Exhaust (not headers or manifolds!) question

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
How different are the floorpans on the early As compared to the later ones? I was thinking of using this exhaust system

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680144/overview/make/dodge/model/dart

and modifying to fit. I already have tailpipes on the car so I'd either just use the section up to and including the mufflers and cut up the tailpipes to connect up with my manifolds or use the whole kit exhaust and cut up my current tailpipes to hook up with the manifolds.

Has anyone tried something similar?

This is for a '63 wagon btw

Early a-bodys are much tighter then later models and 2.5 is hard even for a correct fit kit. In fact the TTI 2.5 kit that I installed on a 66 Barracuda took a fair amount of work for clearance around most every thing at the front of the engine. HOWEVER most of the fit issues were around the transmission area and engine and clear after that. So maybe it will work.

Does anyone know how much tighter? In inside and outside frame width differences? I'm doing close to the same thing but with fenderwell headers for a 67 and up.

Tighter as around the engine, the TTI kit that I installed used the stock manifolds and the head pipes needed clearance around torsion bars, block, oil filter adapter and transmission pan. It also must have the transmission crossmember cut for dual exhaust which is not very hard to do, about 2 hours to cut and weld for second pipe.

With headers you start at a different location.

If I had to do again might use the Hi-Po single exhaust, it has smaller pipes from the engine.

The later 67 size seems to have the front wheels farther forward compared to the motor position. I faintly remember fitting a later header and finding the bends were about 2 inches 'off' where the idler arm was. I cant confirm that now though.

Like everyone is telling you, the engine bay to past the transmission is the tightest especially with 2.5" tubing. I used a Jegs kit for '67-up A bodies and modified to suit. Hanging the passenger side muffler was interesting because the back seat foot well has no relief for the exhaust pipe routing and routing the tail pipes over the rear end and out to the bumper was a bit tight. I ran mine just inside the sub frame rails and, looking back, might have been less hassle running them outside the rails. With this kit I did get mufflers that drone a bit at certain speeds. Other than that it sounds great, nice and throaty at most cruise speeds and just enough growl under...... ummmmmmm..... "spirited" driving to be noticed.

Bob

Hello to my Mopar friends. I am currently working on one of my 1970 Darts. It's a 318 with a 4 speed and will eventually get a stroker small block. My question is about headers. Has anyone used the Dougs Headers, D453 ceramic coated? Or the TTI headers? If so, have you had any fit/fitment issues? Also, any issues with the stock Z bar? I am going to buy a set of headers and were considering these brands. What are your thoughts?

Thank You,

Clayton

-
Back