ET'S with ported J/or other iron heads SB

-
  • What we don't know is if Speedmaster heads will ever be on sale again for 703 (40% off). So 703, as of today, is unrealistic. To buy today would be over 1100.00
  • IF somebody has iron heads already and have good guides, I've never stuck much more than 175.00 in exhaust valves, springs, and porting stones. Just say'n.
  • Look at the ET slips posted above, some without 2.02's. depends on what somebody's goal is as well.
"IF"... LOL...
Okay the normal 30% off sale twice a year 820 the door....
'IF".... You had to start from scratch with no heads...???..

"IF"... LOL...
Okay the normal 30% off sale twice a year 820 the door....
'IF".... You had to start from scratch with no heads...???..
still depends on budget. Last 596 heads I bought were 3 heads for 50 bucks. All had decent valve guides and intake valves. Selling two of them to a guy for 200 ported and new exhaust valves. He'll just have to buy his springs and lap the intakes. So he'll be around 275 into a pair of ported 596 heads with new springs/exhaust valves, umbrella seals. Like I say, no "one size fits all" here.

still depends on budget. Last 596 heads I bought were 3 heads for 50 bucks. All had decent valve guides and intake valves. Selling two of them to a guy for 200 ported and new exhaust valves. He'll just have to buy his springs and lap the intakes. So he'll be around 275 into a pair of ported 596 heads with new springs/exhaust valves, umbrella seals. Like I say, no "one size fits all" here.
well I believe if we're going to continue in the spirit of this 2007 thread the first words were ET? ... I also think we're establishing with other threads that even a cheap set of aluminum heads out of the box likely out performe ("most") cast iron stuff with the obvious 50lb weight loss as well...??

You say they were ported? Were they flow tested on a flow bench? LOL.. I just want to make sure they're not getting any reverse flow at certain lifts...:poke:..
:rofl:...:D...

Not an ET prediction, because that has at least as much to do with the car as the motor..... but.....

There is no doubt in my mind that I couldn’t put together a pretty bread and butter 408 with prepped SM heads and a solid cam that made an easy 500hp.

Then the question becomes...... what can you get your car to do with 500hp?

Unless you can do most of the head work yourself, or get a smokin deal on really nicely done iron heads...... you’ll likely spend more to get 500hp using iron heads.

I just like the look of an iron head in my engine bay. If I was doing an all out drag only car it would be different. Thats why I dropped the coin on a set of W2s . Which was probably only about 700$ more overall. If that much ....
Hoping for high 10s

well I believe if we're going to continue in the spirit of this 2007 thread the first words were ET? ...
yes, please do read the thread title again... ET with J heads or other iron heads... LOL Funny how you left the last part out??? Convenience of your point I suppose? We have about 4 threads going on right now about SM heads, but you'll try to turn this one into the 5th? LOL

You say they were ported? Were they flow tested on a flow bench? LOL.. I just want to make sure they're not getting any reverse flow at certain lifts...:poke:..
:rofl:...:D...
I bench flow at the same place I dyno, at the strip :)

I just like the look of an iron head in my engine bay. If I was doing an all out drag only car it would be different. Thats why I dropped the coin on a set of W2s . Which was probably only about 700$ more overall. If that much ....
Hoping for high 10s
yep, I totally understand. I seen x heads to 10's, and aluminum heads go 12's. Like PHR said, it's not just about the heads, it's everything

Yes...If we were just looking for ETs we would all be sporting bigblocks or LS motors . Its the challenges of wringing HP out of what we have.
And everryone has to admit they are in awe of a really fast car that looks old school.
FAST series ?

In the spirit of the thread title.....

1993/94 time frame......ported 587’s on a 10.5cr 340...... in a 3550lb 68 Satellite...... 11.66@117
Auto, 4800 stall, 5.13’s, shift at 7500.

Not enough stall, a little too much cam.....60’s weren’t that good...... mid/low-1.60’s.

Motor made 400tq/454hp

Ported the heads more, upped cr to 11:1, made 412tq/478hp

Ended up selling it

Last edited:
Yes...If we were just looking for ETs we would all be sporting bigblocks or LS motors . Its the challenges of wringing HP out of what we have.
And everryone has to admit they are in awe of a really fast car that looks old school.
FAST series ?
where did LS come in at??? LOL Don't buy the hype. Most that are going fast are being boosted or something. Just like any motor on big boost...

Ran 12.90s in the early 90s
73 340 Dart Sport
j heads with 2.055 valves (no porting)
MP 284/ 280 cam
LD 340
69 ex manifolds
833 O.D and 4.10s (raced with 3 gears)
Battery in trunk and empty shell upfront for looks.
1.60 60 fts...

FAST series ?
Sorry its big block or gen3 no way an Ls that's just gay.

For COMPARISON only,
I had this combo on the right

----------XYZ----------------------------------------------my 2nd iteration streeter------
75 Dart Swinger. 3480Lbs with me in it ----------------- 68 barracuda@3650,me in it
360 .030 over ------------------------------------------- 360/.040 over/ 10.8Scr
Weiand x-cellerator intake ------------------------------- RPM air gap, 750DP
cam is sum 20-232-4 .480/.480 lift 280/280----------- 270/276/110+4 cam,[email protected]
9 1/2" X 26" MT's ---------------------------------------- street tires; mightabin 245/60-14s
Mp performance convertor 2400-2600 stall ------------- clutch,
8 1/4 suregrip with 4.10's -------------------------------- 3.55s, SG
cheetah manual valve body,904 tranny ------------------ Regular A833
ss springs ----------------------------------------- bagged out factory springs w/extra main
3 way adjustable shocks ------------------------- ancient 3-way MunroeMatics on; "stiff"
MP distributor with msd2 coil -------------------- modified old fact.D/Orange box/Accell Super
Iron "J" heads with stock valves and mild port ---------- OOTB Eddies, @ ~180psi
Dynomax headers with X pipe, 2 1/2" exhaust --------- TTIs with full length dual 3s, H-pipe
Magnaflow "wideopen" mufflers ------------------------- Dynomax 3-pass,3in/3out

60' 1.83 -------------------------------------------------- mid 2.4s
1/4 [email protected] -------------------------------------- 12.9@106

Like I said; for comparison only.
For those who may be thinking, is it worth it to switch. IDK

Did someone say FAST??

[email protected]

FC042CCD-F40B-4311-966E-1DB35CFA009B.png

8C845030-2928-4680-91A9-2A3543DB26B9.png

With a mechanical fan that PHR says draws 30plus horsepower; that's pretty impressive. And an alternator, and 5/16 fuel-line, and a heater, and looks like a factory coil too! Whoaa, exhaust manifolds and no fresh air intake in sight.....
waitaminute; is that really a 340?
Whatever it is; with factory iron heads, nice work !

Not to mention the repop bias ply tires.

And, it has to run with the correct air cleaner in place.

But...... all is not as it seems.

For starters...... no, it’s not a 340.
Then use your imagination from there.

The F and A in F.A.S.T. are “Factory Appearing

FAST Factory Appearing Stock Tire Drag Racing

Looking at the highlight reel on the FAST site...... it’s actually been as quick as 10.70@126.

Last edited:
-
Back