Engine Builder (DALLAS)

-

krondo.wg

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good engine builder near Dallas? I think I'm in a little over my head here..

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm willing to travel a few hours if needed.

Yes.. Dallas, Tx.

I originally had the engine at City Motor, but after taking it across town an additional 3 times for mistakes, I don't trust anything that's been done to it.

For all the trouble that you've had it may have been cheaper to ship it to me to have it done. JK

What was all the mistakes?

I probably could have sent it off you to, and it would have been cheaper!

Well first, they forgot to order the rod bearings setting me behind a week and a half.

Then they didn't align the oil holes on the cam bearings. They were 1/2 to 3/4 blocked off.

Then the cam bearing closest to the thrust plate had a notch in it big and deep enough to hide a grain of rice. That's when I realized they reused my old cam bearings, and charged me for new ones.

Then as I got the motor up on an engine stand I hear metal clanking around in the water jacket. It turned out to be a freeze plug they busted through, and never retreived.

And to top it off, it was supposed to come with the rotating assy put together for me, which it did not. I'm happy about that, because they probably would have messed up on the torque specs, cleaniness, or anything else for that matter.

The only other place here in town is Blains, and they're known for swapping blocks on you. I'd like to keep it as a numbers matching car.

Oh and I almost forgot!!! These guys drag blocks around on the concrete floor. Granted it's being dragged on the dowls that line up the tranny, but still.. Either gimme new dowls, or pick that engine up, and set it on some rollers.

I used Wells Racing in Duncanville, Tx for all my machine work. They do mostly circle track, however when I went and vistited, I noticed they had Hemis, 427 Fords, 409',s and a little of everything. I was surprised of their knowledge of Mopars, as they mostly do Chevy's. But I've heard great things about BJR, so they would probably be well worth it. Just my .02.

There a guy in the Cowtown Mopars that's supposed to be pretty good with engines - Miller Performance. Mike Miller is the owner. He is located in Fort Worth and is a stand-up guy. Very Active in the club. Matter of fact, he is the webmaster for www.cowtownmopars.com

His # is 817 - 831 - 1760

Mike is a Great Guy use him or ship to BJR I Have met Bobby and company at BJR and they are good folks also.
My02.
Frank

There a guy in the Cowtown Mopars that's supposed to be pretty good with engines - Miller Performance. Mike Miller is the owner. He is located in Fort Worth and is a stand-up guy. Very Active in the club. Matter of fact, he is the webmaster for www.cowtownmopars.com

His # is 817 - 831 - 1760

Ditto. Mike can take care of you. He races a hot little title-winning '79 AMC Spirit. Take a look at his web site: http://www.millerperformance.net/

Jerry

Yeah...Mike is a great guy alright.:finga: He forked me on a deal, and to this day has done nothing to make it right. And whenever he sees me he acts like all is well and I should be his best friend.

I wouldn't let the guy near anything I own.:mumum::angry5::angryfir:

Good thing I build my own motors.

Diamondback Engines is near Houston and specializes in mopar engines. They have a web page and forum.

Keep the suggestions comin!! Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry to hear about your problem 68sedan :(, I'll have to keep that in mind.

I called Diamondback, and had a really great conversation with Damon. He mentioned Wayne Calverts which is alot closer to home. He also said he could only speak for Wayne's work, and that he hasn't dealt with his son in over 5 years.

I'll look into Wells and cowtown later on today.

Thanks again fabo

Yeah, it's a shame. I was in the club for almost 20 years. Been Prez, Vice Prez, Activities Director. Never screwed anyone on a deal ever. And this was the second time a club member screwed me on something. But what kills me is that lil sonofabitch acts like I should be his friend.

I'd toss my hat in the ring for your motor build, but I've got a bit much on my plate right now. If you need it soon, I'm out.

Farris racing Engines 817-221-1590
Less Adams works there and is top notch old school and knows a bunch of combo's!

-
Back