engine fitment

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
this is a 65 barracuda factory 273 car, i am up grading to a 360 with a 727. the pictures show mock up only. right motor mount is still the 65 273 mount. the left motor mount is the interlocking tab style mount from a 78 dodge truck. motor sits level with car left to right. the right exhaust manifold is from a 340. the gap between the right manifold and fender skirts is tight. before i blasted the paint from the engine bay, the paint in that area was fine no charring. what can i do about this gap? any thoughts.

20230409_100246.jpg

20230409_100251.jpg

this is a 65 barracuda factory 273 car, i am up grading to a 360 with a 727. the pictures show mock up only. right motor mount is still the 65 273 mount. the left motor mount is the interlocking tab style mount from a 78 dodge truck. motor sits level with car left to right. the right exhaust manifold is from a 340. the gap between the right manifold and fender skirts is tight. before i blasted the paint from the engine bay, the paint in that area was fine no charring. what can i do about this gap? any thoughts.

View attachment 1716078956

View attachment 1716078957
That's actually a pretty good gap- about what I have with a Magnum manifold. I've seen them a lot closer with "ribbed" manifolds, to the point where people have hammered the fenderwell for clearance. You've got room for engine movement, so I think you're good.
You'll never be able to easily remove the exhaust manifold if you use studs in the two end holes- you'll need to run standard bolts; so remember to seal them well since they are wet holes.

Looks like its setting good to me.

you can get your fingers in there to about the big knuckle just making sure, going to paint engine compartment soon I don't want it burning off, its a gift to my brother

The 340 manifolds I ran for years in my 65 Barracuda sat closer to the passenger inner fender than yours does. No paint ever burned off.

1681879003438.png

Yeah that's about as good as it gets with our early Mopars.

Technically, that is a 5.9 Magnum instead of a 360. No need to use studs in the 2 end holes for the exhaust, so that will make R&R of the exhaust manifold easier if needed. Unless the manifold runs glowing red, it won't hurt the paint.

-
Back