Engine Pro's Help please

-
No harm done here...........moper. I learn as I go, I appreciate everyones input for sure.

Fishy68, yes that is the article. I seen it in Wal mart. I never seen that magazine before so I dont know the name.

Thanks guys.

The closed chamber Edelbrock heads are supposed to be 63 cc but actually measure out to 64-65 cc. So it does not surprise me the Eddie Magnum heads have a bigger chamber then they are suppose to.

I read on another site a person had some EQ heads Stage 3 ported by Shady Dell and they flowed 260 cfm. My ported Edelbrocks from Shady Dell flow 280 cfm. I would think ported EQ heads could get you up to 500 hp on a 4" stroke engine. For someone on a budget I think the EQ heads are a good option.

As far as Hughes goes I don't trust them. They know a lot about mopars and sell some good stuff but I would not believe everything they tell you.

The closed chamber Edelbrock heads are supposed to be 63 cc but actually measure out to 64-65 cc. So it does not surprise me the Eddie Magnum heads have a bigger chamber then they are suppose to.

I read on another site a person had some EQ heads Stage 3 ported by Shady Dell and they flowed 260 cfm. My ported Edelbrocks from Shady Dell flow 280 cfm. I would think ported EQ heads could get you up to 500 hp on a 4" stroke engine. For someone on a budget I think the EQ heads are a good option.

As far as Hughes goes I don't trust them. They know a lot about mopars and sell some good stuff but I would not believe everything they tell you.

Wow Shady Dell ported EQ heads only flowed 260. In the article in mopar Action Ray Barton flowed stock EQ's with 1.92 valves and they flowed 240 and then they installed 2.02 valves and only removed the lip under the valve seat from machining and they flowed 258. I know not all benches flow the same and weather affects things too but that's a drastic difference. I wonder why the huge difference? I've heard good about both Barton and Shady Dell.

Fishy, I read the article in Mopar Action. And I did read over on Moparts a guy got EQ heads from Shady Dell with Stage 3 porting and they flowed 260. I was kind of surprised too.

Fishy, I read the article in Mopar Action. And I did read over on Moparts a guy got EQ heads from Shady Dell with Stage 3 porting and they flowed 260. I was kind of surprised too.

I gotta say I was surprised to see what Barton came up with on the EQ heads but all the others were in line with what I've seen published about them. I'm getting ready to take my EQ's to my buddy and see how much they really do flow. Hopefully I didn't get sucked into the hype Hughes had published about them. I'm just building a mild stroker so they don't need to flow much more than what their rated at. I'm hoping a minor clean up will do the trick.

I gotta say a person needs to do his/her homework real good before buying. Initially I thought I'd save $300 with the EQ's over the Eddy's but I figured wrong. Due to that I wish I'd have bought the Eddy's.

That's a good read. One thing I didn't see was what valve size they were. They come with 1.92 from the factory. If they did flow 269 with a 1.92 valve that was real good. If they were opened up to 2.02 valves then it's just average. But again as Ryan said flow numbers aren't everything. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have mine flowed and see what we get and I'll start a new thread on them since I kinda hi-jacked the OP's thread here. Sorry about that Mad Dart.

No problem fishy68.

I know that Don at FBO runs those eq heads with huge success on a 375 cu small block. He runs the rockers on a custom stand with longer valves and Racer Brown Rockers. Does anyone have his set up?? He says it makes 600hp. So I would think for an Iron Head they are pretty darn sweet............I guess it all depends on what you like for your own poison!!!!!!! Either one of them in the right hands will have deadly results for sure!!

Here is a link to his set up........

http://www.4secondsflat.com/FBO_EQ Cylinder heads.htm

Now that's an interesting twist on rocker arms. Everybody else is using Chevy style rockers and studs. Including me, but I got a deal on a brand new set of comp Pro magnums for $150. Hard to pass up at that price.

Yeah and it is not on the cheap either.........

He says that you get PERFECT valve train geometry that way??

Yeah and it is not on the cheap either.........

He says that you get PERFECT valve train geometry that way??

Don't surprise me. A good rocker setup isn't cheap. If they're designed right they should have perfect geometry. I was playing with mine a couple weeks back and with the studs and Comp rockers they were real close when adjusted properly.

It's a phenominal amount of money for what you get, and I seriously doubt they are capable of 600hp on a street engine, or many race engines. I'd like to see someone like Modern Cylinder Head or Porter flow those heads. I'm not positive how they do it, but the shop I use can build EQs using shelf part number Chevy valves (longer) and they use a Chevy rocker design for mush less that is "perfect" in terms of geometry and runs up to 7K rpm on the modified tour cars for about $5 more than FBOs "Stock type" setup, and that's including stainless performance valves and matching retainers and locks that FBO wants more cash for. I was quoted $1K to do it. I've seen them on the dyno making 460+hp out of 360s with a NASCAR spec 2bbl Holley and custom hydraulic cam. That dyno test was the whole reason I started looking at EQ heads in the first place, and they were doing them 2 years ago.

600 HP with EQ heads? I would think they would have to flow 300 + cfm to get that much power. Not likely you will reach those power levels with those heads.

I've been reading and listening and flip-flopping back and forth on the this head thing myself. Low-dollar EQ's vs. Edelbrocks or step up to porting whatever head you go with, or just eliminate this pushrod-pinch problem and go with W-2's. I know ya need the W-2 specific intake, valvetrain, and headers. But when yer done, you got the Whole Enchilada! And then ya can start porting yer W-2's...bigger valves.....coat the whole thing with super-rare Unobtanium from space asteroids.......How much time and money do you Really have may be the true answer! JMHO

-
Back