Engine in test stand

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Would it be safe to run a engine in a teststand with only the converter attached to the crankshaft?
Thanks guys

Yes, just make sure it's tight! :lol:
Balancer up front right? That would be a good idea....

I'd be using a fly wheel.
The "flex" plate does just that, remember.
How about the starter, figure where you're gonna bolt that up to?

Thanks guys.
MO, he he, you got a point there.
Have some creative work in front of me.
A flywheel and a bellhousing would be the easy way, but I never were much for the easy way.
I'll see if I can solve this.

I built my test stand to use a transmission.

engine stand 11-3-16 001.JPG

I wouldn't do it... Flex plate can flex, oil may go everywhere causing it to be of balance... Stick a transmission behind it - just make sure it's in nuetral and you run a hose or steel line between the two cooler fittings.

I'm wondering, if you leave the transmission off with the torque converter installed, how do you plan to start the engine? With a pull rope? A speed wrench? Are you just going to jerk on the ring gear with gloved hands? Maybe push start it sideways? I know, 1" drive impact wrench on the damper bolt!

I wouldn't do it... Flex plate can flex, oil may go everywhere causing it to be of balance... Stick a transmission behind it - just make sure it's in nuetral and you run a hose or steel line between the two cooler fittings.
Yep, and aren't there things inside the torque converter that rattle around just a bit when the transmission isn't hooked to it? Taco about out-of-balance and shaking around.

FWIW, I built my engine test stand to be used with a flywheel and a manual trans bell housing. No trans hooked up.

Yes, that is what worries me most that the TC will start to flex and come off from the crank.
I'll modify the teststand so that I can mount the tranny to the engine.

Is there an echo or what.
Pretty soon we'll all have each other on ignore.
I'd be using a fly wheel.
The "flex" plate does just that, remember.
How about the starter, figure where you're gonna bolt that up to?

I'm wondering, if you leave the transmission off with the torque converter installed, how do you plan to start the engine? With a pull rope? A speed wrench? Are you just going to jerk on the ring gear with gloved hands? Maybe push start it sideways? I know, 1" drive impact wrench on the damper bolt!

FWIW, I built my engine test stand to be used with a flywheel and a manual trans bell housing. No trans hooked up.

Yup...that works.

Works quite well actually.

Flex plate the engine was balanced with sandwiched between the crank and neutral balance flywheel. Man trans bell spaced the thickness of the flex plate.

100_6199.JPG

100_6209.JPG

Thanks, exactly what I was thinking.
I have my reciprocating assembly balanced with it on there.

I figured it was for a simple break in / try out run for oil leak inspection.

Is there an echo or what.
Pretty soon we'll all have each other on ignore.
I wouldn't do that to ya. I read your response. I don't want you to feel ignored so's I gave you a 'like', okay? I just though I could be funnier, or was it show less mercy? You did good MOPAROFFICIAL, you did good.

Thanks, exactly what I was thinking.
I have my reciprocating assembly balanced with it on there.

I figured it was for a simple break in / try out run for oil leak inspection.

Prob ran it for 6+ hours total time on the stand. Cam break in, without and with inner springs installed. that was a couple hours of the run time.
The rest was just for fun and most of the neighborhood enjoyed it :mob::poke::steering::lol:

-
Back