Epic Ride to See Black Sabbath in Irvine, CA

-
Made it home in one piece, 2176 miles, 47 year old guy on a 36 year old bike. Everything seemed different, didn't even put the key in the door but fired up the Jeep, gotta get the dogs...

Got the Bratwiellers and they loved me and I loved them with treats and such.... but things changed. Everything felt and feels different.

...Back to work again for a week and still, things are different.. in a good way. Oddly, people can't look me straight in the eye. I've been on road trips, 300 miles, maybe 400 at most.

Please tell me how hard you ride? I look and see square tire, bar to bar riders, proudly wearing their "Sturgis" shirts. I'm incredibly impressed by the stories of the rain they hit in their Ford tow and back up vehicle. "Well, it was really muddy and we had the 8 person camper, so no reason to really RIDE anywhere".....

so did u have fun was it a good time any pics of the show

On the other hand, riders of machines gave the "Giant Wave"... Why might ask you? 'Cause in the West, I-15 with a 80 mph limit, both the South and North lanes are divided by at least a 100 yards.. Yes, a football field and some of us doing triple digit speeds. Here, in the mountains, it's the "low wave"...

I do what I say and I say what I do. There is no lying in me.
I am what I am and I will traverse hell country for the right woman.

Very cool story!

So when are you moving to Cali to be with your lady?!

Best of luck thanks for sharing your epic ride!

Damn.Things to think about. Take your time.

Abody, my legs are finally doing what I'm telling them to do. Last Saturday when I got home,,,, I thought I moved over to key in the code for the garage and fell right on my face. Upper body and mind was willing, but my legs just stopped responding to my brain.

Good morning Joe, Wow! that had to be one hell of a ride, out law storms chasing you around in the desert and dodging hail and tip toeing around mud slides
You my friend have drove threw hell and made it to your destination and I see why now
She is a beauty and a great part of your past
I am proud to see your Kaw made the drip and was a trusty Steed on this very long trip, over 2.000 miles this week from what I understand there was many trying time and you came out on top This was a great feet brother it took endurance faith and allot of get it dun in your spirit I am very proud of you Joe That was a trip you can say many will never attempt and if they did you dun it in the worst conditions at times .
Happy to see you road the storm out and showed the out laws of nature you can survive and keep on moving forward. wow! Happy to see you made it home and look's and sounds like some outstanding memories where made you will never forget

My wife and I were great friends in high school and after school we both moved away. 19 years later and on the 20th anniversary of our meeting in that classroom, I proposed in said classroom. Good on you for chasing your dream, my wife never left my mind in 19 years.

Here's a pic of my bike on the way out for a 3 day camping trip.

79941180.jpg

Curious, did the VIP stuff get you a Meet & Greet with the band? If so, is Iommi one of those guys who will take the time to talk with you, just like an average person?.

I've met some people like that before, (the members of LA Guns, Brad Gillis of Night Ranger, etc). Iommi is on my list of guitarists I have to meet some day, just to thank him. The same goes for Blackmore, he's also a "must meet"

Hey, great story and great times seeing one of the greatest bands on one of the greatest bikes to see an (obviously) great woman! I'm a stone's throw from the 15 freeway and it rained pretty good here today!

*Thumbs up!* I think I've gotta get a trip going on my '81 Kawi GPZ1100 soon!

Good morning Joe, Wow! that had to be one hell of a ride, out law storms chasing you around in the desert and dodging hail and tip toeing around mud slides
You my friend have drove threw hell and made it to your destination and I see why now
She is a beauty and a great part of your past
I am proud to see your Kaw made the drip and was a trusty Steed on this very long trip, over 2.000 miles this week from what I understand there was many trying time and you came out on top This was a great feet brother it took endurance faith and allot of get it dun in your spirit I am very proud of you Joe That was a trip you can say many will never attempt and if they did you dun it in the worst conditions at times .
Happy to see you road the storm out and showed the out laws of nature you can survive and keep on moving forward. wow! Happy to see you made it home and look's and sounds like some outstanding memories where made you will never forget

As you know Mike, there is way more to the story than I wrote here including mudslides and sandstorms in the Mojave. :)

My wife and I were great friends in high school and after school we both moved away. 19 years later and on the 20th anniversary of our meeting in that classroom, I proposed in said classroom. Good on you for chasing your dream, my wife never left my mind in 19 years.

