Elelctric cars are boring right??

-
As sad as it makes me, I give it 15 years, tops, before these things are standard issue.

I look forward to putting zoomies on my Dart so I can splash leaded 112 race fuel residue all over the side of electric cars sitting next to me in traffic!

The guy from across the street drives one home about every night. They sound different. I don't care for it but that's me. If I worked at a dealership and said drive this I would lol.

I'd love one. We can have the best of both worlds. Non-polluting drive around city cars and muscle cars. Naysayers said the same thing about the motor car. In fact it took Benzs wife to test drive the horseless carriage because horses were held in such high regard and the church frowned on technology at the time. Progress gentlemen. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy both.

My main worry is the cost of replacing the batteries in a few years.

It is all fine and dandy to have electric cars if you choose to drive one. I prefer not to. Fishbreath made statement about cost of battery, they are not cheap. Also, if they were popular the volt would be selling like widefire but they are not. Don't forget our power grid could not handle all of us trying to charge our cars and have ac running in our homes on an 80 degree night. That is a recipe for a BLACKOUT. Also the biggest factor is the cost. I will drive my 1500 Ram and my Demon til the wheels fall off then replace them with new ones.

Just my 2 cents but i like electric cars. I have always wondered if i put an electric motor in my duster would it still be ok to play leader of the pack.vrum vrum...

Unfortunately, I do not think that battery powered vehicles are the future. There are too many issues with batteries including a roughly 20% loss in capacity per year, and long recharging cycles that make them not user friendly. With new oil finds in the US along with new engine technologies, gasoline and diesel engines will provide low cost reliable power for vehicles for decades to come. Toyota and other car makers are moving away from EV's as customer satisfaction is not high. Even hybrid vehicles are falling down in sales.
As for emissions, especially GHG emissions, EV's are worse than gasoline vehicles in states other than California. This is due to the inherent inefficiencies in electricity transporation and recharging of batteries. In CA, an EV is only a 30% improvement in CO2 emissions, and in Colorado, it is 50% worse than a gasoline vehicle. So you are not "saving the environment" by buying an EV, just wasteing money. And considering that Global Warming hasn't happened as the UN states, one wonders why we are even worrying about this at all. Lots of facts behind these statements. Do your research and reach your own conclusions.
This is my areas of expertise as I work in the alternative energy sector.
Bob

I'd love one. We can have the best of both worlds. Non-polluting .

"Non polluting."

Just where is it "non polluting?" You have a solar array in your backyard to recharge the batteries? Frankly, I doubt it.

So the re-charge power has to come from SOMEWHERE

And just what are you gonna do with all those batteries when they need replaced? And no cop--out. You can't claim "by then I'll trade it off." You have only passed the problem on to someone else.

Nobody has yet to convince me that hybrids/ electrics are much better than anything else WHEN YOU add up the end to end enviromental and natural resources cost of them.

So this includes not only the very same costs as a gasoline car, but now we must also add the electric motors, controllers, and BATTERIES

The projected life of these by the Pree *** people is pure bullshit. Simply compare supposed batttery life of one of these to ANY consumer product you own, your laptop, I--thing, phone, or DSLR/ video cam. These batteries don't work so well after 3-4 years, do they? Replacement batteries for my Canon DSLR are EXPENSIVE.

I cannot imagine that replacing a Pree-*** or any other battery pack in one of these in XX? years would be financially worthwhile.

Meanwhile, we charge them up from a coal fired power plant and convince ourselves it's "clean."

Mopar (oops, FIAT) will introduce an electric 500 soon, already on the radio...I would drive one to work and around town. All I need is 50 miles a charge per night, and the ability to replace the powertrain for about $500 used out of a wrecker...is that gonna happen soon? Guess Ill stick with my paid off 32MPG beater Breeze. BTW in CA, they lease the Nissan Leaf now, $168 a month. That is pretty cheap considering its almost free to run and you get CA carpool access (worth $100 right there)...

well. Electrick car would be way too cold now, its -20 celcuis now... will stick my v8 duster and 5cyl Volvo.

BUT. Electric engine is way better, but broblem is power for it. Batteries today are crap,
But someday electric engine will be common in cars, but it will take long time.

