• Engine

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Motor

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Depends on who I'm talking to

Votes: 30 21.0%

• Total voters
-
I didn't see that there were 2 more pages that I didn't read when I first posted this, so sorry for the repetition.

I always call the powerplants at work, which are turbofans, motors, because people give me this motors are electric bull. Look in any dictionary, and motor is defined as an internal combustion engine, along with being electric.

Dictionary.com:
mo⋅tor [moh-ter]
–noun
1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

MerriamWebster.com:
Pronunciation:
\ˈmō-tər\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Latin, from movēre to move
Date:

1: one that imparts motion ; specifically : prime mover2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a: a small compact engine b: internal combustion engine ; especially : a gasoline engine c: a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

What about motorboat, outboard motor, Detroit Motor City, General Motors, American Motors Corporation, motorcycle, Department of Motor Vehicles, and finally, what is MoPar short for?
mopar_sign.jpg

Technically, by scientific definition, a motor has ONE moving part, (ie, and electric motor) and an engine has multiple moving parts, as in an internal combustion engine.
ok i have to throw in a monkey wrench

motor-has one moving componet (ie electric)

engine -multiple moving parts(ie internal combustion engine)

ok so where does that leave the rotory it has 1 moving part and is internal combustion:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

sorry had to

ok i have to throw in a monkey wrench

motor-has one moving componet (ie electric)

engine -multiple moving parts(ie internal combustion engine)

ok so where does that leave the rotory it has 1 moving part and is internal combustion:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

sorry had to

Didn't say a motor HAS to be electric, but most motors are (in fact, can't think of one that's not, but that doesn't mean there isn't). Also, might want to double check about a rotary having only one moving part, I think there's more than just one (ie, carburetor has moving parts to feed it.)

Technically, by scientific definition, a motor has ONE moving part, (ie, and electric motor) and an engine has multiple moving parts, as in an internal combustion engine.

I've always used the word motor for electric power too, idk, just feels weird calling an engine a motor, lmao

Does anyone know what MOPAR stands for??????????
It is a acroynm used by Chrysler for their MOtor PARrts department.
Motor Parts= MOPAR....
So I will not argue with Chrysler.....Jim

MOPAR = MOVE OVER PLYMOUTH APPROACHING RAPIDLY:-D:-D

MOPAR = MOVE OVER PLYMOUTH APPROACHING RAPIDLY:-D:-D

might put that on the back of my shop jacket :D

I say motor, but that's because i'm in the midwest... most of you sophisticated coastal people call it an engine, right?

i used to say engine before i started talking to old school drag racers and... strangely enough... "engine" builders.

Mopar, mostly old parts and rust. I'm sad to say that describes one of my Valiants.

Ah, my shop teacher said the same thing. Motor is electric, Engine is gas powered. I remember it was a big discussion in class! I've wondered ever since.

Now how do you look it up on E-bay, that's a bigger question!

I'm going to walk into the local NAPA tonight and ask for windshield wiper engine. :-D
I can't help but mentally picture a sizable portion of the dash being neatly cut out of the Ramcharger with an 8HP horizontal shaft 4-stroke stuffed in and tied to modified linkage (spherical rod ends and 3/4" bar stock). That would be the ultimate in overkill.

Personally, I use the two interchangeably unless someone is bothered by the technically incorrect usage of the term "motor" and I'm in a mood to torment them. Then, after much prodding, I'll switch to some verbose term like "reciprocal internal combustion powerplant" to deny them the joy of hearing "engine". Sometimes, I kick it old school and use the term "mill".

nice gauges ramcharger heres a pic of mine for my 72 truck, i say engine, gotta love them mopar blinkers

Thanks Rob, I like your idea too. Were the mopar blinkers cut out with a water jet?

I can't help but mentally picture a sizable portion of the dash being neatly cut out of the Ramcharger with an 8HP horizontal shaft 4-stroke stuffed in and tied to modified linkage (spherical rod ends and 3/4" bar stock). That would be the ultimate in overkill.

Pull start wipers. :toothy10:

i found some mopar emblems on a summit book page cut em out taped them to my dash and dremeled them out and glued some see thru blue plastic behind them so they blink blue when i had my 77 ramcharger i made diamond plate to actually just cut around stock gauges but when i had the top down be careful of the sun at certain time of day it will blind you real good! lol

i found some mopar emblems on a summit book page cut em out taped them to my dash and dremeled them out and glued some see thru blue plastic behind them so they blink blue when i had my 77 ramcharger i made diamond plate to actually just cut around stock gauges but when i had the top down be careful of the sun at certain time of day it will blind you real good! lol

Yeah, I've experinced that already...8) I may have Leanna powdercoat my dash satin black. :cheers:

there are "technical definitions" of each word but its the context of how you say it that counts. Whether you say "motor" or "engine", people are still going to know what you are talking about in this profession.

while i do beleive that engine is the proper term motor is used enough to almost make the two words interchangable

i have always thought that a motor makes power and a engine makes power by internal combustion so my 360 would be both and me as a person am just a motor. lol thats not right according to the dictionary lol but thats how i have always said it. i use both on pretty much everything tho lol

-
Back