Electrical Glitch?

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This has me stumped........My turn signals work great until I've driven the car for about 15 minutes.

Then the left side front and back signals light up, but won't flash. Also, the left indicator on the dash quits lighting up too.

No problems with the right side. I'm not sure where to even begin looking.

I'm with joe on this, resistance building up in the ground would cause the performance of the circuit to change over time.

I would also rework the grounds at the lights, but also suspect a bad flasher. It might be "right on the edge."

I'm with joe on this, resistance building up in the ground would cause the performance of the circuit to change over time.

So, do I look for the ground problem on the left side only or?

I had a similar problem with my 66 Dart C.I had to take the headlight and pot out to clean the harness ground.Hope yours is as easy to fix?Good luck.:-D

I would also rework the grounds at the lights, but also suspect a bad flasher. It might be "right on the edge."

Could a bad flasher only affect the left side? It's easy enough to change if you think that could be it......Thank You

I had a similar problem with my 66 Dart C.I had to take the headlight and pot out to clean the harness ground.Hope yours is as easy to fix?Good luck.:-D

Thx petty. It's getting dark early now and I need them to work! Finally driving this beast.....LOL

check clean and grease them all. the turn signals have a ground on the rad support on each side of the rad.

Thx again Joe......Is the grease used only in the sockets and what kind do you suggest.

Thx again Joe......Is the grease used only in the sockets and what kind do you suggest.

dielectric grease. i used it in the sockets and the regular ground connectors that screw to the body. even if the grounds aren't your problem in this case it will not hurt to clean and grease them up. may even get brighter lights from it. i use the grease on everything. even plug wire ends.

51rVXlx1OVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Check the contacts on the bulb base(s). If they are worn to a dished shape replace the bulb.

Hey guys what about the signal light switch,it can cause all kind of problems,just through it out there,PS love your car.

check clean and grease them all. the turn signals have a ground on the rad support on each side of the rad.

I bought some dielectric grease like you suggested thx. On my Demon the front wiring harness has 2 grounds both going to one connection on the rad support. I took that apart and scraped a little more paint off of one of the connections. It does seem a little better, but not quite fixed yet. The right side still works quite a bit better.......I have more work to do LOL.

Did you recently move the steering column? if so check for a pinched wire

Yes I did EL5, Had the column down a few times installing the new P/S. The problem was there before that though. Thx again for the brackets and your input!!

Check the contacts on the bulb base(s). If they are worn to a dished shape replace the bulb.

I know I've changed out the front bulbs already, but I'll check the rear ones too when time allows. Thank you for your help RedFish!!

Hey guys what about the signal light switch,it can cause all kind of problems,just through it out there,PS love your car.

Good thought Snake and thank you. Will check this out also. As I mentioned earlier, electrical knowledge is still kind of a mystery here LOL :scratch:.

This is what I have found to usually be the culprit. Sometimes all it takes is to rapidly (carefully) move the signal arm back & forth, left side then right. It clears up the gunk. Otherwise, manual cleaning will be in order.

This is what I have found to usually be the culprit. Sometimes all it takes is to rapidly (carefully) move the signal arm back & forth, left side then right. It clears up the gunk. Otherwise, manual cleaning will be in order.

8) Thank you for that info warwagons. I think this will be the next step to try. Pull the switch out and clean it........

I have been using the turn signal arm flashing it, but am afraid something may break, so I really want to fix it.

Just as a matter of information, I have found that the bulbs with a brass base will have a much better ground than the new style nickle silver ones. I even found in my 67 owners manual that they insist that only brass based bulbs be used. I had a turn signal problem in Nellas car that was due to a bad ground because the bulb grounds through the housing. I had the nickle based bulbs in there and changed to the brass based ones and voila, no more turn signal problem. I ain't sayin' this is your problem there Cheryl, but something to look into!!! Good luck with the diagnosis!!! Geof

Thanks for that info Geof. I "think" the bulbs are brass based, but will have to check now that you mention it. Hope to have some time this weekend.

where can ya get the brass based bulbs these days?

I get them at a place called A&L Fleet Supply in Howell, Mich., although I'm sure they are available at other places as well!!! They also stock those cool yellow, red and blue round headlights. Technically, they're not allowed to sell the red and blue ones to the public, but i had a set of the yellow ones for my 64 Belvedere!!! I thought they were cool!! Geof

-
Back