Engine color Red or blue????

-

MObarracuda

Reaction score
I am replacing my 273 from my 1967 Plymouth barracuda fastback with a block date code 1972 340. The top is all going to be eledbtick aluminum components from the intake, valve covers to the air cleaner the cylinder heads.

I need to decide on the color of the bottom half of the engine. I know no one's going to hardly see any color once installed it but I've read comments on this site that red scares people more than blue. I don't know what was ment by the comment.

Do you stick with the color the engine was painted during the time period the car was built? 1967 - red or 1972 block - blue?

Is the blue over red a commonly held belief?

I'd like the forums thoughts on the matter.

Definitely go with red... car is a 67 so has a red engine. Motor won't be 'original' anyway with the Ebrock bolt-ons.

Unless your going for a numbers correct car paint it what you want. I can't insert threads but there was a show your engine thread that had some awesome looking engines. I painted mine Chevy orange( I know, blasphemy) because hemi orange just didn't look good with my body color.

I like Chrysler Red; just personal preference. VHT's Chrysler Red engine paint is a dead-on match to the original in the early 60's at least, BTW.

go with ford blue and paint the engine compartment chevy black.

All joking aside, RED!

Car color for reference

IMG_9340.JPG

Unless your going for a numbers correct car paint it what you want. I can't insert threads but there was a show your engine thread that had some awesome looking engines. I painted mine Chevy orange( I know, blasphemy) because hemi orange just didn't look good with my body color.
I agree....I purchased a can of VHT hemi-orange and yuk! Looks like a jack-o-lantern.

if the whole top end is gonna be alumn then who cares what color the short block is? its all personal preference at that point. it would be different if you were going for the stock look.

Factory would be red. I ended up going with Street Hemi Orange because my car is white and engine bay really pops when you open the hood. I chose my combo because my buddy had a 68 Formula S Cuda that was white with a street hemi orange motor and it hit you in the face when you opened the hood and more so if it was sunny out.

Picture 3326.jpg

Factory would be red. I ended up going with Street Hemi Orange because my car is white and engine bay really pops when you open the hood. I chose my combo because my buddy had a 68 Formula S Cuda that was white with a street hemi orange motor and it hit you in the face when you opened the hood and more so if it was sunny out.

View attachment 1715026183
That really looks good.

I agree....I purchased a can of VHT hemi-orange and yuk! Looks like a jack-o-lantern.
What about the HP Orange, not the Hemi orange? If it were Me,(& it's not), I'd go red,...if not I'd do a black block & try to keep the al-u-minimum clean w/a never-dull like
product.

if the whole top end is gonna be alumn then who cares what color the short block is? its all personal preference at that point. it would be different if you were going for the stock look.

This was kinda my thinking. Go with the color you think looks best with the aluminum accessories.

I paint all my engines Ford light blue. I think a well known old superstock racer used it and renamed it.
I learned of this in the 70's.

True Chrysler Red is has a lot of orange-ness to it. So if you like orange, then you won't be far off.

True Chrysler Red is has a lot of orange-ness to it. So if you like orange, then you won't be far off.
True that. Depending what light and camera you take it looks orange red. I messed with red's before using Chrysler Industrial Red as what I thought was the correct color. The distributor is original, the oil pan is Chrysler red, and the oil filter adapter is the old International Harvester red.

engine 166.jpg

I just tried mopar engine paint. Looks a lot like international Harverster red. Pn#P4349218AB.

IMG_9470.JPG

IMG_9471.JPG

Color is in the eye of the holder but I tried VHT is hemi-orange and it looks too much like Halloween to me. Yuk

IMG_9473.JPG

IMG_9474.JPG

Try VHT Chrysler Red; it is not in every store. I compared it to the original paint on a '62 /6 distributor water shield and it was dead-on. The VHT is on the right on this pix:

DSCN1323.JPG

red scares people
This alone would make me paint red. the very last thing I want someone to say is - "that's cute" or pretty. I painted mine Silver. And my firewalls black. And don't let nobody tell you my firewalls are Chevy black! Their rattle can black, damn it!
I agree with everybody telling you to paint it the color that makes you say that's badass cool not what somebody else thinks it should look like.

-
Back