Exhaust Manifolds

-
By any chance do you have or remember the part number of your headers
Plus, if you buy them from Summit and they don't fit, Summit will take care of the return. That is what happened to me 30 years ago. I bought a pair of Headers from Summit (I really do not remember the brand for sure; might have been Hookers) and they absolutely did not fit. I think the flange on the passenger side was welded on at an incorrect angle at the factory. The driver side fit fine. but there was NO WAY the passenger side could ever fit. I called Summit and explained what was going on, and they took care of it. The Headman headers were about $50 cheaper and they cut me a check for that. I like Summit.

I bought a pair of '68 340 manifolds at Carlisle in 1995 for $175. That's about $350 in today's money. Given thirty years of diminishing supply, prices are right about where they should be. Stuff costs money.

They were reproducing 340 manifolds a while back but thought I read repops not being made anymore? If so thats gonna drive the price up.

I bought a pair of '68 340 manifolds at Carlisle in 1995 for $175. That's about $350 in today's money. Given thirty years of diminishing supply, prices are right about where they should be. Stuff costs money.
same here. i bought a set at the nats in 00 or 01 and forked over $275, and they had some repair work done. and i thought nothing of it, i was happy to pay and that was a great deal.

i sold a set two octobers ago at fall fling for $400 that needed some clean up from a repair and weren't mint but very decent. the guy buying damn near broke his arm reaching for his wallet.

Bought a mint set of 1969 castings about 4 years ago with functioning heat riser valve, mounting hardware and heat shield for $550 Cdn. I felt this was a good deal at the time.

Last edited:
Hey @toolmanmike .......

1706059328567.jpeg

A little off the original point... I have been curious for a while which if any factory 340 exhaust manifolds flow better. Or are they all pretty much the same.

A little off the original point... I have been curious for a while which if any factory 340 exhaust manifolds flow better. Or are they all pretty much the same.
I don't believe I have seen any flow results. Thinking about that, how would you flow them? All the ports at once would be the most accurate.

Yeah, I was just curious. I have a set of hooker headers I bought in the mid 70's on it now. Got some surface rust on them so I thought about pulling them and having them coated but the memory of installing them is still painfully etched in my brain. I figured for the cost and ease of install I may look into factory manifolds. I've always run a factory intake just because I'd read multiple articles back then stating none of the aftermarket stuff performed any better other than a 30 pound weight reduction.

Yeah, I was just curious. I have a set of hooker headers I bought in the mid 70's on it now. Got some surface rust on them so I thought about pulling them and having them coated but the memory of installing them is still painfully etched in my brain. I figured for the cost and ease of install I may look into factory manifolds. I've always run a factory intake just because I'd read multiple articles back then stating none of the aftermarket stuff performed any better other than a 30 pound weight reduction.
Headers can be a pain. If you have a stock or mild build and you aren't trying to squeeze the last ounce of power out of it, a pair of early 340 manifolds would work fine. There are also combinations of newer manifolds (like later model Jeeps with Magnum engine) that have larger outlets for more flow.

Here's a test article that may help. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m.../?galleryImageId=372317?galleryImageId=372317

To much money for what they are. Everyone thinks that because it's a 340 or 340 part that it's worth a gold mine
I agree and I’m with Dan on this. I’d also say no matter what test is out there saying how great they are, I’d only use 340 exhaust manifolds is if I had a set collecting dust on the floor.

The MP book suggests using one 340 manifold on one side and a Magnum manifold on the other side. At least the drivers 340 manifold will fit. The passenger side has plenty of room, IIRC correctly.

If manifolds are a must, the above is what I’d do but realistically I’d do headers. There just better all around.

Price any 340 part or car. Last pair of 340 exhaust manifolds I saw for sale were like $400
I swear I bought a pair of repops last year $600 ish? to replace some older ones that I had welded a crack on the lt one and had to remove what ever that stupid back pressure pos that was rattling on the rt. And I’d like to put it out there for all those guys that say you can’t weld cast iron u’d de wrong that’s why they are still in the box. Don’t hold me to the price, I buy a lot parts as god has blessed me with more projects than one guy deserves. The price of anything is subjective based on your discretionary income

Price any 340 part or car. Last pair of 340 exhaust manifolds I saw for sale were like $400
Must have been a long time ago. Three years ago, they were going for $700-$800. The aftermarket ones were going for around $500. If your car is not a "SHOW" car than headers work better with 2.5" pipe and Walkers Turbos mufflers. This is my set up in my van.

The early 340’s are supposed to be better. What’s the goal for the car?

The 69-70 manifolds are better than the 71+ manifolds. The passenger side 71+ exhaust manifold is less than 2 inches at its exit point.

The hp difference between 360 vs 340 manifolds to me aren't worth the swap.
But like everything it's up to the individual.

Glad I saved all my 318 stuff when I switched to a 340. Only thing I remember tossing was the 2bl intake. Still have my original 340 stuff though for a '71. Need a bigger garage. Tempted to dig out the 318 and rebuild it. Unmolested '67 block.

Glad I saved all my 318 stuff when I switched to a 340. Only thing I remember tossing was the 2bl intake. Still have my original 340 stuff though for a '71. Need a bigger garage. Tempted to dig out the 318 and rebuild it. Unmolested '67 block.
All the attaching items (external) are the same with the 318 as on the 340, except the motor mounts. Trucks and vans oil pans are also different, must be changed out during a swap.

Yup. I'm just glad I kept it all. It was all plentiful when I swapped it. Now what a pain to find.

-
Back