Embarrased that I'm asking

-
X3 on remove adapter and put in vise, BUT on the worst one I had I removed the shell and then removed last of the filter while seeing the threads of oil filter base from inside the filter(what was left) But I won in the end.

I have had problems like this before, but not on a mopar small block.

I bought a big socket wrench that fits on the end of the filter and has a big nut on the end of it. It has the dimples that match the dimples on the end of the filter. It also has a 3/8 square socket drive in the end of it - you can stuff a breaker bar or ratchet wrench into.

Otherwise the BF screwdriver is a suggestion. As messy as it will be I'd go at it from below, get the car up as high as practical.

As mentioned above - If you have a 90 * adapter on the motor, try taking it off - that might be your best bet. Downside is you will need a new gasket set to reinstall it.

I've had good luck by using two strap type filter wrenches at the same time. Slide the handles to opposite sides (or as close as possible).

I have done both the strap wrench and large channel locks. Either way grab the filter as high up as you can, that way you can put the most torque on it without the filter crushing.

In the end, you almost have to make sure something slips and you bang your hand on something so you shed a little bit of blood.
They never work unless you give a blood sacrifice.

I have a scar on my right hand from an oil filter that wouldn't budge. It was on an old girlfriend's car. Factory oil filter had never been changed at 20k miles. Eventually, it let go and the frame gashed my hand open. Damned Ford!

Snap on strap wrench or pound a screw driver through it. I do oil changes on forklifts everyday , I have not met a filter that a screw driver won't take off(yet).

The first car I bought was a 64 Dodge Polara with a 318. Tried everything to get the filter off for the first oil change including the screwdriver, which only cut the filter in two. Had it towed to a shop and they got it off with huge channellocks. Good Luck!

you might loosen the motor mount and jack the engine up some. then try putting a heat lamp on it and get it warmed up. it may help ya. good luck, mike

68 D100 383/auto. same scenario, sat FOREVER and a day in a field, had a metal oil filter fluted socket, twisted the filter, grabbed a chain wrench, twisted it some more, grabbed channel locks, twisted it off, next, brass punch and a hammer, curled the edge of the filter just enough so i could break the surface tension that the seal was creating, then grabbed a chisel, sprayed some PB Blaster on the mounting stud (since by that point all that was left was the filter base and i could see the stud right there) got the chisel to bite into the steel base of the filter, and an hour later, voila! spun right off. that was a 6 beer job.....

try turning the oil filter wrench at the base of the filter. might slip a bit but you have to get good leverage to get a solid grip on it.

68 D100 383/auto. same scenario, sat FOREVER and a day in a field, had a metal oil filter fluted socket, twisted the filter, grabbed a chain wrench, twisted it some more, grabbed channel locks, twisted it off, next, brass punch and a hammer, curled the edge of the filter just enough so i could break the surface tension that the seal was creating, then grabbed a chisel, sprayed some PB Blaster on the mounting stud (since by that point all that was left was the filter base and i could see the stud right there) got the chisel to bite into the steel base of the filter, and an hour later, voila! spun right off. that was a 6 beer job.....

Slow drinker?

Slow drinker?

with the beer I drink, I have to, or the job doesnt get done. haha! (ask me how i forgot to put the tiny c-clip on that holds the side hung float on its pivot-stud in a holley 4160...) Faceplant from bayern brewery in missoula, its 7.5%, unfiltered, non-pasteurized chew-it-before-you-drink-it deliciousness!! omnomnomnomnomn!!!!!!!!!

Get a bunch of your buddies to turn the car while you hold the filter! But you will have to hold on tight.

Havent heard this method yet, as long as the filter hasnt been harpooned. Put a couple quarts of fresh oil in it and drive it to jiffy lube! :cheers:

-
Back