ever seen a 1964 Chrysler 880

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the upholstery shop yesterday checking on my front seat and Glenn told me that a guy called him the other day trying to sell him a 1964 Chrysler 880 4 door car. Don't recall seeing many of them back in the day so I looked it up. I bet it would be hard to restore one of them.

Dodge 880, they were basically a Newport with changes to the sheetmetal because the downsizing that happened in '62 left Dodge without a full-sized car. You hardly ever see those beasts but I'd love to own one.

my buddy has a 64 880 2 door, one of the sickest cars ive ever seen; but hard as hell to find parts for

that's what I thought. I never asked him what kind of price he was asking for it.

really? not real impressed...
1962-1964-dodge-custom-880-1.jpg

I know a guy in town with an 880 wagon. I believe it to be a '65. It is quite the beast, but totally restored, and very cool looking.

The 880 was a hack job similar to the Demon. While the Demon was a Duster with a Dart front clip (note mismatched wheel well openings), the 880 was a 61 Chrysler with a Dodge Phoenix nose. Produced from 62-65, the best sales year was 1964 with 31,800 of them sold. Most were equipped with a 361, 2 bbl. It was rushed into production after Chrysler learned that the shrunken Chebby was not a shrunken Impala/Belaire but the Deuce. Chevy for its part came up with the Chevy II to replace the Corvair which was not selling well.

FWIW: Rumor and unconfirmed. The reason 1962 Dodge 440/Polara and Plymouth Fury looked a little strange is that they were put through a last minute downsize to meet the unexpected Chevy. The 62's were supposed to be downsized anyway, but when the rumor of the shrunken Chevy came to light, Exner and team tried to beat Chevy at its own game. The debacle put Exner out of a job, not helped by the ugly 60 & 61 models.

My brother has a 63 880 that he bought for $800. Runs great, drives good, has about 60K on it! Has been offered $8,000 for it. Nice car but hard to find parts for

in 1964 my dad bought a new dodge 880, wagon roof rack, 9 pas, full power. 383 engine. was good car. but had funky trans mount. we cobbled up just to get by. traded it for a new dodge charger.

what is it that some people say......... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I doubt if I would own one but it would be a neat car to see at a show.

Did the tranny mount look like this ?

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 261
That pic is a '62.

I am pretty sure it is a 63- don't mean to be disagreeable but-
We had one when I got my drivers license in 1964- 4 door hardtop- was loaded up- a factory "executive car" my Dad bought with a couple thousand miles on it- I tried to kill it- even neutral starts- had over 160000 miles on it- factory put new engine
in it with 18000 miles due to excessive oil consumption

About 7 years ago I was looking through craigslist for my first mopar, and believe it or not, I found a 64 dodge 880 4 door sedan for a really good price. I bought it out of a barn and got her running and driving good. I drove the car for a couple years, and then a guy drove all the way down from Minnesota to buy it off of me. I'll see if I can't find a couple pics.

The car has a unique look to it, but it was a great conversation starter at cruise ins because no one knew what it was. Mine had a 361 BB, and push button transmission. It was just a cool old car to cruise around in.

Attachments

• 100_3223.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_3228.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_3234.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 2010-08-08 15.17.17.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 241
A friend in high school got one of these that had been retired from the Highway Patrol - CHP in those days always ran mopars and they were FEARED! His had a 413 and ran really hard. I've talked with retired CHP officers and they still say the best cars they ever had were late 60's 440 Dodges - not many perps got away!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back