Engine Value

-

Kar

Reaction score
After one good summer of cruising my 65 Valiant Signet (about 600 miles), which i was going to restore (famous last words). Well right before we painted it and put it all back together, I decided to mini tubb the back end and put a 8 3/4" rear end in, and add "B" body front disc, and so on. I had already completely rebuilt the 273 Commando 4bl, (30 over and mild cam upgrade, other than that it was built stock). The engine runs great, revs nice, and has a very nice streetable idle for the automatic. With everything else done, I have decided to build a 408, so my question is, what do you guys think my 65 273 4bl Commando, from top to bottom, front to back, ALL parts are correct:
Carb, Intake, Dist, Exhaust Manifolds, Valve Covers, Pulleys, Fan, fuel pump, starter,

The only item that was not good enough to restore/rebuild was the air breather.

What do you think I could get for it as a complete turn key package, and I am going to leave it in the car until its sold so someone can hear it run.

It would be perfect for someone wanting to swap from a 6 cyl.

I would guess max $500, though I'm not interested. It is hard for someone to trust an engine not built by them or a trusted shop. Also, people like to customize, so hard to please all. For example, my 1965 273 now has an aluminum intake, hydraulic cam w/ Rhoads lifters, alum water pump, ... Valuable to me, but I wouldn't expect others would even reimburse my parts expense.

Still has the small crankshaft register, I could not remember, but then I remember the guy that built the later model 904 for me, had to make some changes to it, so it would match up to the crank.

Correct dome top pistons at .03 over aren't cheap. The right buyer ( needs to buy/rebuild/replace a 65 273 engine ) is who you're looking for.
Good luck

I would say it might go up to a grand if it looks goog yet. There is a Commando on Ebay fresh rebuild that I think started above 8 grand and Is down to 3900 with no bites yet. That is engine and a 4 speed trans.

Letting a buyer hear it run is a great idea. Otherwise, with no provenance on the rebuild, it's a core with a DP distributor, ribbed VC, and a chrome air cleaner pot. I think that Chryslerfat is rolling a good number at you, $1,000.00. Small market for a 273-4 as it seems as folks get hooked on SB power, they want 400+ CID motors.

If I could hear it run, and you had all the slips for parts and labor, I'd probably go as high as $1000 with it 100% complete top to bottom and fan to crank hub. There's not much of a market for them unfortunatly - only the parts to either fit it in the car, or make something bigger look like it...

-
Back