Electrical Gremlin?

-
I'd like to see a photo or two of your gauges when you get around to it

Here is a picture of the dash installed with the key off. I used the needles from the factory gauges that were no good any more and epoxied them to the needles they supplied for a "factory" look. Will post another with the engine running for comparison. Second picture is an exploded view of the gauge assembly, Equis™ are very easy and affordable to work on and they come apart fairly simply as well.

Attachments

• Sony 001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 87
  • Sony 002.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 82
Thanks very much. I don't suppose you have a few photos of "how you did it?"

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but it is fairly simple and straight forward. The gauges are easily taken apart once you remove the front lens/cover. I carefully used a screwdriver and went around the entire perimeter until it would come off. The needle simply pulls off (careful not to bend the shaft)
After that I went to Tap™ plastic and bought a piece of white plastic the same thickness as the factory boards. I traced the boards to the plastic and cut them out, then I drilled the holes for all the lights. The lights came with the gauges and I was able to order two extra packages of just the lamp assemblies. For the wiring I went to Radio Shack™ and bought some Molex™ connectors. As far as the installation goes, it was helpful to have the old boards and factory service manual. The Molex™ fit perfectly into the factory dash wire connectors. I removed them from the holder and connected one at a time then used heat shrink to protect them.

If you ever pull the cluster out, PLEASE do a photo essay of your work!!

Thanks for the details

If you ever pull the cluster out, PLEASE do a photo essay of your work!!

Thanks for the details

Pictures would be nice! There are folks out there who recondition our old gauges, even make a volt meter that replaces the worrisome (for some) ammeter. They are kinda pricy, and your approach shows the kind of ingenuity and craftsmanship (OK, craftPERSONship) that I love to see.

Thanks X-2

BC

Well I was able to get a few minutes under the car today and found the Neutral safety switch only had the center pin left. That explains why the wires were grounded to the firewall. I found another switch but don't have the connector so I am being creative and making my own because the extra wiring harness I have does not match the three pin switch. I will let that sit overnight to harden and hopefully get some time to install it and make sure everything works.

WooooooooHoooooooo finally got everything working! I did have to take the instrument cluster out again so here are the pics of the backside. It turned out to be the fusible link and the connector so I followed the link and instructions that others posted here. That was greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Sony 003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Sony 007.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Sony 005.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 56
The only thing you left out, LOL, is converting the oil lamp to a gauge!!! Nice!!!

Thanks 67Dart273, I did consider that but it would have looked crappy with the Dart dash. I will keep the light and have an underdash gauge. You have been a GREAT help, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
I should have mentioned this in the beginning that the car is a 69 that I am converting to a 68 which made things more complicated for me, especially the side marker lights. It looks great having the running lights on with the headlights on! The only thing left to do as far as electrical is run an wire to the back of the car for the rear side marker lights.

-
Back