Engine & Tranny Installation-Dougs Headers, Poly Lock Mounts, Nothing Fits!

-
Maybe slot the holes in the mount brackets to move the mounts up on the brackets, lowering the engine.

You have had that thing in and out so many times, how about just using Velcro? (J/K, trying to add a smile to all of this) How different are the TTI headers? Are the headers a PITA to take in and out? It might be worth a shot, the Doug's could work on the Dart.

okay....i modified my tranny mount, to allow it slide towards the rear of the car, i slotted my engine mounts, and also slotted the mount on the K-frame, so the engine can move towards the rear of the car...none of this helped....at all...so, because these headers now had so many rashes, and scratch marks, i took the header out, put a solid piece of round stock where i needed the clearance, and slammed it with a BFH. put it back in, and.....no luck. LOL LOL LOL. needed a little more, but im not going to beat on these headers anymore. They're going back to summit for another pair.

Something I didnt mention before, the driver side header is fine, and between the collector and torsion bar, i can put 2 fingers in between them.

The passenger side, I cant even put a finger between the collector and torsion bar. This side header was obviously tweaked before I got it...must have been made on a friday evening, with a couple beers in him,not mounted right in the jig.

Wow , do you have patience ! I would have taken a sledge hammer to the headers and car by now ! Good luck with the new headers , that's the reason I went with tight tube hedmans , easy to drop in , so they make a bit less power , I could not deal with what you're going through .
It will be worth it once you're in the car driving , I hope !

lol....i have been pretty calm over all this...my patients is wearing thin though. my torsion bars are not bent. they are brand new 1" just suspension bars. they were straight when i put em in...lol has to be the picture...

rob, the collector isnt actually touching, its just very close to it..on the driver side, i can get 2 fingers between the torsion bar and the collector. the passenger side, not touching, but not one finger fits in between them. kinda weird...

i hooked a ratchet strap around the passenger side header tube (near the collector), under the car to the driver side torsion bar and cranked on it. trying to "tweak" the header a little bit, to get it away from the torsion bar, but as soon as i let it go, it springs right back to where it was...i also put a pry bar on top of the header collector and pryed up pulling the header down and away from the torsion bar...still nothing. lol springs right back to where it was....LOL.

Where is it hitting? Not close, actually hitting.

The trans mount being taller will aggravate the fit in the collector area. Mine are close, stock trans mount, barely get a pinky between bar and collector flange.

its actually hitting on the torsion bar...header tube, not collector. just like the pics show...i cant solve that one...ive tried different tranny mounts, but they are so close in size, (stock rubber mount vs. poly mount) it doesnt make a difference.

You know the motor will shake as its running so it needs least a 1/4 inch of clearance or you will hear a loud embarrassing knocking sound as you drive the car.

I really think the HP manifolds would solve much grief or the shorty headers. Will cost hp thou

I don't know if I would even call it a newbie mistake. Sometimes crap happens. ..... Old dog, rookie mistake. Feces occurs.

You got that right. I cracked a Commando 273 4bbl intake in half trying to wrench it down on a 318 block...that had a locating dowel on the front lifter valley rail while the intake didnt have a hole for it...Dohh!

Bolt your trans in place with stock mount, remove motor mounts, and hang engine in place with an engine hoist and move it around till the headers clear. Then try and find a motor mount/shim combo that will work in the given location.

Bingo. the trans mount seems to be the only constant you can get a good reference for the rest of the motor, thats how I made custom mounts for a motor, hung it llevel and bolted up the trans mount and started cutting a styrofoam block to the dimensions where it would wedge in where the original brackets would go. Worked pretty good, just make a metal box the shape of the styrofoam. Shims are where its at!

Took the Dougs headers out today...Installed my TTI headers...I Followed the installation instructions to the T. Put the car on jack stands, raised engine 2 inches, unbolt steering linkage and starter again, slipped them in from the bottom, bolted them up to the heads. Lowered the engine....And they fit. lol. I did have to use a 1/4" shim on both sides. They fit now. And they fit MUCH BETTER than the Dougs, with a bigger 1-3/4" pipe to boot...dunno why...They are built differently though...Now I can continue on to what I was supposed to do 2 weeks ago...

Took the Dougs headers out today...Installed my TTI headers...I Followed the installation instructions to the T. Put the car on jack stands, raised engine 2 inches, unbolt steering linkage and starter again, slipped them in from the bottom, bolted them up to the heads. Lowered the engine....And they fit. lol. I did have to use a 1/4" shim on both sides. They fit now. And they fit MUCH BETTER than the Dougs, with a bigger 1-3/4" pipe to boot...dunno why...They are built differently though...Now I can continue on to what I was supposed to do 2 weeks ago...

Sweet now fire that baby up

pics

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 141
That looks real Good. I guess you will have to buy another set for your Dart.

yea, maybe ill just use the smashed up dougs. lol doubt if summit will take em back. they need a return authorization from dougs...gotta call em tomorrow and wait n see..

yea, maybe ill just use the smashed up dougs. lol doubt if summit will take em back. they need a return authorization from dougs...gotta call em tomorrow and wait n see..

I hope you can return them.

-
Back