Excessive (isolated) 273 Adjustable Rocker Arm Tip Wear: Diagnosis & Repair?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I purchased a complete second-hand set of 273 adjustable rocker arms, shafts, spacers, bolts and washers for my '65 Valiant Signet Convertible (the set on the convertible I removed and "borrowed" for another motor rebuild).

While getting ready to clean up and install them on the convertible, I noticed one (and only one) rocker arm tip was worn/gouged. My second observation was that one of the oil holes on that particular rocker seems to be blocked/plugged/dirty. I guess that would explain the problem.

My question now is, can that damaged rocker tip face be corrected by grinding/polishing or whatever.

And, if so, do the other 15 rocker arm tips need to be re-faced or can I use them as is?
Thank you.

Messed-up rocker arm is on the right in both fotos:

DSC07179.JPG

DSC07180.JPG

That oil hole does little so I wouldn't worry about that. You can grind or file that rib flat and drill that hole if you want to.

The rocker is easily repaired. Any machine shop with a valve refacing machine (grinder) should have an attachment to clean up that pad.

It's a simple process when you have the machine.

I can't find the factory hole, if it ever was there in the first place. I don't see any sign/evidence of an oil hole for that location on the inside (shaft) side of the rocker either. Not convinced it was a factory quality control issue yet, but it may have been.

Maybe if I treat it with some "Rogaine" first, it will come out of hiding (lol).

DSC07181.JPG

DSC07182.JPG

DSC07183.JPG

Rocker Arms Unlimited will reface those types of rockers for about $13 each if you can't get it done locally. They will bush them pretty cheaply too if the bores are egged out.

Regarding the hole, some came without. I don't remember the theory behind it, but I know some people would block the holes on top of the arm.

Being the fact that blocked rocker arm is the only one that screwed up the tip (and I am sure of the valve stem tip also) I am pretty much sold on the benefits of that little oil duct.

I have two other complete sets that were overhauled by Rocker Arms Unlimited but I am saving those for my 340 projects. This old rusty '65 convertible I am just trying to get running and moving again. (see foto)

Signet convertible.jpg

Being the fact that blocked rocker arm is the only one that screwed up the tip (and I am sure of the valve stem tip also) I am pretty much sold on the benefits of that little oil duct.

I have two other complete sets that were overhauled by Rocker Arms Unlimited but I am saving those for my 340 projects. This old rusty '65 convertible I am just trying to get running and moving again. (see foto)

View attachment 1715487635

If you want the oil hole you can just get it close to the other holes, center punch it and drill it out.

It's hard to tell but it looks like the rockers in the pictures have wear in the upper part of the rocker. There shouldn't be any load on the top side of the shaft.

Looks a bit weird.

If you need a replacement, I probably have one in the stash of rocker arms that I have. Let me know if there are any inset cast numbers or any other identifying marks & I'll take a look.

I can't find the factory hole, if it ever was there in the first place. I don't see any sign/evidence of an oil hole for that location on the inside (shaft) side of the rocker either. Not convinced it was a factory quality control issue yet, but it may have been.

Maybe if I treat it with some "Rogaine" first, it will come out of hiding (lol).

View attachment 1715487608

View attachment 1715487609

View attachment 1715487611
I don't like that wear on the top side of the bore for that rocker arm, either. There should be no wear on it, because there should be no pressure(load) in that area. I'd be looking at the shafts and maybe the bores of all the rockers, very closely. Maybe someone at some point had the shafts installed upside down.
you need not throw that rocker arm away, it can be fixed and bushed.

I have a few of these rockers if you need one or a few. I think I have 4-6 of them.
Looks to me that the hole was never drilled.

I don't like that wear on the top side of the bore for that rocker arm, either

Thanks gentlemen, but not to worry. What appears to be "wear" in the upper part of the rocker is just a spot that I wire brushed a little trying to find the hole that isn't there!

Yes, I was searching for the hole both inside the bore and outside on the arm.
ok, good. I can't see charging $13/ rocker to dress the tip. It literally takes just a minute for each rocker on my machine. You can probably do an acceptable job on a belt/disk sander machine, if you are careful, and make sure the table is 90deg from disk.

You can do a fine job on that rocker tip with a flat file.....or at least I could. It's not difficult. Just roll the file along the rounded face of the tip and you'll have a nice smooth surface again. As for the oiling hole, that's obviously what's wrong, since that's the only tip that's burned up. while it's true those holes don't do "much" a little is all they need and that's what those provide, just as designed.

You can do a fine job on that rocker tip with a flat file.....or at least I could. It's not difficult. Just roll the file along the rounded face of the tip and you'll have a nice smooth surface again. As for the oiling hole, that's obviously what's wrong, since that's the only tip that's burned up. while it's true those holes don't do "much" a little is all they need and that's what those provide, just as designed.
I agree with RRR about the oiling. When you watch the engine running with the v. covers off, the oil dribbles from the oiling hole, down the top of the rocker arm at idle and low speed. At higher speeds it flies all over, but some still gets on the rocker tip and the valve stem tip.

Over the years I have encountered rocker arm wear in the same spot. I have used a file or sanding flap disc to dress them up. No big deal.

Look what I found today in La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico (see foto). I went by to visit who they call "Mr. Mopar" here (real name Franisco Javier) who owns a '69 Charger as well as a Road Runner and a 'Cuda. Handed him a couple of rocker arms (one without the oil hole) and asked him to check them out. Once he found the problem, I asked him if by chance he had a spare rocker arm lying around. He said, "Let me see" and comes back a minute later with a shaft he took out of a '66 273. This shaft (pictured) has springs instead of spacers.

I asked him the whereabouts of the other shaft. He comes back a minute later with a set of aluminum roller-tip rockers. He said that's how he found the motor, with one set of stock rockers and one set of roller rockers installed on the same motor.

I asked if I could borrow his iron rockers so I could pick one out for my own replacement. I assured him sometime in the future I would find him another good rocker so he would still have a complete set. Miracles do happen?

I assume the rockers on Mr. Mopar's shaft are interchangeable with mine, but I will be making some measurements nonetheless.

DSC07186.jpg

DSC07187.jpg

They should interchange, just look to see if the rocker you want to replace has any markings & then see if any of the spares have the same markings. It really doesn't matter, as long as you get the car going again.

Thanks, but this '65 273 two-barrel (original?) won't be seeing 6000 RPM anytime soon.

P.S. Not to worry about the bungee cord battery hold down, I have take care of that since the foto was taken.

Valiant motor 273.JPG

-
Back