Here's a pic of my bike on the way out for a 3 day camping trip.

79941180.jpg

KLR 650? Those dang bikes rock!

Curious, did the VIP stuff get you a Meet & Greet with the band? If so, is Iommi one of those guys who will take the time to talk with you, just like an average person?.

I've met some people like that before, (the members of LA Guns, Brad Gillis of Night Ranger, etc). Iommi is on my list of guitarists I have to meet some day, just to thank him. The same goes for Blackmore, he's also a "must meet"

No, it didn't, but meeting once again, the queen of all my dreams was worth every raindrop. The only thing I missed on this trip was a broadsword. I had to pull out the big bowie once in Mesquite, NV. Crackhead **** is going to rip me off? I saw **** that would make your mother cry... I said nothing and just unzipped the tank bag and went right for that puke..

Hey, great story and great times seeing one of the greatest bands on one of the greatest bikes to see an (obviously) great woman! I'm a stone's throw from the 15 freeway and it rained pretty good here today!

*Thumbs up!* I think I've gotta get a trip going on my '81 Kawi GPZ1100 soon!

Just do it... I know it sounds hackneyed... Just go... :cheers:

Bighammer, The young picture of us was 1979/1980.. I saw BS shortly thereafter and if IIRC (crazy days) I think Ian Gillain from Deep Purple was the singer. I'm amazed I have a few brain cells left.....

Pretty sure Dio was the frontman for Sabbath in 1980 Heaven and Hell. Ian Gillian was around 84-85 I think, with the Born Again album. Thanks for sharing your trip. Love Sabbath!!!

Hell of a trip. Nice vintage Kaw, too.

I saw the original lineup at Ozzfest 2003?.

Had great seats (could see Iommi's plastic fingertips), but no VIP.

Judas Priest was also on the bill and as always kicked major *** (although I think they are done now).

I saw a pic of my future wife hanging on the wall of my current brother in laws apartment when we went to go check out a custom GPZ 650 chopper he was building.
I remember saying "Who is THAT? She's beautiful!"
That was in 1989. Fast forward to 1999 and she's getting out of a bad 10 year marriage.

We've been together since. Funny how things work out sometimes.

I don't have any questions, and would just like to tip my hat to a man who would enjoy all 2176 miles just to meet his lady!! Long after all of the clothes are dried out and the bike put away, the memories of this ride will still make you smile as you tell the story!! I think you said it best....everything is different, and I think that's good!! We all live driving down the path that we've created, but when you take to a new road it sure opens your eyes and your heart!!

My hats off to you Ram....and thanks for letting us ride along with you on this one!!!
Geof

Dang, Joe! Great story!
I knew you were going to be taking a ride to San Diego but never realized you were going to be in Irvine. I work in Irvine.
Sounds like you had a memorable trip ("memorable" kind of covers all kinds of things doesn't it?) and your trusty Kawi never missed a beat.
Love the pics from Boulder. Did you have breakfast at "The Coffee Cup"? Great little place for breakfast there in Boulder.
Again, sounds like a great experience despite the mudslide, rain, hail and all. Longest ride I've done on two wheels was SoCal to Yosemite and back on a long weekend.
Worst experience I ever had driving the Mojave was going to Las Vegas through a butterfly migration. Got so bad with orange splats all over the front of the car, windshield and radiator. We had to stop several times to clear the windshield wipers, grille and radiator. Imagine that on your bike and faceshield/goggles.

Sabbath rules ! Way better then Zeppelin, Yes I said it.

Tommy Clufetos is a great drummer, Fun to watch. Geezer is probably my biggest influence on bass.

-
Back