ever been??

should there be a cutoff year?

• under 85

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • over 85

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters
-
we have a local show friday nights and saturday morning. i take my charger down there, do a couple hot laps in 1st gear and then i leave. there are a couple mopars but hardly worth getting out of my car for. they are in a sea of new mustangs, challengers and euro junk . there is a little group of vw guys and they are the only guys that give me the thumbs up when i go cammin by them. as the saying goes, if i dont like, i dont look, everyone has their own idea of what cool is regardless of year, make, or model

I don't think a cut-off date is needed.
But your car should be older than your girlfriend or wife.

There should be a tech crew examining vehicles for any show, this would make any person who thinks their vehicle is unique to think twice, I've seen chop top mini's two years old that are awesome..

Keep it old.... once you've seen one of the new Challengers, mustangs,camaros, you have seen them all.

as for Moparfest, the cutoff for participating in the car draw is 1986. I read an article (that I can't find now) that said there will be no age cutoff for actual participants cars.

This is off their site,
Open to all years of Mopars (Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/AMC/Fargo/DeSoto/Hudson/Willys etc.) as well as customized newer cars & truck that provide a photoand details about the vehicle at the time of registration.

If you just brought classic cars you would not see as many hot, young babes at the events.

Bring the new cars for the love of Pete! LOL.......unless you like granny's depends.

I don't think there should be a year cut off. But if they are newer than 20 years old the car should be something you don't see to often. Like Bugatti Veyron and other low production cars.

How about a special spot for Corvettes. Like down the street somewhere. They are cool but lets face it, its only a chebby someone paid way too much money for.

I actually enjoy seeing a very well maintained Buick Grand National ,Mustang GT 5.0,or even a Dodge Omni GLH... I say over 20 years old.

X2- It is pretty rare to see some late 70's early 80's type cars that are in great condition. Stuff like the Pontiac Can Am, Anniversary Edition cars, Hurst Oldsmobiles, etc. can be super cool.

To a multi make car show, where it feels like the new age has outweighted the classics?

Jeez, went to a fundraiser today and really felt out of place. Left a donation and split after 1 hour.

Does the hobby need to separate new from old? I know this is an ongoing glass half full / glass half empty discussion, but,,,,,,
Next week is our spring fling and I am considering not attending, as well as not attending our largest gathering, Moparfest in the fall.

what do you think?
** I think you are getting very grumpy in your old age! lol.. You would be silly not to attend the Mopar functions! just my opinion!:protest:

A cutoff date is the stupid. Some people spend countless hours working on their cars and you want to deny them the right to come show it off to people? I really hate the intolerance here for kids with their newer cars. Yeah some of them are god damn annoying but you can't just stereotype a group of people because they like newer cars. At the end of the day they are car people too!

I say let EVERYONE in! Kick out any "bad apples" and let everyone bring their cars and have a good time because that's what its about!

To a multi make car show, where it feels like the new age has outweighted the classics?

Jeez, went to a fundraiser today and really felt out of place. Left a donation and split after 1 hour.

Does the hobby need to separate new from old? I know this is an ongoing glass half full / glass half empty discussion, but,,,,,,
Next week is our spring fling and I am considering not attending, as well as not attending our largest gathering, Moparfest in the fall.

what do you think?
Martin, these two shows are different we all know that. Hope to see you there as one of our favorite Mopar guys! If guys like you (us) stop attending then the newer cars have won . The hobby needs us!

^^X2. I don't particularly like all the cars I see at a car show, but I can respect the fact that some of them have as much time and money in their car as I might in mine. We all have different ideas of what looks, sounds and or runs good etc etc. Breaking up the classes would probably be the most fair. Heck, I own a 2010 Challenger....can I not attend a car show? I think so. Some forms of division would allow everybody to feel like they belong, new and old.

X3,....To a point,...I prefer mixing the cars, just cause anyone who does the wrench time should get they're time in the sun. But,....I am not a fan of "It must be factory to be right",...I like any car that has creativity, but not frivolity,...I'd much rather see a 360 with fuel injection in an 87 dodge pick-up with 4 wheel discs than a 99 point Duster restoration anyday...On he other side of the coin, who doesn't like seeing a 70 T/A next to a 2010 Challenger...

One of the premiere car shows around here is now more half done tuners and new muscle(Mustang, Chalenger, Camaro, etc.) than old cars, I can see the tuners as it gets the younger generation into the hobby, but seems like the new Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros are owned by old farts. As far as this show I quit going because it is held on a ball diamond in August(90 degrees with 90 percent humidity). Don't know why they don't plant some trees for shade.

I voted for under 85 but really think it should be 75'! Actually I do not object to modern (post 1975) cars being in car shows. Some of them are pretty neat and I do like to look at some of the new muscle. What I object to is the shows that combine modern and classic in the same classes.I really hate seeing best GM go to some 2010 ZR..whatever when there are nice old classics in the field. Post 75 cars should be judged completely separate from the early classics - including best of show awards..

It depends on the car. several new cars seem acceptable in my eyes. more rare versions of new cars and really sweet cars can come in.

