Even custom cams aren't perfect

-
Why don't you call Milodon?

Or Fliudamper and ask them. That's just two.

Been running gear drives for decades. You wouldn't even know it if you were standing next to the engine.

I do know my cam timing never moves. My ignition timing is dead nuts on. And I'm not breaking cranks or cams.

So again, better to do some research rather than repost **** you hear.

Why don't you call Milodon?

Or Fliudamper and ask them. That's just two.

Been running gear drives for decades. You wouldn't even know it if you were standing next to the engine.

I do know my cam timing never moves. My ignition timing is dead nuts on. And I'm not breaking cranks or cams.

So again, better to do some research rather than repost **** you hear.

So you are saying that turning a camshaft does not produce harmonic vibrations, I am sure you have turned a cam without being connected to the crank, it doesn't turn smooth, it turns hard till you get over the top of the lobe then rotates on its own till it hits the next lobe coming up.
This action twist and releases the cam and sets up the vibration & the banging back & forth sets up the vibration.
The gears transmits the vibration to the crank, & the crank has it's own vibrations that do the same thing. I'm not saying the gear drive is a bad thing I am saying I would not use one in my engine. You can't convince me that a metal to metal gear drive absorbents vibration better than a rubber belt or a chain. As for a Fluidamper they are only good for a engine running a constant speed. They are always out of balance till they are balanced, and when the rpm drops the fluid is still moving trying to balance, They are out of balance on the way up and on the way down.
Scat crankshaft doesn't recommend them, Ohio crankshaft doesn't recommend them, Eagle Crankshaft had no comment but the guy I talked to did say he has a steel damper on his engine. So maybe you should do some research. I talk from knowledge not from shi* I hear.
Any one can call tech lines and talk about the products
but you need to use common sense, there selling there product!

Or just buy the jesel belt drive

ccrp-1110-22-o-pump-gas-small-block-mopar-cam-advancing-retarding.jpg

So you are saying that turning a camshaft does not produce harmonic vibrations, I am sure you have turned a cam without being connected to the crank, it doesn't turn smooth, it turns hard till you get over the top of the lobe then rotates on its own till it hits the next lobe coming up.
This action twist and releases the cam and sets up the vibration & the banging back & forth sets up the vibration.
The gears transmits the vibration to the crank, & the crank has it's own vibrations that do the same thing. I'm not saying the gear drive is a bad thing I am saying I would not use one in my engine. You can't convince me that a metal to metal gear drive absorbents vibration better than a rubber belt or a chain. As for a Fluidamper they are only good for a engine running a constant speed. They are always out of balance till they are balanced, and when the rpm drops the fluid is still moving trying to balance, They are out of balance on the way up and on the way down.
Scat crankshaft doesn't recommend them, Ohio crankshaft doesn't recommend them, Eagle Crankshaft had no comment but the guy I talked to did say he has a steel damper on his engine. So maybe you should do some research. I talk from knowledge not from shi* I hear.
Any one can call tech lines and talk about the products
but you need to use common sense, there selling there product!

Hmmmm, so you have done as much research on harmonics as Chrysler, because Chrysler called out fludiamper for years, and still do AFAIK. So you're wrong about that. How can it go in and out of balance? You ever balanced a crank?

As far as gear drives, use what you want. But most of what you posted is bullshit.

Bullcrap unless you can provide documented evidence that a gear drive transfers harmonics to the crank. Bullshit. You might convince me it goes the other way, from crank to cam. But not from the cam to the crank.

Do some research and see what actually uses a gear drive.

Edit: evidently, you've never seen what Fuel burning engines use to drive the cam. Or blown alcohol stuff. Or the 410 sprint car stuff that makes lap after lap after lap after lap with more lift than most people here run.

Vibrations are a two way street. No matter what your dealing with. Trains, planes, automobiles, the ladies vibrator.... LMAO!

Milodon makes, or made a small block drive. Buddy of mine runs one. Quiet. Although with his set up its hard to tell. Low 9 second Demon. It was a breeze to set up. I think when he bought it, maybe 7 years a ago.....it was a shade under 400 bucks. Not really bad considering the Cloyes timing gear set up I ordered today was 135.

CAT did make one for us SB guys. Pretty reasonable if I recall. Under 200 bucks. I think they still make it. China, though. I try to avoid the stuff if possible. Wouldn't even THINK of that stuff in my valve train.

