Engine Choices: What interests you the most?

What is the best Engine option for a 71 Swinger Street / Strip Application?

• 408 Stroker, supercharged

Votes: 61 34.3%
  • Modern HEMI swap, EFI or Carb

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • High Performance 440

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Other Recommendation?

Votes: 27 15.2%

• Total voters
-

kevinpowertv

Reaction score
Hey A-body enthusiasts.

I am eager for some direction for my 71 Dart Swinger. Working for a media company, I would love to hear what you guys think is the more interesting and "read worthy" option for a new power plant. I will be publishing several articles to continue to follow the build and would like to put in some "market research" before we pull the trigger on a engine option.

So, here are the choices! Please let me know which option you think would not only work best for the car, but also be the coolest option to go with.

Overall Objective: Street / Strip, 10-10.5 Street Car, Show Quality

1. 408 Stroker, supercharged
2. Modern HEMI swap, EFI or Carb
3. High Performance 440
4. Other Recommendation?

sm blk stroker is the only option if you want good ride,handling and braking on the street.
it will also fill the 10.5 strip requirement with 3.91's

Nothing that really belongs in an A body. The older I get, the more I like the obscure and unusual. I guess it's the rat rod thing I like so much. Like International gas V8 engines. Kinda always wanted to put a 549 in something. And the GMC 702 V12. The more obscure the better.

Nothing that really belongs in an A body. The older I get, the more I like the obscure and unusual. I guess it's the rat rod thing I like so much. Like International gas V8 engines. Kinda always wanted to put a 549 in something. And the GMC 702 V12. The more obscure the better.

Would be cool, but need to stay true to Mopar and not build anything that's to Frankenstein. Need to be allowed on the drag strip! Lol.

I voted for High performance 440, cheaper then a hemi but still a COOL engine, a lot of people are opting for the hemi swap or small block stroker, I like semi different stuff, Know what I mean?:blob:

I voted modern Hemi, only if EFI.

I like power vs. weight options.

The 408 is intriguing but that is already built a bit to get there, whereas the modern Hemi is almost a stock engine so the power ceiling is higher and there are more and more aftermarket support parts available.

Pretty much have to chop off the front of the car and start over to fit that one in, right? New k-member, etc.

if you want to get more info about putting a Gen II Hemi in a A body give us a call and check the website. There are just a couple of things that need to be done for it to fit properly, but they have to be done!

Greg
623-465-7277
http://www.ssandafx.com/

Attachments

• DSCN1369.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCN1371.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 602
I vote for a stroked 440(max cubes) with alluminum heads to keep the weight down/handling with an EFI system and definately a manual trans how about a passon 5 speed?

Hey A-body enthusiasts.

I am eager for some direction for my 71 Dart Swinger. Working for a media company, I would love to hear what you guys think is the more interesting and "read worthy" option for a new power plant. I will be publishing several articles to continue to follow the build and would like to put in some "market research" before we pull the trigger on a engine option.

So, here are the choices! Please let me know which option you think would not only work best for the car, but also be the coolest option to go with.

Overall Objective: Street / Strip, 10-10.5 Street Car, Show Quality

1. 408 Stroker, supercharged
2. Modern HEMI swap, EFI or Carb
3. High Performance 440
4. Other Recommendation?

IMO the "cool" option is a turbo slant or other oddball (possibly non-mopar) powerplant.

The others have been done to death in every possible way.

Bored, stroked, blown and injected slant.

Be different, be fast, be popular.

Who wouldn't love to a 300 cubic inch, FI slant with twin turbos?

My answer is simple, no matter what MoPar engine your doing,

"Think outside of the box!"

I also like a little comparative builds. Let me give you an Example:

Build whT ever engine it is, we'll just use a stroked 360 for example because there readily available and inexpensive building block, pun intended, and equip it with the basic hot ridding parts. Dyno it, report it, then, wonder outloud what/how would it do with F.I.? Dyno it, report it, then wonder a again what would a super charger so for it.

Uncommon parts make for interesting reads or watching the TV. Mundane parts make for mundane TV/articles. Making use of a Weiand intake and a stock TQ for a base engine is different. How many people have you seen run that? Vs. a RPM and a typical Edelbrock or Holley carb. Heck! There out there by the millions!

Boooooooo rrrrrrr innnnnng! ZZZZZZ zzzzzz ZZZZZZ zzzzzz

Amuse me! Excite me! Make me wanna stand up and cheer!

Good luck with your project!

IMHO , screw the slant 6 and NO WAY to a non MoPar power plant in a MoPar!
I can always see that down the block. Swapping engines between manufactures.

410 with twin turbos. If done right could be around same price as supercharger.

This thread may get ugly fast. Haha

I see your down in Murrieta. Not very far at all from me. You got a shop down there?

-
Back