Engine Question

-
Theoretical. It was really directed for Johnny Mac @ blueprint. For example, If I wanted to buy their 465 hp rated engine but the one they built comes in at 420, what, if anything happens?

I actually just received my 408 from them yesterday.

532ft/lbs of torque (+38 over advertised)

466hp (+1 over advertised)

I'll take that any day.

I actually just received my 408 from them yesterday.

532ft/lbs of torque (+38 over advertised)

466hp (+1 over advertised)

I'll take that any day.
So you bought a crate engine and took it straight to the dyno? That a boy!!

Last edited:
A dyno is nothing more than an elaborate bathroom scale, or something like this:

View attachment 1716051249

If you've worked around gauges or insturments of any kind, you know that they can be off, or way off. Usually a dyno that reads high is called a "happy" dyno, etc. So if the engine reads at spec on one dyno, and lower on another, which one to believe?

However, a leakdown and compression test is way quicker than hauling it to a different dyno. Don't get stuck racing dynos.

A time slip usually is more reliable than a dyno as wel.

A time slip usually is more reliable than a dyno as wel.
That’s not exactly true of the engines power rating but more of what everything else is doing in, on and about the car. If your chassis and drivetrain behind the engine are all sorted out, it’ll perform great. If not sorted out, is the engine to blame?

That’s not exactly true of the engines power rating but more of what everything else is doing in, on and about the car. If your chassis and drivetrain behind the engine are all sorted out, it’ll perform great. If not sorted out, is the engine to blame?
It's funny how few realize it's all about a balanced package. A 800 hp engine can run worst than a stock one with 2.xx gears and a bad converter match. But the "engine is a dog"

Eh, it kind of is true. You can tell a lot about the total package by the time slip. If someone is running a slow time and a high mph you know the suspension/tires weren’t doing their job. 60’ times tells you about the car.

It's funny how few realize it's all about a balanced package. A 800 hp engine can run worst than a stock one with 2.xx gears and a bad converter match. But the "engine is a dog"

Lol trust me I realized that when I was running 14 second ET’s at 95 mph.

“Kind of true” is not the same as
“A time slip usually is more reliable than a dyno as well.”
Not that I’m going to argue

By the same token, you can take a stone stock engine and spank some BUTT in a well prepped car.

Leah Pritchett’s Challenger rocks. Stock engine taken apart and given the treatment, but still is stock & whips ***!

By the same token, you can take a stone stock engine and spank some BUTT in a well prepped car.
Oh for sure. It wasn't stock, but at one point I had our iron headed magnum 408 with 375 hp in my dart. Had an "off the shelf" B&m yada yada stall converter. Couldn't even get it into the 13's. I knew the converter was junk. Slapped in an ATI tree master 8 inch, BOOM 12.20'S.

Oh for sure. It wasn't stock, but at one point I had our iron headed magnum 408 with 375 hp in my dart. Had an "off the shelf" B&m yada yada stall converter. Couldn't even get it into the 13's. I knew the converter was junk. Slapped in an ATI tree master 8 inch, BOOM 12.20'S.
That's a great testimonial for a good converter if ever there was. Yet, you cannot preach it to a lot of people.

-
Back