I think we will see more natural\bio gas powered cars. I think I read somewere that there is about 150years worth natural gas in earth.
and best thing is that you can run your old v8 on that stuff.
I have even seen el Camino run on wood gas here in finland

The Volt got really good reviews for driveability and handling, much better than the average gas sedan. However, cost is very high without the government subsidy, and I expect battery replacement will be high, judging from my older notebok PC's. I wonder if operation is as cheap as claimed. Where I live, our electric bill already has some kW-hr in "tier 2" where the price almost doubles (16c). I already converted to a gas dryer and water heater, and we are careful with lights and pool pump. Charging an electric car could push into the very pricy "tier 3".

The Volt got really good reviews for driveability and handling, much better than the average gas sedan. However, cost is very high without the government subsidy, and I expect battery replacement will be high, judging from my older notebok PC's. I wonder if operation is as cheap as claimed. Where I live, our electric bill already has some kW-hr in "tier 2" where the price almost doubles (16c). I already converted to a gas dryer and water heater, and we are careful with lights and pool pump. Charging an electric car could push into the very pricy "tier 3".

Good, God! I don't believe I could stand to live in that nanny state. Tiered electricity pricing? I wonder how the geniuses there determined where the kWh tiers would fall.

well. Electrick car would be way too cold now, its -20 celcuis now...

and that is one excellent point which I forgot.

You go OUT to your frozen, even here sometimes gets below 0 F, sometimes LOTS. So now your battery back is what, 20 % of it's normal rating? As I speak it's abnormally warm here, but still in the low 40's F at 4:pM. Even that temp degrades battery ratings by nearly half

And heat then is WHAT? Electric seat heaters? Conventional hot water head from the tiny under-used 1 banger? and we add...............

headlights, something for windshield/ rear/ side defrost, other running lights, stereo, charging our laptop/ I-thing, etc, GPS and I don't--know--what--else.

If these things use electric heat, your average bathroom wall heater is at least a KW, so think about that. Is a KW going to heat a car? Maybe. What kind of drain is that on the battery pack? LOTS.

We haven't even begun to address winter driving. It takes LOTS more power to push through snow, even on plowed roads, and since you cannot go as fast on snowy, icy, roads, your mileage just went right out the door, but YOU STILL need the headlights, heater, etc during all this time.

The Enviro's never want to talk about the amount of Industrial pollution and toxic materials required to produce the huge battery packs that don't last worth a damn and then have to be recycled which has another huge cost. Forget about using them in the winter.

i would buy this one if they make it lol says it currently on hold. Recharge on standard home 110/220 current — full charge in four hours on 220 or eight hours on 110. • Eschews the Hemi engine for a lithium-ion battery pack. • 0-to-60 time in under five seconds. • Range of 150-200 miles

Attachments

• dodge-electric-sports-car_100184317_m.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 249
I built my own electric car in the early 80's. I started with a 1966 VW Beetle. I built the motor adapter using the rear of blown engine as the adapter plate. The motor was a GE 2CM77 aircraft starter-generator. The batteries were deep-discharge lead acid. I also designed and built a SCR capacitive commutated PWM speed control with regenerative braking. It was up and running for about $2000, including the $50 VW. My wife and I drove it daily, all we could for about 3 years. I junked the body and kept the motor, adapter and controller. At that time the second set of batteries were consumed, and the salt rusted the body.

The car was reliable and fairly economical, in operating cost however the batteries were a significant expense.

I was waiting for better batteries, the weakest part. It has been so long, to get back in it would take a complete redesign. It might be easier to buy a Nissan Leaf, they will build it not far away.

Plus no oil and mess. It's progress. Just like the first car, the horseless carriage made by Benz. He was so insecure of his invention that his wife test drove it without his knowledge and along the way invented the first brake pad at a leather shop as his wooden brake didn't work very well. She made a 67km journey to her sisters house and basically marketed the car by driving it breaking the stigma and fear of mechanized transportation. Progress faces naysayers all the time until it becomes mainstream. Plus cleaner energy is in the wind and the more things progress, the easier it is to manufacture. Think of the supercomputers of yesteryear that filled entire floors in office blocks. Now we communicate with them from home. Amazing!

-
Back