EngineMasters Episode 21 408/410 stroker w/ported heads

-
Nice! Iron geared roller cam. Gotta love Crane for that one.

Eddy performer right out of the box on my 418 stroker.
511 torque @ 4300 and 480 HP @ 5700
LD340 dual Plane intake with just the MP mod.
Should I pull them off and send them out to get ported? Nahhh. Works fine the way it is. :) But never say never...
Hummm, and I just put my LD-340 up for sale. What am I thinking?!?!?!

I would have loved to have seen a couple of things.
Before/After flow rates would have been nice.
A decent look at the port job.
A look at the rockers and maybe a mention of longer pushrods that were probably needed.

I was so curious I messaged Steve and was told the rockers are just a Crane W2 1.6 and flowrates were in the low 300's. I'm also a little surprised the torque does not crack the 500 ft/lb barrier but then again --"that cam". They should take that engine and shim the lifters to short-travel and I bet the ugly shape of it would improve greatly while still using the same camshaft. Then again a nice solid flat tappet would probably unleash an eyebrow raising amount of power. J.Rob

I would have loved to have seen a couple of things.
Before/After flow rates would have been nice.
A decent look at the port job.
A look at the rockers and maybe a mention of longer pushrods that were probably needed.

I was so curious I messaged Steve and was told the rockers are just a Crane W2 1.6 and flowrates were in the low 300's. I'm also a little surprised the torque does not crack the 500 ft/lb barrier but then again --"that cam". They should take that engine and shim the lifters to short-travel and I bet the ugly shape of it would improve greatly while still using the same camshaft. Then again a nice solid flat tappet would probably unleash an eyebrow raising amount of power. J.Rob

I agree.

Hummm, and I just put my LD-340 up for sale. What am I thinking?!?!?!

I saw that and was wondering the same thing.:D
Darn near jumped on that for the Wife's 72 318.
It has all new lifters and roller timing gear with a 1968 grind 340 cam from Pishta in it though. (with a 2 barrel):D

I saw that and was wondering the same thing.:D
Darn near jumped on that for the Wife's 72 318.
It has all new lifters and roller timing gear with a 1968 grind 340 cam from Pishta in it though. (with a 2 barrel):D
In box ios full ... mkae offer ....

If I remember right, Dulcich used these heads in an Engine Masters mag a few years ago on a 408 with a solid roller in the 260 @.050 range, same crane 1.6 roller rockers mid 600s lift and claimed just over 600 HP. Compression was around 12:1. I think.

If I remember right, Dulcich used these heads in an Engine Masters mag a few years ago on a 408 with a solid roller in the 260 @.050 range, same crane 1.6 roller rockers mid 600s lift and claimed just over 600 HP. Compression was around 12:1. I think.
IIRC, it was a set of W2's.

Rumble, I clearly remember the JB Weld on a set of Eddy heads. I may still have the mag some where if the wife didn,t stick it in the litter box.

He used a set of Procomp that were done that Bruce guy..,.Airwolf...I got the article in the magazine...

He used a set of Procomp that were done that Bruce guy..,.Airwolf...I got the article in the magazine...

I will muddy the waters furthe. If you go way back I thought they were LP Commandos on something. I do not ever recall Eddy's modded this way. J.Rob

He shows those same Eddy heads (the heads on the EM video 408 vs 408) on a Roadkill short video on the Motortrend pay channel, epoxy filled and relocated pushrod hole, the drill fixture he patterned off of W2 heads, and mentions they made 600 hp on a solid roller 408.

He shows those same Eddy heads (the heads on the EM video 408 vs 408) on a Roadkill short video on the Motortrend pay channel, epoxy filled and relocated pushrod hole, the drill fixture he patterned off of W2 heads, and mentions they made 600 hp on a solid roller 408.
OOPS!, not the 408 vs 408 Eddy heads (my duh!), the ported Eddy heads on this current EM video are the ones he shows on the Roadkill short vid I mention above.

PM me if you want to haggle, open forum offer made to trailbeast because his PM box is full. Awaiting his reply.

Whoops, sorry.
Not used to only having space for a few messages.
Thank you very much for the offer, and though it's a heck of a deal I think it would be wasted on her car (under the circumstances) like she never drives it.
Mine doesn't need it, but I do thank you again and didn't mean to hold anything up.

OK, I found the mag. Summer 2009 issue, pages 24-34. I don't know if you can read the print,but they are Eddy heads. Here are a few pics. I was always annoyed that they put a flow chart for a ford intake instead of the super vic. Looks like the same heads and intake as used on the youtube video.
IMG_3077.JPG
IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

NICE! What was the cam specs to that bad boy?

It says crane cam 260/266 @ .050 672 lift with the 1.6 rockers. 12.5:1 compression, hooker 1 3/4 headers. 2009 issue, these heads are 18 years old, I guess JB weld ain't so bad.

-
Back