Engine paint

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion on what is a good paint to paint the engine block? I’m getting to paint the engine and not sure what I should get. It’s a 71’ 340; I believe it should be orange. Thanks

Pull up Mopar Collectors Guide on the internet !!! There's an article all about the 4 different color Oranges that are on Mopars !! 3Different ones for the motors,and one for the air breathers (Filter covers)

- Street Hemi Orange ( non-metallic EV2 )
- Race Hemi Orange ( non-metallic EK2 )
- "Air Cleaner" Orange
- Chrysler Engine Orange

If you're not too concerned with perfection (e.g. , the *correct* orange) , then just blast away with rattle cans of "Chrysler Engine Orange" .

POR15 makes an engine enamel that's supposed to be good, I'm spraying my nailhead with that this weekend hopefully. You can also brush it on. They also make POR20 high temp exhaust manifold paint, I'm using that as well. Neither of the POR products require primer but all 2K automotive paints do. I assume rattle can stuff does as well but I don't know, never use the stuff.

Regardless of what you use, getting the block Howard Hughes clean is the key. Paint doesn't stick to dirt or grease for long.

X2 on the scrubbing like you have a problem. I mailed it in on one part of my intake manifold and the paint just slid off.

I used POR-15 (torquoise for 1968 440) and loved it. Paint brush left no brush strokes at all!

I like the Rustoleum 500 F engine spray paints since you can spray at any angle. I used their primer first. I painted my block in the car when the timing cover, oil pan, and intake were off. I cleaned first with gasoline, alcohol, and steel brushes. Hasn't been long enough to tell how it will hold up. I used red on my 65 273, which was close to the existing paint (factory?). I used clear on aluminum parts to limit corrosion (timing cover, water pump, intake, valve covers). I even painted the inside of my new timing cover since my old one was pitted.

I personally think orange looks a bit cartoonish, but since mother Mopar used that in the 70's, if you want to be correct do it. To be "correct", you also bolt on everything first (exc. distributor & pulleys) and paint it all. The factory did that to be fast. It seems a little like people trying to reproduce the trunk splatter and torsion bar drips like the factory. Might win points at a show, but otherwise kind of silly.

You might also look at Rust Destroyer as a primer. It claims 800 F, converts rust, and etches bare metal. Comes in quarts (~$22) and spray cans (~$12). I used it on other parts in the engine. Might have used on the block too, I forget. I used to get at Ace, but had to go to a specialty paint shop for quarts last time. I recall Ace still has the spray cans. Home Depot used to, but couldn't find a few months ago.

i used a high temp dupli-color engine primer in white and 2 cans of orange. it has stuck like glue. a super clean block is the key. i have spilled coolant ,oil and gas on it and the paint refuses to come off. if you get it on too thick the paint will want to chip off if you hit it with ratchets or what-not

Should I use any kind of primer before painting the block?

The factory didnt use primer,so I dont either. As mentioned prep is key. I spray the block with brake cleaner,let dry,before I paint.

I use Mopar Performance Street Hemi orange paint.
That is the correct color for a 71 340.
IMO it is the closest color match to the original. Some will tell you it
is not that great of paint,I call it operator air. I have never had any issues with this paint, and it is readily available.

Attachments

• car pics 006.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Car pics 004.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 245
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCooMW8oMJk"]1968 Plymouth GTX - YouTube[/ame]

Video of engine compartment after engine was painted with POR-15 10 years earlier.:blob:

i like the urathane high solids paint. need to spray it from a gun but the results are great and its very very durable.

before the paint you want it clean,clean clean. we also used a epoxy primer under it.

the intake and valve covers in this pic is MP street hemi orange.. its no where neat the correct color. i hear the resto street hemi orange is a lot closer though..

5-11-05002.jpg

5-8-05001.jpg

in primer...

5-11-05011.jpg

painted..

5-11-05035.jpg

5-17-05001.jpg

5-17-05002.jpg

info off the paint can..

engingepaintcode.jpg

I LOVE V.O.C.'s !

You guys in the other 49 states have the better carb and brake cleaners ; we out here in good ole Ca have the worthless no VOC's cleaners . Not worth a 5h1t .

-
Back