I am NOT a fan of mixing the new with the old. Have areas for each..classic...rice...truck...new.
I try to support all the local shows and cruise nights, but as of late TO MANY times I have had to deal with stereo wars between cars, and no one needs that.
At one of our large cruise nights a guy comes in with a Diesel Hummer, lots of chrome and a big *** system, so much so he leaves his truck running to keep it charged {in the middle of the parking lot.} The smell was a bit much and a few guys asked him to shut it off, well they were told to piss off. The music being played by the event was drowned out by the truck and exhaust. The organizers asked his to shut the truck down due to complaints. The owners response was to leave by winding the hell out of truck to show he is pissed. This is coming a bit to frequent, if all you have to show is your Stereo your at the wrong show.
But lots of these local shows charge entry fees now so I guess ten bucks is 10 bucks LOL
AL

Man thats a hard question lot of my buddies aremustang guys and alot of kids want a newer car. We want the hobbie to grow however I dont really carefor a new car at a car show the mopar show I went to last weekend had a couple new challengers and I thought why but at some point my car was new andI hope somebody went and showed it off but in 1973 some guy was walking by and says what is that doing here. So I say bring any car to the show that your proud of I may not like it or look at it but somebody will and being proud of your car and showing it off is really what its all about right

There are crusie's, car shows and auto shows. Crusie's and auto shows are fine for the new cars. Car shows should be for the older cars.

I personally don't like Dividing up car shows by make, model, year, build type, anything. And purists piss me off more than they should. I don't think it's a good idea to divide up car shows and likewise the car enthusiasts that go to them along those sort of lines. It leads to a kind of philosophical inbreeding, where people take to dissing things that are actually really quite impressive, and trumpeting things that are really not all that special, if not downright inferior to its contemporaries.

I could give a couple of examples that I have dealt with myself, but not without starting a pissing match.

Now mind you, what I do think is important to separate cars by is what their owners are looking to get out of their rides. If they're looking for a car that's thumpin' stylin' profilin' low-ridin' etc. They should stay out of a show with a mind for performance. (And all you have to do to keep them out is to prohibit them from running their stereos at the show, trust me, they won't even show up in the first place.)

I really like what I see of the shows and meets put on by ricekiller.com and the like, As well as several local shows to me, which are open to all years, makes and models. You get to see everything, from a built, RHD GTR, to a rat rod with a mailbox intake made from an actual mailbox, to stuff that I didn't even knew existed. And that's all in between awesomely restored cars from the 30's through the 80's. and built performance cars of all kinds, exotics, straight up race cars, everything. And you get to interact with the owners of all these cars, ask questions, answer questions, and learn all kinds of stuff.

I'll never take my car to an all-mopar show. There's more worthwhile cars out there than just Mopars, And you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

I have been doing the car building/showing for many years,i hate going to shows where a new car competes against a classic. My problem is that the guy with the new car started with a 30-40 grand car then stuck a bunch of stuff on it and wella it's a show car while the guy with the classic spent 10-15 grand on just paint and then another 10-15 on parts over the course of many years ect. It is not fair to the classic guys i don't think they should be banned but there should be classes that they only compete against each other not us and what happened to under construction classes [diamond in the rough] for the folks whom haven't finished their projects but want to show them anyway,i realize that there are fewer young guns into classics there they are more into the new cars, toss in a chip and some rims you got a hotrod. Lets face it fellas we are gettin older and more resistant to change we want to hold on to our past,let the present in you don't have to like it but give it a chance,i personally like some of the new muscle cars like the Challenger,Mustang [can't afford one] but that don't mean i want to have to compete against them. I'm not voting because i think everyone should be able to enter a show no matter what it is. Don't ya'll remember the first car some of us had, a beatup bondo bomb but it was our pride and joy. My motto is never ever forget where ya came from. This hobby is for everyone last time i checked, no matter what kind of car or how old, it's my opinion that if you have issues with newer cars attending read the fliers and don't go to the one that allow any year.

I don't mind the newer cars at shows, but... it would be nice if they were separated from the older classics. At most shows they seperate the "tuners." JMO

I remember being a kid....maybe 8 or 10 and staying at a camp ground in St.Ignace MI during car show weekend. I am turning 40 right now so early 80's. I remember a couple of guys in probably their 40's at the time (they looked old to me) complaining about all the cars there that were 10 years old or so. Funny those cars were the last of the muscle cars. They were complaining specifically that there were 70's Trans Ams and Camaros there. That show is still pretty big today and I have the same complaint. Once the Friday and Saturday night cruising starts it is all kids in late model mustangs, semi late model camaros trans ams, imports and pickups with loud exhaust. Innocent and fun enough except for the diesels with the stacks trying to out soot each other and complete crappy cars with bumping stereos.....oh well I am getting old.

... this guy showing EVERYONE how deep his bass was uggg...

I was at a show in Monterey, CA and they had a contest like, that, but it was open headers...572 Hemi with open 2.5 Stahl headers creates alot of bass too! Zoomies are more Tom tom....

-
Back