Engine & Tranny Installation-Dougs Headers, Poly Lock Mounts, Nothing Fits!

-
Are any of the other bolts tightened up all the way? i know I never have any luck starting bolts when one is cinched down.

true true, start each bolt just a wee bit and move on to the next bolt

Keep in mind that flanges that are perfect fit raw, get a little smaller when ceramic coated. Sometimes a little file work is all that's needed.

yes, each bolt was tightened just a wee little bit...i ended up just using a carbide burr and took off the ceramic coating inside each bolt hole. i still somewhat had to make 3 holes a teeny tiny amount bigger than the others...was being real careful so i dont permanently mess up the headers. i never like doing hack work. so i got them to fit...

now not a huge deal, but the passenger side header touches the torsion bar...i cant slide a piece of paper between them...

so im gonna do what 340sfastback says and download that TTI header installation and see if my engine is perfectly centered. i may indeed have to shim one of the motor mounts up...no dents here, but now they are plenty scratched up. lol, oh well, its a street car, its built to take abuse. lol

Fine steel wool will take most of the scratches out. I did say fine, right? lol

Guess I,m late to help any.Glad to see your getting the 68 done James.Some shims or washers might help with hedder clearances.Waiting for a vid of fireup!!:cheers:

Guess I,m late to help any.Glad to see your getting the 68 done James.Some shims or washers might help with hedder clearances.Waiting for a vid of fireup!!:cheers:

no scott, ur never late! lol

i ordered that shim kit from schumacher. soo ill give those a try. i still have to install the clutch fan and then position the radiator, mark where the mounting tabs go, then weld em on the radiator. figure out where the trans cooler is gonna go, run the lines for that, yad yada lotta little stuff...

okay yet another small problem i found by looking under the car. the headers hit the starter solenoid wires on my mini starter. are there different styles/brands of mini starters that have this wire in a different location?

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

Is the starter tightly mounted? I see a loose nut.

You are talking about the nut on the bell housing stud? Right? (where's my evil laugh?)
I've had some headers that were too comfy with the mini. I ended up using a starter from a late A body slant 6. (They seem to be shorter).

Is the starter tightly mounted? I see a loose nut.

yes rob, i loosened that nut after the fact. i figured it out and found an even SMALLER mini starter. its from a 1997 dodge dakota 5.2

here are comparison pictures of the one i had versus the new one.

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

As you can see I have way more clearance.

Stay tuned, I'm sure I will run into more problems...

Wow, thanks for that one. I didn't know there was a mini mini starter. Are they all clocked the same?

Wow, thanks for that one. I didn't know there was a mini mini starter. Are they all clocked the same?

yea, i was tripping out on that one...it really is a mini, mini starter! LOL, yes clocked the same...

and by the way, in order to get the other one out i had to unbolt and take out the center link....

All that trouble even from a very expensive and so posed to be a easy bolt on.No thanks cheep headers for me.sorry to have seen all the problimsssss.

All that trouble even from a very expensive and so posed to be a easy bolt on.No thanks cheep headers for me.sorry to have seen all the problimsssss.

hey snake, really isnt THAT bad. I just had a few hiccups...my dumbass had the motor mounts on backwards at first, that was a TOTAL newbie mistake...i was thinking since there were 4 mounting provisions cast on one side of the block and 3 cast on the other side, naturally, i thought the motor mount with 3 holes went on the side with the 3 casted provisions and the 4 bolt hole mount went on the 4 hole side of the block....its awkward that its totally opposite.....LOL

but yea, the regular mini starter not clearing was kinda BS, but easy fix, i found a mini mini starter. I had to give a 100 bucks for it though from NAPA. LOL

only problem im facing now is the passenger side header is up against the torsion bar...a shim kit is on the way...but the engine needs to go lower...so maybe shim the driver side mount??

hey snake, really isnt THAT bad. I just had a few hiccups...my dumbass had the motor mounts on backwards at first, that was a TOTAL newbie mistake...i was thinking since there were 4 mounting provisions cast on one side of the block and 3 cast on the other side, naturally, i thought the motor mount with 3 holes went on the side with the 3 casted provisions and the 4 bolt hole mount went on the 4 hole side of the block....its awkward that its totally opposite.....LOL

but yea, the regular mini starter not clearing was kinda BS, but easy fix, i found a mini mini starter. I had to give a 100 bucks for it though from NAPA. LOL

only problem im facing now is the passenger side header is up against the torsion bar...a shim kit is on the way...but the engine needs to go lower...so maybe shim the driver side mount??

I don't know if I would even call it a newbie mistake. Sometimes crap happens. Hell, I broke the ear off of my Denso starter on my slanty when I was replacing it the other day. Old one crapped in a supermarket parking lot. I was so full of myself because I had a new one at home. Went and got it. Doing the field repair, wasn't paying attention, some guy was yakking my ear off about his awesome old truck he use to have, didn't get the nose of the starter in the register right. Snap. Old dog, rookie mistake. Feces occurs.

glad ya got it figured out got to love the help we get here .That shim for the right side mount will do the trick,my 360 shifted a tad 2 weeks ago and my header tube was rubbing on the T bar,I jack the motor up and slid a big washer under the mount work great.Good luck with the rest sure looks nice.PS hows that little girl doing,keeping ya up .

okay my schumacher shim kit came today...installing it now, i used a 1/4" and a 3/16 (7/16 total) on the driver side mount, and the header still hits the passenger side torsion bar...cant really go any higher on the drivers side....What gives? now what the hell to do?

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

maybe ditch the poly lock engine mounts altogether and use the stock rubber mounts with a torque strap?

maybe the transmission is too high because I'm also using a urethane tranny mount??

hell i dont know...lol

Maybe try taking out the trans mount and moving the tailshaft around to see what happens?

-
Back