exhaust questions

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
As of right now I have flow master 40 series mufflers on my duster and the drone has taken its toll on me. They sound bad *** at full throttle. And at idle but I can't hear my self think Sometimes .These are on my 410 stroker .my 1st question is what's an ALTERNATIVE MUFFLER THAT FLOWS WELL AND HAS VERY GOOD SOUND???. And my second thing is I have 3inch x pipe on the car dumped at the axle. Would exiting pipes all the way out the back be possible w/ 3inch? And is there any hp loss when doing this . . Thanks guys

As of right now I have flow master 40 series mufflers on my duster and the drone has taken its toll on me. They sound bad *** at full throttle. And at idle but I can't hear my self think Sometimes .These are on my 410 stroker .my 1st question is what's an ALTERNATIVE MUFFLER THAT FLOWS WELL AND HAS VERY GOOD SOUND???. And my second thing is I have 3inch x pipe on the car dumped at the axle. Would exiting pipes all the way out the back be possible w/ 3inch? And is there any hp loss when doing this . . Thanks guys

I built 600 horse 92 g m c short wide, had the exh. ran from my flowmaster(3") out to behind the rear wheels like some of the older camaros had. the minute I started it to back it out of the muffler mans stall, I could feel the diff. could really tell it when I got in it, made about 3/10`s diff. needless to say, I pulled them off, dumped the exh. straight:coffee2: out w/ long turn 90`s pointed at the ground in front of the rear tires.
I still have the dual tailpipes I pulled off in the barn,if anyone wants them!
sellum cheap plus freight.-----------------------------bob

I love the sound of Flowmaster but they are one of the worse flowing mufflers out there. Running the exhaust all the way back will kill some of the sound. A straight through muffler like the Dynomax Ultraflows will flow better.

I'm running Flowtech Warlocks on my Dart, and I love the sound of them. They're not too loud at idle, even with an 11:1 stroker with a big cam in front of it, and they have a really good sound when you hammer it.

Plus they have a built in cutout plug that makes it a straight through pipe.

I have a video of my car running in my build thread (below) with the Dynomax Ultraflos. I love them, and I don't get that ridiculous Flowmaster drone.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDKgj7RKcQE"]1970 Dart driving around 2 - YouTube[/ame]

This is inside mine last year while I was screwing around a little bit. I get on it just a bit at the end.

3 inch exhaust pipe for the Duster can be done. Fitment may be an issue with moves in springs. The HP loss is worth a sane unrattled brain IMO
Mufflers under the car are always loud. You could move a muffler to the rear at the tail pipes exit via a bullet style muffler or a Super Trapp. This moving of the muffler also move the source of the sound away. Insulate the trunk divider, package tray, and wheel well areas from the package tray height down to the floor as low as possible.
Create a sound barrier wall.

I have Pype Street Pros on my car Stock manifolds 2.5", X pipe to the bumper. Its pretty quite.

I've got the same combo on my Suburban, it does rattle the brain, run full exhaust and see how you like it.

with a straight tru muffler and tail pipes i dont think youd lose any power.i second the ultraflow suggestion.

Hey guys found this video on YouTube and this is the sound I'm looking for I think it sounds soo sick at idle
Just really over these flowmasters lol
[ame]http://youtu.be/L_osejjaYwY[/ame]

Think dyno max ultra flows are my next move they sound bad ***,
But seems like a couple different option. Do I go with ultraflow x
Ultraflow welded? Seems like welded is louder according to dynomax website

I did a little research on this and with 3 inch pipes to the mufflers and (get this) 2 1/4!! tail pipes there was no loss of power. This was on a 455 pontiac this was confirmed by comparing 1/4 miles times and trap speed. Mufflers and crossovers had about a 2 mph difference between best and worst. I will try and find a link and post it.

ultra flow all the way ! I called dynomax when i was deciding on a muffler change, the rep said all ultra flows sound the same. Accoring to him the only difference was the case and finish ... i went with the s/s welded, polished were out of stock !

Use Dynomax Ultraflo's, or Thrush Glass Packs....but make the exhaust exit at little bit out from the rear bumper.....Problem will be solved.

