Engine Colors

-

old dog

Reaction score
Doing a rebuild on a 1966 Dart GT Conv. with a 225 slant 6. Can not find any definitive word on the factory color for the engine. See other rebuilds on line in both colors, Tractor Orange/Red or MOPAR Blue. Any authorities out there?
Thanks

Iam having a 360 built for my 65 dart restoration project,,hes a pro engine builder ,he swears the black paint will keep it cooler!! Iam taking his word!

Thanks for the input. When we took the engine out the block had both red and blue on it. In some areas the red was on bottom and on others the blue looked to be on bottom. The MOPAR site is non committal on that year/model. Orange/Red it will be.

Factory was Red

As far as the black paint releaving heat. I always beleived that. Most air cooled iron cylinders on all motorcycles are semi gloss black. Never use gloss black. Just what I was always told when building Harleys or old twins with iron cylinders. So there must be some trueth in it.

Doing a rebuild on a 1966 Dart GT Conv. with a 225 slant 6. Can not find any definitive word on the factory color for the engine. See other rebuilds on line in both colors, Tractor Orange/Red or MOPAR Blue. Any authorities out there?
Thanks

Red. As it gets old and used it can look more orange but it was red. Blue started in1970.

img055.jpg

Yup, they faded to orange/red over the last 50 or so years. They were very red when they left the factory back in 66.

-
Back