-
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuda620

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking again for an early 400 to build. Reason for early is I heard the blocks bottom end is stronger? I'm more used to the 440,but I'm doin an A body. The more complete the better. I'm gonna need P.S. Alt,A.C brackets and accessories too. Thanks.

How many miles? Condition,does it rotate? How much are you asking? Thank You.

Splittin hairs. Find a 400. Any of them are fine.

Everyone's got an opinion... But its still what I'M lookin for that matters.... X2

Everyone's got an opinion... But its still what I'M lookin for that matters.... X2

Well, there's opinion, intention, and reality.
The opinion in some circles is the earlier blocks are better because the main webbing is thicker.
The intention of the factory was for the early "230" 400 blocks to be heavier duty and so called "cold weather" blocks. The ones cast prior to 6/72 or so I think.
The reality is while the main webbing should normally be thicker then even the same year other 400 castings, the standard casting quality rules applied. So both the main webbing and cylinder bores suffer heavy casting core shift and irregularities. Truth is - only with careful inspection of more than a couple "230" correctly dated 400 blocks will you find one that is actually stronger and thicker in the right palces with little core shift. I own 3 400 cores and core blocks, and have personally sonic tested and inspected another 3-4 over the years. If you must have that particular cblock, you will pay a premium for the opinion people selling them, and you will probably have no strength over any other 400 to show for the pleasure.
IMO, the later 70s 400s have the most accurate castings, and as a result the consistently thickest bores with a main webbing stronger than any other factory B or RB block.
Sincerely intended - good luck with your search.

Sold the 400, Have 440, 53k runs good, pulled from motorhome and stored inside, complete with 727, however it is the short shaft used in trucks. $$800 for the 440, I can sell the mounts and oil pan,kick down linkage, etc. They won't work in a car. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back