Enough room for 15x10 on a Demon?

-

element303

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I can fit these without having to cut on my '72 Demon? I have been searching and searching and there is not much good stuff to be found for that weird bolt pattern.

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/brw-997513440/overview/

Not sure if anyone have the experience but does the backspacing work with that wheel so it wont stick out the body etc?

Also, sadly they only made a 15x10 version of this wheel in 5x4 BP, so I was planning to paint one of the rally wheels for the front so at least the color match. 15x10 seems a little extreme for the front....

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am aiming for 295/60 wheel in the rear and maybe 225 in the front. Should I go with 15x10 or could I also use 15x8 for a 295/60 tire?

Thank you for the help!

You're going to need to mini tub it to get a 15 x 10 otherwise they'll be hanging out the wheel lip. Don't limit yourself to 4" bolt pattern - your wheel choices will be limited. But you have to upgrade the axles and brakes to do it. Or a 8.8 Explorer or rear out of a Ford Maverick/Comet.

Just get new axles and drill the drums. New axles are like $400 from moser. May as well do that as long as you're mini tubbing and moving springs.

295 is mountable on a 8 inch wide rim, thats the smallest recommended width however i think you will have a hard time fitting a 295 under there without moving the springs. I have a 275 under mine and have maybe 3/8" or 1/2" clearance between inner sidewall and spring and about 1/4" between the outter sidewall and quarter lip

295 is mountable on a 8 inch wide rim, thats the smallest recommended width however i think you will have a hard time fitting a 295 under there without moving the springs. I have a 275 under mine and have maybe 3/8" or 1/2" clearance between inner sidewall and spring and about 1/4" between the outter sidewall and quarter lip

Same here. 275's on 8" rims, and there ain't no more room.

Just get new axles and drill the drums. New axles are like $400 from moser. May as well do that as long as you're mini tubbing and moving springs.

You cannot use the 4" drums with 4.5 axles even if you drill them. The flange is wider and the drum wont fit flush.

You can have your axles and drums drilled to 4.5 with race studs installed for $200. Cheapest way to go and you won't need new backing plates and brakes for 2.5 width brakes. Leave all your original parts in place.

You will use 8" wheels with a 4.5 back space as measured to the edge of the whleel. so it would be centered 4" in 4" out. when measuring back space you always go to the end of the lip. Lip to lip 8" wheels are 9"s wide.

Been doing this conversion for years and we also do the axles and drums on an indexer. Yes they hold up to 15x10.5 x 27 slicks and do not break the studs out.

Big bolt axles move the flange out 3/8" and the backing plate is deeper for the wider brakes.

Just a heads up. This is all off the top of my head .But pretty sure of the numbers.

Oh yeah 67 axles don't have the extra two balance holes. hard to find but more meat between the studs. Good luck

14X10s with N50 tires on a duster, same wheel well
springs in stock location

295s on 8s will roll the edges up off the pavement at realistic tire pressure, offering no advantage over 275s at streetable pressures.
My 295s require 24 psi or less to sit flat with 10s. 24psi doesn't corner that well, but I have gotten used to it doing the little dance back there.A tall 275 can bite pretty good at 300hp. But without a traction aider, they suck at 400

would you guys with the 275's be so nice to show me some pics from behind and sideways from behind if you have any? thank you.

I took some 15x10 white spokes, cut and moved the centers to 6" back space and it works ok but then I have SS springs. Running 29.5 x 10.5 M&Hs so I had to make a few other minor mods but with street tires I can see it working out for you. I'm running a 68 B body 8.75 rear. The street tires are 295/50/15 on 8" rims with 4 5/8 backspace. I wanted 5" backspace but couldn't get it on the wheel I needed.
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

thank you buddy! that looks pretty awesome. did you had to cut or move the springs or anything? if not, it looks to me like there is enough space for a 295 tire with a spacer or no?

No room for a 295, it will rub the springs and the quarter lip, nothig modified, however im running sbp rear and using one inch billet adapters to lbp. The spacer gives me perfect offset to center the wheels in there and run a 275.

Ok, I will go with 275 too then. Thank you! At least I have more options for the wheels. How do you lower a car with those type of springs?

Not too sure about lowering, 72blu may pop in. But these type of rears where the axle is on top of the springs you can ad lowering blocks to lower the rear.

No room for a 295, it will rub the springs and the quarter lip, nothig modified, however im running sbp rear and using one inch billet adapters to lbp. The spacer gives me perfect offset to center the wheels in there and run a 275.

Do you have,on your car,the offset springhangers? Those will move the springs over to not be an issue; but then the inner tubs will be.Those hangers will allow about 15 more mm on the inboard side. And it looks like you might be able to grab another 2 or 3 on that same side as it stands. So now you would be at 275 + 15+3 =293. This leaves just a little trimming, rolling, or bending of the outer lip. Having said that, OP look up into your tub and notice the step that the inner tub has just a bit higher up there than the opening. So just because the tire is in there, doesn't necessarily mean you can drive it.If your ride height is too low, the tire will hit that step on nearly every bump, and forget about passengers, or using the trunk. So be careful in what you wish for.
Well positioned 275s on 8s or 8.5s are safe.

-
Back