I've a 72 Duster myself, a 408 stroker, lots of play-parts on there, dyno'd 543 hp / 572 tq. TTI headers, 2.5" exhaust with an X pipe...etc...etc. I've been running Flowmaster 40s dumped at the axle for about 2 years. They're louder than hell dumped like that, stunk the car full of exhaust if the windows are open.... sounds like a drag car. It's a long story and don't drive the car that much anyway, so I tolerated it. Can we say DRONE... nuff said. This was not what I wanted, nor have I ever cared for the Flowmaster chambered sound that much, although I do recall when the tailpipes were on there (when I first got the project 3 yrs ago), it didn't sound that 'bad'..... juss not my thing. They came with the project car so I hung with them until yesterday.

Yesterday I finally installed a set of Dynomax Ultraflo Welded on there (pn: 17219). I've read & heard a lot about them, so I thought I'd give them a shake. The tailpipes go over the axle (2.5" pipe) dumped behind the tires. Holy crap... now THAT is a sweet sound of performance, not loud inside the car "at all", just a nice rhythmic muffled rumble...BUT step behind the car and you're met with PLENTY of mother-thumpy-rumble back there!:shock: Sounds like a really hot muscle car from back in the day, just great. Actually they sound spooky-close to the Flowmasters without that annoying metal-can sound. The Ultraflo's are much deeper, more rounded rumble sound. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for loud, just not aaaall the time... and I'm not trashing the Flowmaster lovers where ever they may be.

Further - What I did not expect at all was the 'dramatic' increase in power and throttle response these muffs have made. It pulls a LOT harder than it ever has... which was very unexpected as it's always pulled great. I had heard/read that the Flowmaster's chambered design is a power robber, but I thought it was BS. HA! Those 40's were choking-back a lot of power... yes I'm very surprised. I've even had to adjust the fuel/air screws to get the idle back in-line...as it went sideways with the new muffs, plus the engine starts easier now too. Crazy crap from just changing muffs.... what can I say. :D Oh.. and the sound this thing makes NOW between 4000 at 6400 is in a word... "exquisite!" I've also realized I can now finish the install I began 2 years ago of my new stereo/CD unit, now that I can finally hear it. :cheers:

SO... I've a set of Flowmaster 40s with about 2300 miles on them if anyone needs a couple door stops, ha, ha...

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Duster 72.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 342
Further - What I did not expect at all was the 'dramatic' increase in power and throttle response these muffs have made. It pulls a LOT harder than it ever has... which was very unexpected as it's always pulled great. I had heard/read that the Flowmaster's chambered design is a power robber, but I thought it was BS. HA! Those 40's were choking-back a lot of power... yes I'm very surprised. I've even had to adjust the fuel/air screws to get the idle back in-line...as it went sideways with the new muffs, plus the engine starts easier now too. Crazy crap from just changing muffs.... what can I say. :D Oh.. and the sound this thing makes NOW between 4000 at 6400 is in a word... "exquisite!" I've also realized I can now finish the install I began 2 years ago of my new stereo/CD unit, now that I can finally hear it. :cheers:

boy am i glad somebody else noticed the same thing as me ! i switched from turbo's to ultra flo's and felt a difference on the first test drive ... thought i was going nuts !

ultraflo all the way.
I have hedmann 17/8" fenderwell headers 3" pipes to x-pipe to 3" ultraflo welded mufflers with turns downs before rear end.
absolutely NO DRONE when cruising. quite at idle.
that's with a car that runs low 11's all day long on motor.

I was reading your post about drone. I had really bad drone in my 67 GTS 383 and tried a number of things until I killed it. If you like your current mufflers except for the drone just put branch resonators on which will kill the drone. They are not in the flow of the exhaust.
You have to make the branch resonator installing it yourself of you could have a muffler shop make and install it. You have to first know the frequendy of the drone. You can calculated it but I just measured it with an app for my Andriod phone called FrequenSee - Spectrum Analyzer. Then instead of using an equations to calculate the size of length of the pipe I used this site http://www.diracdelta.co.uk/science/...be/source.html . You have to have a flat cap/end on the end of the resonator. It won't work if you crimp it down and weld it. A muffler shop tried that for a guy and it didnt' work.

Look at this post, http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...0&postcount=68 , to see where I put my resonators on my 67 GTS. If you look at the rest of the thread you can see my plots showing the drone frequency and my journey trying different mufflers and finally installing the branch resonators.

-
Back