Exhaust manifold for 318 swap in 63 valiant

-

prorac1

Reaction score
I have a set of 68 A body 318 manifolds. Will these work on the drivers side? Or will the outlet pointing towards the outside of the car make head pipes a problem? Anybody with pics of these installed on an early A? Thanks again. Eric L

Drivers side exhaust manifold casting #2780945. Thanks. Eric L

FREE BUMP!! I'm sure someone has tried this before but you have to give the thread some time and many folks only come online once a week or so. Be patient and you'll get your answer. Do you have P/S?? Have you considered the early 340 driver's manifold (68/69)?? It's sleeker and a little thinner than the 70 340 driver?? You can see it here in the pics, it's the one that doesn't have the extra ribs.
PS - Also the "early A" section has lots of info about exhaust manifolds if you do a search.
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04022.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC04023.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC04024.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC04025.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC04026.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC04027.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC04028.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 159
Better off with the 318 manifold than the 340. The problem with the Early A is not clearance at the steering column, it's how the head pipe has to fit between the framerail and torsion bar. Early A manifolds are the same as the later ones except their dump point. Early manifolds point straight back, later ones down and outward.
A good exhaust guy can make the later manifold work, but it is a tricky, tight squeeze.

The later 318 manifolds were already on my 65 Dart when I bought it. That's about all I remember as that was 30 years ago. Shortly after I got the Dart, the 318 took a dump so swapped in a later slant which has it's own set of issues concerning the oil pan. When you're young(er) you made things work as there was virtually no info back in that day and time.

Thanks for all the input guys. No, I'm not running power steering, so that makes things a little easier. I'm waiting for a guy to come through with a set of 273 manifolds which should fix my problem. Thanks again for the confirmation guys, I appreciate it. Eric L

Thanks for all the input guys. No, I'm not running power steering, so that makes things a little easier. I'm waiting for a guy to come through with a set of 273 manifolds which should fix my problem. Thanks again for the confirmation guys, I appreciate it. Eric L

I have a good set of 273 early A manifolds available. I just took them off my 65 273 car. $100 plus the ride from 08610
offers on trades considered.....
Mike

-
Back