engine build for reliability

-
hell a 440 could be stone cold reliable in the car.. engine size really isn't an issue especially if its closer to a stock build...

to me parts availability is a big part of it too.. when ya start getting into msd dist and things like that you may not be able to run into your corner store for the parts to fix it...

keep it simple in my opinion...
Brother we can't do that now, they order it

I would do the headlight relay mod. So the headlights get direct battery voltage instead of going through the the interior of the car. Brighter headlight s. The benefit of the toyota alt is it is internally regulated.

I would do the headlight relay mod. So the headlights get direct battery voltage instead of going through the the interior of the car. Brighter headlight s. The benefit of the toyota alt is it is internally regulated.
I have one on my car, looks like this but still uses factory fuse. Lights are nice and bright all the time.

ACX2034-2.jpg

hell a 440 could be stone cold reliable in the car.. engine size really isn't an issue especially if its closer to a stock build...

to me parts availability is a big part of it too.. when ya start getting into msd dist and things like that you may not be able to run into your corner store for the parts to fix it...

keep it simple in my opinion...

Actualy my MSD probillet distributor has run most of its miles with a GM cap and rotor,cant remember partnumber or application but you just ask for a stock cap and rotor for some old smallblock chevy with breakers from the pre HEI era and you will be good(except the sparkpluggterminals that runs HEI style terminals but not realy a problem either just replace wires aswell.)

Cap and rotor are the least of my worries. It’s circuit board inside. I bought an extra one for my RTR msd dist Incase. Wasn’t cheap though

So let's say you are going to build a small block and the most important goal is reliability. Say your daughter will be driving it. I have a 70 Duster and 69 Dart and both are pretty much blank slates. Both are 318s/ Here are a few of my thoughts.

mini-starter
Toyota alternator
MSD ignition and distributor
fuel injection? Not sure of type
bypass alternator gauge, continuous high-current wire thru bulkhead fitting.

What would you do? Say expense is no object.
Talk to @AndyF it sounds like a 470 is in her future...

Cap and rotor are the least of my worries. It’s circuit board inside. I bought an extra one for my RTR msd dist Incase. Wasn’t cheap though
Doubt you will find a stock mopar ECU at your local corner autopartsstore aswell..
I see what you are saying but what im trying to say here is that alot of times aftermarket parts are based on something stock anyway just takes alitle research,and i do see your point in wanting to have spareparts for every occasion,im that kind of person aswell.

Doubt you will find a stock mopar ECU at your local corner autopartsstore aswell..
Are you kidding?
A Chryco type amplifier such as SMP's LX101 is super common.
And if not in the store, it will be at one of their distributors and they'll have it in that day.

Are you kidding?
A Chryco type amplifier such as SMP's LX101 is super common.
And if not in the store, it will be at one of their distributors and they'll have it in that day.

Getting one to the store in a timely fashion is one thing,i was talking about just walking into the store and picking one up without preordering it. The cars they are used on are getting old by partsstores standards,not yours or my standards.

Getting one to the store in a timely fashion is one thing,i was talking about just walking into the store and picking one up without preordering it. The cars they are used on are getting old by partsstores standards,not yours or my standards.
Yup. That's what I'm talking about too.
Just for fun.
Checked Autozone, they've got 'em at two stores in North Philadelphia, :) but not in South or West. :(
They also have them in stock at their Berlin, NJ store. :)
A-zone not would not be my first choice for stores, but their on-line info about store stock is easy to use.

-
Back