Engine cutting out on sharp left turn

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hi all

As the title says...

My Slant6 will cut out intermittently when I make a sharp left turn... sometimes if i manage to "catch" it i.e. shift quickly into N and blip the throttle, the engine will rev back up and will drive fine again... until the next left turn that is... it is fine on RH turns.

What could have caused this? The fuel level in the tank is more than half and im running the original mechanical fuel pump.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Syed

Syed, a carb rebuild would probably be where i would start. Being in Malaysia i'm sure it's not easy to get parts? Taking it apart just to clean and check float level would almost be impossible without a kit.

I would have to guess the carb float or needle and seat is the culprit. maybe time for a rebuild.........hey I think "Oldmanrick" and I are on the same page again...LOL !

Syed, a carb rebuild would probably be where i would start. Being in Malaysia i'm sure it's not easy to get parts? Taking it apart just to clean and check float level would almost be impossible without a kit.

Did that a couple of months ago. i.e. rebuilt the carb. Its a Holley 1920 taken from a running car (a fellow forumer's car) which I and my Father in Law rebuilt using a rebuild kit we ordered from Ebay. Ran "perfect" all this while... until very recently that is.

Syed

I would have to guess the carb float or needle and seat is the culprit. maybe time for a rebuild.........hey I think "Oldmanrick" and I are on the same page again...LOL !
Not related here, but congrats on your show win FOP.

Read my post above, the carb was rebuild 2 months ago and ran perfect till very recently :)

Thanks anyway.

Syed

The only other thing i could think of would be a wire in the ignition system moving and grounding out, but the fact that you can neutral it and keep it running still leads back to the carb. Just a wild guess, how's your fuel filter?

I think I would still pop the carb. apart and check to see if the float is partialy sunk or gets hung up.....and if the fuel bowl is clean. If you have junk in the old fuel tank, and it's getting by the filter, it can cause some issues like this.

Is there a bare wire floating around somewhere around the ignition circuit that could be making an intermittant ground?
Having to feather it through a left turn is kinda odd.
Other than that, float levels maybe.

Kinda strange huh?

The only other thing i could think of would be a wire in the ignition system moving and grounding out, but the fact that you can neutral it and keep it running still leads back to the carb. Just a wild guess, how's your fuel filter?

You may have a heavy float that's saturated with fuel. They can look good but weigh too much. I would recommend buying a new one to see if it makes a difference.

carb float / dirty needle and seat

Gotta think floats. :tard:

clean and check float level

I would have to guess the carb float or needle and seat is the culprit. maybe time for a rebuild.

I think I would still pop the carb. apart and check to see if the float is partialy sunk or gets hung up..

float levels maybe.

it doesnt take much crap to stick a float

If the plastic float was not changed in the rebuilt, do that, and adjust the float level.

You may have a heavy float that's saturated with fuel. They can look good but weigh too much. I would recommend buying a new one to see if it makes a difference.

i would say the verdict is in LOL sorry i couldnt resist hehe

Sorry, I can write some, but not read at all. :) The thing about the plastic floats, they are tricky when then fail. After being dried out, they seem work great for a day or two, after that....

I had a mercury montego that did that. The fuel filter was plugged up allowing enough gas to keep car running until I made a turn

I had a 89 Dodge Van that did the same thing. ON sharp left turns it would die and would start right back up as soon as I finished turning even when I was still rolling. Mechanic hooked up gagues and checked for fuel and spark when driving. He found spark would cut out and kill the engine for a few seconds and then be fine when you started going straight again. He replaced the computer and worked ok for a few days, then started doing it again. He couldn't figure it out. Tried another mechanic and they were no help either. I lived with it for a while until it got so bad it did it on every left turn. Then one day it wouldn't start, I checked and no spark from the coil. When I removed the coil it felt very light compared to the other ciols I had laying around. I cut the coil open and there was almost no oil in it. The coil was mounted sideways on the engine and the oil leaked out over time. When I made a left turn the oil would move to one end of the coil and stop working until I started going straight again. I put a new coil in mounted straight up and down and never had that problem again. If you have a spare coil around give it a try, easier than a carb rebuild. What could it hurt.

Read my post above, the carb was rebuild 2 months ago and ran perfect till very recently :)

Thanks anyway.

Syed

Back when I owned a '74 Valiant 225, I had the same symptoms. I noticed the Plymouth dealer parts department had a rack of replacement carb floats and the parts guy told me the reason was they frequently failed. Replaced my floats, problem solved. FWIW, mine were the foam floats, not brass.

As close as the ignition is to the passenger side inner fender, I would guess something grounding out.

Update : the engine cutting out problem has mysteriously cured itself... Took the car out today and engine ran fine no matter how hard i turned.... !!

-
Back