Electronic ignition conversion

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
I have been looking at kits with the orange gold silver red box etc, i have no clue? I am not sure i want to add an MSD or a Crane box? is there a decent reliable factory ignition that will work for a 400 hp 340 in a 71 duster?

Yea, the GM HEI conversion.
It's the slant six forum but the same works for v8's
http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779

I have been looking at kits with the orange gold silver red box etc, i have no clue? I am not sure i want to add an MSD or a Crane box? is there a decent reliable factory ignition that will work for a 400 hp 340 in a 71 duster?

I love my HEI conversion, never that impressed with Mopar ignitions...

All you need is your present Mopar or Mopar compatible breakerless distributor

AND a good quality mid 70's (4 pin) HEI module

Mount it to a small heat sink, I even just have mine mounted to a flat area on the firewall. There is a small "tit" on the back of the module that must be broken off, or a clearance hole drilled for it to sit in. Use the supplied thermal grease, wire it up like this:

You don't need your ballast, hook the blue and brown together (bypass it)

Look at the (poor) drawing of the distributor connector. The drawing represents the exposed male side of the connector at top, hooked to the connector shown. You can buy those little 2 wire trailer type connectors at any parts store to obtain one. I didn't even bother to use a small size push on connector on the one undersized terminal. I simply carefully "tightened" the grip of a 1/4" one for that terminal

zu5qn8.jpg

Standard Motor Products LX-301 is a good one

Attachments

• LX301.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 804
There isn't a "kit" to do it that I know of (unless you count the distributors they sell). You just piece it together.

This is a slick little bracket for the module. http://www.designed2drive.com/

You supply the module and new coil.

I don't care for the cost of that distributor mount just to hold the ECU.
This way it's all in one spot.
What I was thinking to do was house this unit in a nice moisture proof aluminum container.

Attachments

• HEI_IC22_Bracket.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 854
I don't care for the cost of that distributor mount just to hold the ECU.
This way it's all in one spot.
What I was thinking to do was house this unit in a nice moisture proof aluminum container.

That thing is too big and bulky not to mention ugly looking for me to just bolt to my fender well. In a box it may look better but will be huge still.

Any of the ecoils are about that same size and still has to be mounted somewhere no matter where the ECU is.

That thing is too big and bulky not to mention ugly looking for me to just bolt to my fender well. In a box it may look better but will be huge still.

i know what the e-coil looks like. the one i have (never installed it yet) is in its own little mount that looks a lot cleaner then that mount. its smaller too because the module isn't mounted with it.

Is there an upper limit to RPM with the stock type HEI module? I see several aftermarket companies claim 7-7500rpm with theirs? What will the stock unit rev to?

Usually the stock HEI module is good to around 6500 rpm and cost around $23. If you run at higher speed, get the GM "990" performance module that is rated to 9900 rpm. You can get these directly from GM or at Napa and cost around $50.

By the way, I am the owner of the www.designed2drive.com website.

Powerflite,
Your link didn't work until I noticed you mispelled your own site. Since the original post, TrailBeast (above) now sells an HEI kit (8-pin module, heat sink, coil, cables) for $99. Many get the parts from a junkyard GM V-8 TBI engine, as I did.

Your kit is only for V-8 distributors. One can get a complete new ready-to-run distributor w/ built-in HEI for only $45 on ebay, but only for SB and RB engines. Somebody makes an HEI plate for slant e-distributors, but that is nasty place to put an HEI module. The 8-pin module is better since it has Metripak connectors and the option for computer control of timing.

Sorry for the typo in the link. I fixed it.

Yes, thankfully there are multiple options to get the job done. This is just the method that I liked best and I thought I would make it available for those people that like it too.

If you would like computer control, I have a version that will fit the 7 pin HEI computer contol module, but the 8 pin is just too big to fit there well.

Davis unified ignition makes a HEI for Mopars compleat kit
That looks like stock ignition . They will build your ignition to spec of
Your car (cam size ect) for about 300$ works greatwww.performancedistributors.com/

-
Back