Engine & Tranny Installation-Dougs Headers, Poly Lock Mounts, Nothing Fits!

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
OK guys here goes...

I'm working with my 68 barracuda with the factory V-8 biscuit mount K-member, the same 318 that was in there with the same 904 tranny, and the same motor mounts only with new Poly Lock engine mounts from schumaker, replacing the worn out rubber mounts.

I have also have a polyurethane transmission mount that I'm using, again, to replace the worn out rubber one. I'm also using an aftermarket Flaming River 16:1 manual steering box, along with Dougs headers.

From what I've read on here is you hang the headers in the engine bay and tie them off or have a person on each side hold them in place as you lower the engine into place. Be advised, I had the transmission bolted onto the engine with the hood off the car.

Now, NOTHING lines up! The tranny needs to go to the rear of the car, the motor mounts need to go to the front of the car to line up and bolt in, the Dougs headers interfere with the Flaming River steering box, and I can't get the engine to properly sit where it goes.

Here are some pics:

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

Your engine mounts are on upside down.

thats what i was thinking...

also for the crossmember, it only goes on one way... if you look the bolt holes on one side are parallel with the ground and the other they are at an angle...

so make sure it is on right first...

then loosen the two bolts holding the mount to the trans, and bolt the rear crossmember to the mount... this will alow the setup to "center" itself while installing...

but you need to flip the mounts on the block... you can see the hole on the bracket, then the third hole on the ear of the block...

something just looks funny at the motor mounts to me.. can't figure out what though. i swear the one pic they are upside down..

they should look like this..

5-17-05001.jpg

5-17-05002.jpg

Brackets on wrong sides of engine?.

The biscuit mount holes need to be to the front side, moving the engine rearward. I bet the trans mount is about 1.5-2" forward of the crossmember.

I'll bet it's NOT the headers so don't blame them. LOL

Here's a pic of the drivers side bracket and correct orientation.

mounts004.jpg

Trans mount
mounts001.jpg

Joe's pic show a good representaion of how they should be installed.

In this picture the bracket looks correct orientation, the biscuit is on incorrect.

IMG_2259.jpg

The side going into the K frame should be higher than the stud into the bracket

This pic has the orientation of teh bracket incorrect, did you change them side to side? If so go back to the first pic with the biscuit changed.

IMG_2268.jpg

okay guys, yall were right, i had both of my mounts on the wrong side...yes, the tranny mount was about 1.5 inches off as well...

dont worry, i didnt blame the headers....YET....lol

now im working on the mini starter, i didnt realize i shoulda put it on then install the engine. now i have to snake it in there somehow. and i need room because the bottom bolt actually calls for a stud, not a bolt....working on that now....stand by

If you can jack the car up and turn the wheels it will give you room to clock it up in there.

It's not tough.

ok, got the starter in! now i need help with the tranny mount...which way does the lip of the tranny crossmember face? to the front or to the rear of the car?

okay, i got it in! thanks everyone!!!

boy, i tell u what, these headers sure are CLOSE to my steering box and 1" torsion bars....maybe even almost rubbing....

boy, i tell u what, these headers sure are CLOSE to my steering box and 1" torsion bars....maybe even almost rubbing....

only way to tell is when you start it up and the motor vibrates and you turn the car

You might need to shim or adjust the engine location slightly.

Down load the TTI header install instructions and make sure your engine is sitting in the correct location (I know he has Dougs but the engine still needs to be in right location). Mopar was way sloppy on the k-frames in these cars and a lot of people have to shim the motor mounts to get the engine in the correct location. Then the headers will clear. I had to enlarge the motor mount slot in my k-frame to slide the engine back some to clear the steering linkage. After messing with it for a week the headers fit with no denting required.

ok, thats one problem im facing...the next is i cannot get every bolt into the header...5 of the 6 bolts thread into the head, the 6th one is very tight and will not go. i just need a little bit of wiggle room then it will go....ive tried unbolting the header and installing each bolt differently in different orders, but it seems the bolt holes in the headers are off just by a hair...would it be possible for me to chamfer a couple holes in the flange? just very slightly enlarge the holes at a vey minor degree to get it to go?

why not, i would open each bolt hole up a bit. the header ports should already be larger than the head ports

now your going to wish you did that before the engine went in

What is 6th bolt? rear? That should go all the way into the water jacket, and require sealant, as the 1st; both sides. I can't see how the rear bolt can bottom.

no its not bottoming, its not going in at all.....i also have RHS heads....i dont think they have holes that go into water jackets...

-
Back