Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits?

-

jalake

Reaction score
I've read through a lot of threads on here and am aware of a few options when it comes to switching from points to electronic ignition. I was wondering if there are any complete kits out there though.

Perhaps it is a little bit lazy on my part, but I'd like to have the assurance that I'm getting everything I need in one fell swoop.

Barring that, does anyone have a shopping list of what I'd need to pick up to swap my original points distributor to electronic? (Dist, coil, ECU, plug wires etc.)

Perhaps there's even ready-to-run options for the Slant now? I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Jerry

You know Pertronics makes a replacement module that converts points distributors to electronic (The III version even has a built in digital rev limiter.)

That and a 40 dollar E core coil and you have it made.

HEI, electronic ignition and rev limiter.
It'll cost ya less that $250

You know Pertronics makes a replacement module that converts points distributors to electronic (The III version even has a built in digital rev limiter.)

That and a 40 dollar E core coil and you have it made.

HEI, electronic ignition and rev limiter.
It'll cost ya less that $250

I've looked a little bit at the Pertronix stuff. (wasn't sure the III version was applicable to my 225) ... I would also need to get different plug wires as well, correct?

Thanks,
Jerry

I use the Pertronix Igniter II and the Pertronix Flamethrower 40,000 volt coil in my 66 Barracuda. It burns clean and looks stock. And...according to the instructions, I bypassed my ballast resister.

A FABO member offers complete kits to convert to HEI. See http://www.classichei.com/

I use the Pertronix Igniter II and the Pertronix Flamethrower 40,000 volt coil in my 66 Barracuda. It burns clean and looks stock. And...according to the instructions, I bypassed my ballast resister.

A FABO member offers complete kits to convert to HEI. See http://www.classichei.com/

Thanks. I will take a look when I'm not at work. That site (along with most sites) is blocked by the work firewall as "uncategorized."

-Jerry

Thanks. I will take a look when I'm not at work. That site (along with most sites) is blocked by the work firewall as "uncategorized."

-Jerry

That site is mine, but you would still need an electronic distributor.
You can still get them at Autozone and places like that, AND you can use your existing plug wires unless they cause a problem (usually don't) as long as they are decent wires.

If you decide to get an electronic distributor be sure to keep the lock down plate where it bolts to the block, as new ones don't come with them.

Coil $18.98 your choice of black, red or blue. Get a GM 4 pin module and OEM electronic distributor ....

3854_1_-500x500.jpg

http://www.revsauto.com/ELECTRICAL/...output-external-male-e-core-ignition-coil-red

Another vote for Pertronix. I use em all the time to keep the stock look.

Pertronix work great!! easy to install, run a direct 12 volt wire and that's it. I run a Igniter III with rev control and a Flamethrower coil on my 340 motor. I believe you will need model 1361A for your slant 6. Good luck.

I'm honestly super happy with the points driven t.f.i. module home made ignition. It was decently cheap to make and wire with a relay triggered from the ballast resistor hot. Module drives a high output accel yellow cannister coil. Points gap and rubbing block needs to be checked once in a while still. But almost no current through the points means the faces never wear. Module sets the dwell regardless of gap.

Pertronix is the best and simplest. Avoid Ignitor I since still requires a ballast so is similar to the 1970's Mopar system, Ignitor II is much better (no ballast), and III adds MSD and/or rev limiter.

The only other "all in one box" I know for a slant is the 1970's Mopar setup, which racing stores re-package and sell for big bucks (link in post 8 ). Lesser technology, more work, more cost, more clutter. Make sense?

Someday, Ningboa might make an HEI distributor for the slant, like they do for small and big block. Those owners have it even easier and cheaper.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'm going to opt for the Ignotor II at this time and see what the future holds after that.

E-distributor, dual ballast, ECU and electronic regulator, squareback alternator...This is what a stock setup looks like. E-regulator probably is not mandatory but is so much better anyway.
Mopar_Electronic_Ignition_diagram.jpg

-
Back