engine flush

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Is it safe to run one of these engine flushes? I know what the add says, but have any of you done so?
Just wondering

I suppose it depends why you want to run it. IMO, the engines you think ned it the most should definately NOT get it. The Solder Seal cans are basically kerosene. You dump it in and it tries to clean the gunk out. The probelm is, it tends to loosen everything up, which sends a lot of crap like broken bits of valve seals stuck in teh goop of the valley or head, and a lot of "crumbles" of coaked up oil down to the pan, where inevitably it gets sucked into and around the oil pickup. If the engine is mechanically sound, you don't need it. If the engine has isues with buildup of coaked oil and crap, you want that stuff to remain glued to where it is. Least that's my opinion...

Moper is correct. !!

Would you want to send all this crap thru your oil pump and all your bearings?

BMW20oil20sludge1.jpg

Those cans of engine flush are more for cleaning out the "chocolate pudding" you get after a blown head gasket, not for cleaning out built up carbon and sludge.

I just put a boneyard engine in my Chevrolet Work Van, I did not know the history of this engine as the oil was drained out. Pulled the engine and changed out all components on intake, oil cooler, pulleys, and installed it into my van. set timing hooked up everything, turned the key... engine runs great. This was 2 weeks ago. All I have done since then is change the oil 3 times. Did not open up the block in any way. Truck runs super now. I wouldn't waste the time or money on engine flush. Just change that oil.

Thats not crap, thats Cosmoline! I bet those parts will look new if you cleaned them...just kidding. That is some sludge! Mopars 2.5 V6 was famous for that stuff. I think Auto-RX works well as it liquifies the gunk instead of dislodging it, and then a few synthetic oil changes after that would get that motor whistle clean.

I've used 20% Dexron in the engine with good success. It dissolves the crud and doesn't attack the bearings/seals. Just make sure youchange the filter often!

-
Back