Engine paint

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint my new 340 a low gloss (satin) black.
1. What primer do I use, some parts are aluminum and some are cast iron. Which primer will work for both?
2. Who makes the best rattle can engine enamel? VHT, Duplicolor or other? I had a really bad experience with Duplicolor orange engine paint.
I no longer believe the manufactures, they will tell you anything to get your money.
Someone with real world product knowledge please reply, I aint doing this twice.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I used NAPA self etching primer and Duplicolor. 2 years here too.

breather.jpg

WP_20160319_16_40_17_Pro.jpg

1. What primer do I use, some parts are aluminum and some are cast iron. Which primer will work for both?
2. Who makes the best rattle can engine enamel? VHT, Duplicolor or other? I had a really bad experience with Duplicolor orange engine paint.
I no longer believe the manufactures, they will tell you anything to get your money.
Someone with real world product knowledge please reply, I aint doing this twice.
Thanks in advance

My buddy Eddie used Mopar engine paint and I was impressed at how thick it was... It looks better than the plasti-kote that I've been using for years and I am going to use that on my next engines...

Mopar Performance

I used primer on the steel parts - valve covers, oil pan, timing cover. I used Duplicolor on everything once assembled, one coat, followed by a coat of Mopar paint. This was several years ago. the Mopar paint at the time had a reputation for being very thin.

I used NAPA self etching primer and Duplicolor. 2 years here too.

View attachment 1715124033

View attachment 1715124034
i, too, use gray-green self etching primer. I've used DupliColor, Mopar, and PlastiCote. Never noticed much difference, except that Mopar Hemi Orange had very little pigment and covered poorly. For the smaller parts, everything but the block, I bake in the oven, when the wife isn't looking.

I went right to Mopar for the engine paint and I think it is the best stuff period.

The best paint jobs I've ever seen.......and done on engines have been with regular car paint and painted just like a car. Primer, sealer, hardner, reducer and all. It works good.

Dad n I used Eastwoods paint on the small block. We werent setup to spray, so it was brushed on. VERY thick! we did not use reducer as we brushed on, BUT we used the activator. Very happy with the paint and will use it again with my current build. I will probably try spraying it as any engines Ive seen sprayed on here look amazing.
Link
Chevrolet Blue Engine Paint - Ceramic High Heat Coating
**It says Chevy blue, LOL, but its the correct link for Chrysler red**

Last edited:
Dad n I used Eastwoods paint on the small block. We werent setup to spray, so it was brushed on. VERY thick! we did not use reducer as we brushed on, BUT we used the activator. Very happy with the paint and will use it again with my current build. I will probably try spraying it as any engines Ive seen sprayed on here look amazing.
Link
Chevrolet Blue Engine Paint - Ceramic High Heat Coating
**It says Chevy blue, LOL, but its the correct link for Chrysler red**

You can get an air sprayer from harbor freight or many other places for relatively little money. I sprayed mine on. Now, any time I do an engine I use Eastwood and spray it on. Much nicer.

I actually have a Porter Cable gun I bought at an auction cheap that I plan on using. Gotta get a decent dessicant dryer for the compressor. A decent one up here is like $100, stupid prices.
When we were brushing on the Eastwood, I regretted not getting the reducer, that stuff is thick.
You can get an air sprayer from harbor freight or many other places for relatively little money. I sprayed mine on. Now, any time I do an engine I use Eastwood and spray it on. Much nicer.

Epoxy or self etch primer and a good quality urethane automotive paint.

Don't feel restricted to paint on the aluminum parts. I know you're disappointed with manufacturers, but maybe a FABO Vendor can help change the way you feel.

008.JPG

003.JPG
008.JPG
024.JPG
Peter Kovacs MPs After 3.jpg

Thanks in advance
I painted my engine several years ago with Eastwood High Temp Ceramic Engine paint. It's on sale right now at Eastwood. It uses a hardener, and has really stood up well. The engine must be CLEAN before starting. You can spray it without primer if you give it a light mist coat first (you are not going for 100% coverage here), then give it about 15-20 minutes to dry and then spray two medium wet coats with about 15 minutes between coats. You can paint all the different metals mentioned. Although you can spray without primer, using primer will help longevity. I used an epoxy primer from Eastwood. Spray 2 good coats, follow directions on drying time, and then scuff with a Scotch Brite pad before the color coat. Use a pre paint cleaning solvent and a tack rag before painting. The products I've mentioned aren't rattle can, so you'll need a compressor and a spray gun. If you don't have a spray gun, buy a $10 Harbor Freight one. If you don't have a compressor, borrow one, or find a buddy with one, and paint it at his house. I was VERY impressed with their engine paint. Feel free to PM me for more detailed instructions. I've painted a lot of cars and a lot of engines.

Don't feel restricted to paint on the aluminum parts. I know you're disappointed with manufacturers, but maybe a FABO Vendor can help change the way you feel.

View attachment 1715125079

View attachment 1715125075 View attachment 1715125076 View attachment 1715125077 View attachment 1715125078

If you could do that valve cover in black and the paint the fins F1Y Top Banana Yellow like you did with the orange and black covers I'd jump all over that.

How much will it cost and how long will it take. The VC's are already black.

Let me know. Thank you.

If you could do that valve cover in black and the paint the fins F1Y Top Banana Yellow like you did with the orange and black covers I'd jump all over that.

How much will it cost and how long will it take. The VC's are already black.

Let me know. Thank you.

I'll send you a Private Message rather than clog up 512's thread.

Another thumbs-up for the Eastwood stuff. It has looked and held up much better than rattle can (at least the Duplicolor Engine Enamel). If I recall I didn't use a primer either.

DSCN0593.JPG

last couple builds, I used the Duplicolor Ceramic stuff. Get everything CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Primer, Paint and then the clearcoat. It's worked well for me. I think temp and humidity are important.

I used Eastwood on my last build also, shot it with a gun. It also matches their powder coat, that’s what’s on the intake and water pump.
5503F13D-E2EB-44D5-96B5-0C6D8C26C4A3.jpeg
F2DCE4FC-8D30-4206-B4EB-235962FAC23B.jpeg

594491B2-C3EF-479C-9C21-8D4D6D58386D.jpeg

-
Back