I heard harmonic issues. Heard of horsepower robbing, too. Wish I had a Milodon unit. I throw it on there in a heartbeat and never give it another thought.

Got the Cloyes timing set on and fits real nice and tight. Re degreed my cam and don't ya know it still come out to 109.5. As said before, it should be 108 LSA and Bullet wants it installed at 104.
Moving the Cloyes crank gear to the 4 advance position gets me to 104.5. Repeated the process a few times to be sure, and I guess that's where she's gonna stay.

It amazing to compare the Howards crank gear and the Cloyes. They both have 9 different keyway for advance or retard, but they are NOT exactly the same distance apart. Cloyes seem to be a touch farther advanced than the Howards, given the same markings, 2A, 4A, etc.

So that's probably over and done. Time to get the slugs in and get moving. But that's another post....
20170128_180547.jpg

They use to make offset keys for the cam, I know I have some. If you know a machinist you can get one made. I made some for a 4cyl 2 stroke street bike I had, man that thing ran good after that.

2 strokes do not have cams, where did you put the offset key brain6iac? and Ironmike, you are not measuring Lobe Seperation Angle, you are measuring intake centerline,

You missed the whole thing Ironmike said it came out to 109.5 adv 4 got 104.5 he wants 104 you could do it with a offset key for the cam. No 2strokes don't have cams but mine had a fixed electronic ignition with a max advance. By installing a offset key in the flywheel I was able to get 5 more degrees advance. It was a 1985 and really plugged up for emissions, but with some good pipes, carb work, ignition advance it ran good. 500cc 94.81hp and with a total weight of 320lbs that makes for a fun ride.

003.JPG

201.jpg

You missed the whole thing Ironmike said it came out to 109.5 adv 4 got 104.5 he wants 104 you could do it with a offset key for the cam. No 2strokes don't have cams but mine had a fixed electronic ignition with a max advance. By installing a offset key in the flywheel I was able to get 5 more degrees advance. It was a 1985 and really plugged up for emissions, but with some good pipes, carb work, ignition advance it ran good. 500cc 94.81hp and with a total weight of 320lbs that makes for a fun ride.

View attachment 1715013227

View attachment 1715013228

Still got it?

Still got it?

Sold it last year, funnest bike I ever had to ride. This was a 85 I also had a 84 before then I figured out all the tricks on the 85, would out run a r6 till about 125mph.

He said it should be 108L.S.A. which he is not measuring, he is measuring intake centerline

I was talking about centerline, you can't adjust LSA. He said that the best he could do was 104.5 and all I said was he could get exactly what he wants with a offset key for the cam. Not sure how we even got here?

Sold it last year, funnest bike I ever had to ride. This was a 85 I also had a 84 before then I figured out all the tricks on the 85, would out run a r6 till about 125mph.

The guy that bought it put it in a museum never to run again, (so sad).

You missed the whole thing Ironmike said it came out to 109.5 adv 4 got 104.5 he wants 104 you could do it with a offset key for the cam. No 2strokes don't have cams but mine had a fixed electronic ignition with a max advance. By installing a offset key in the flywheel I was able to get 5 more degrees advance. It was a 1985 and really plugged up for emissions, but with some good pipes, carb work, ignition advance it ran good. 500cc 94.81hp and with a total weight of 320lbs that makes for a

View attachment 1715013227

View attachment 1715013228
Meant to say that thing must have been awesome. Had an FJ1100 back then and had no idea they still made 2 strokes for USA sales. Wouldn't mind taking that 500 for a ride right now....

Meant to say that thing must have been awesome. Had an FJ1100 back then and had no idea they still made 2 strokes for USA sales. Wouldn't mind taking that 500 for a ride right now....

They never brought them in the states mine was a Japan version with an aluminum frame, Canada got them and so did Europe but they where steel frames. At the time when I had 2 there was only about 50 RZV500R in the states. The steel frames where RZ500's, there is quite a few of those in the states. The motor was 2, 2stroke twins geared together.

1347314.JPG

Ah..I thought I might be right on the US thing. Was pretty into bike back then as well as cars. Beautiful bike, man. I'm sure you had a blast on that. Was it a fuel/oil mix or oil injected?

Injected, 1 tank oil 5 tanks gas. Worked out good but it was a pig 20mpg, but no body said fun was cheap!

-
Back