Engine question

-
Well I am saying my budget is 4000 to 5000 dollars for a engine. I am thinking about just building it myself, you guys are convincing me. I am going to keep my torque automatic transmission, the rear end is a 7 1/4 so ima have to upgrade that as well.

If you are good with hands and tools and have some sense, and are willing to read and listen closely, and not go too radical, then you have a decent likelihood of success on your own. My first performance engine was one I built and I had not done a complete motor before; I read and read and read.... and read some more. And asked questions at the local shops. But the dilemma is understood. The advice is because the crate engine route is a bit of a crapshoot; you may very well end up with a decent piece, or not.

What auto work have you done before, if I may ask? And what are your long term goals and plans for your car?

I can replace parts pretty easy, I've done most the work on my duster, I even took auto in high school, but the thing I know I would have trouble with is all the ratios and all that stuff I would have to do

I can replace parts pretty easy, I've done most the work on my duster, I even took auto in high school, but the thing I know I would have trouble with is all the ratios and all that stuff I would have to do
There are plenty here who can help you with any math. You can do something pretty nice with that budget.....my son and I spent about that much for a 340 at near 400 HP with new Edelbrock Performer heads, new SCAT rods and KB pistons, new intake, hydraulic flat tappet cam and so forth; pretty much a complete new parts build. And a 360 would save a few bucks over the 340. You might PM Dartvader; I think he did his own engine for the first time and he is easy to write to. (And maybe Straightlinespeed and maybe BadSport too).

Be ready to invest some time into it, and invest some time to learn. I would not advise anyone impatient and inattentive to do this. And be ready to get a variety of advice, and don't get stars in your eyes and think some word is magic; displacement is displacement! Stick with a basic build plan IMO and keep the process as simple as you can for good results and do as much bolt-together as you can. IMO if you get into much fancy machine work and the fancier you get, the more frustrating it can become. Finding a good machine shop is a big step in the right direction.

What do want this car/engine to do? Do you have any engine now? And keep thinking over your options.... many here build their own so may not see things as you will as a 1st time engine builder.

I just want a engine with more horsepower but I am not going to be drag racing or nothing like that. Just to cruise around. Yeah I will have time to invest!

I just want a engine with more horsepower but I am not going to be drag racing or nothing like that. Just to cruise around. Yeah I will have time to invest!

Contact MRL, you'll be more than happy. If you provide your one block, get a late 80s/early 90s LA 360 Roller Block.

Find a engine builder...good reputation....build a 360 stroker...u will be happy,very very happy. Good luck

Contact MRL, you'll be more than happy. If you provide your one block, get a late 80s/early 90s LA 360 Roller Block.

I don't know man, I had Mike build me a 408 and I had all sorts of things break
3 days after I installed it the rear end blew up
a month later my high/reverse drum in my transmission went out

so if you decide to have Mike build you one, be ready to spend some money on the rest of the driveline so it can handle the power :D

I don't know man, I had Mike build me a 408 and I had all sorts of things break
3 days after I installed it the rear end blew up
a month later my high/reverse drum in my transmission went out

so if you decide to have Mike build you one, be ready to spend some money on the rest of the driveline so it can handle the power :D

Well who was the buttmonkey that ran a 7 1/4 behind an MRL stroker again? ummm......YOU?

LMAO

Well who was the buttmonkey that ran a 7 1/4 behind an MRL stroker again? ummm......YOU?

LMAO

hey, I knew it wouldn't hold up long
I even had the 8 3/4 when I dropped the 408 in

I just thought I would have time to slap a fresh coat of paint on before the 7 1/4 blew...guess I was wrong

Your Car will lay rubber at 50 MPH..and Drag radials will wrinkle...me thats fun

The term 'value' in the phrase "Value Power Base Crate Engines" likely means it has shortcuts on parts quality.... just be prepared for problems as they occur all too often with such purchases.
That's a bold statement that actually assumes a good bit.

I've seen a Chevy LT1 factory short block missing half a main bearing, right from Chevrolet...
Seen it with a Ford and a MoPar big block here as well from other companies.
I knew a a kid who built his first car engine at age 15. It was a 283 for his oil-burning 57 Belaire. The only special tool he bought was a torque wrench. It ran great for at least one year, til he sold it and used the money to buy a 70 Swinger340. He was an over-eager, try-anything, snot-nosed, law breaking, godless, young punk. If that guy could have success, with no other help than the data sheet, how much more success will you have? Well I'll tell you; Tons and tons, I expect.
Yeah that punk was me......and the year was 1968.

Oh! I thought you were talking about me. Yea, that would fit like a glove.
Bought a "How to rebuild" book and a torque wrench. And away I went. It's been 30 plus years since. The only work I don't do is the machining work and balancing the assembly.

To the thread starter, ether have a pro do the work or do it yourself.
Have the machine shop bore and home the block and balance the rotating assembly and do the valve job for you. The rest you do!

If it were me, a magnum 360 from your local junk yard. A good rering and bearing kit, a carbed intake, timing cover, car oil pan, and a distributor. Would be a good way to get your feet wet.

-
Back