external oiling system, why?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Can someone breakdown just what makes an external oils system better that the factory deaign? I dont understand how its better at hight rpm, it still uses a factory style pump correct?

what are the pros and cons to one of these systems?

Thanks for the time and advice.

Never had one, but from what I understand in some buids its a need, when you go to a larger stroker the counter weights on the crank will hit the internal pickup. Also it improves oil flow to the pump, as well as more volume and pressure. That's what's needed at higher rpms. But I know many engines that hit the 6500-7000 mark with a regular oil system, my friend shifts his 347 sbf at 7600 with internal oiling

So with an external system there's no screened pick up in the pan?

And if the external system uses a factory style pump just how dose it improve volume and pressure?

External oiling by passes the small restrictive internal oil passage in the block. You would now be pulling oil through a large or two large steel braided lines depended if you run single or dual pickup.

So single or dual pick up is detemened by the plate, correct?

is there still a filtered pick up in the pan?

The part i referenced is not a dry sump, correct?

Not a dry sump that has a external oil tank. This is still a wet sump.
It has a screen on the pickup.
This system is generally used with a long rotor pump and a large oil pans
for higher than stock rpm engines that need more than stock oil capacity.
Racing rpms can empty a stock pan and all the oil would be up top rather
than covering the pickup.
Old system that goes back to 1969 with Lee Smith and Milodon for super stock and
the new Prostock class. Works well but not for ground clearance. That's where the drysumps
come into play.

Thanks SSBA.

so this brings me back to my restricting oil to the cam post.

I want oil to fall as fast as gravity will let it back to the pan. This means drilling holes next to the lifters, chamfering the holes and main drains and covering the main drains with screen to get the oil to take the most direct route back to the pan, correct?

Thanks SSBA.

so this brings me back to my restricting oil to the cam post.

I want oil to fall as fast as gravity will let it back to the pan. This means drilling holes next to the lifters, chamfering the holes and main drains and covering the main drains with screen to get the oil to take the most direct route back to the pan, correct?

that valley work is about a waste of time . screens will catch broken parts and keep them out of the pan. drilling holes in that area ain`t worth the effort.

Good aftermarket blocks have the lifter galley blocked off. You then drill and port around the distributor area and cut holes to drain into the timing cover or into the precut channels in a Webber belt drive. Oil dumping on a crank and rods at rpm does not just fall to the pan. Rather slung around eventually ripping the crank and foaming robbing hp.

If you have to ask why run an external pump maybe it's not for you.

With external pump you can easily change the speed of the pump. Adjust the pressure. And you are not pulling on the rear of a camshaft proven to twist in engines. And like mentioned, no hard turn limiting oil flow in the block.

I add a few extra drain back holes in mine. These are street engines that sometimes race rather than sustained or high rpm race engines. It's my opinion that while it does put some oil on the crank, it also means more gets flung onto the camshaft at low rpm and I do other things in conjunction with the extra holes. Some examples are I increase top end oiling, I run street type pans (shallow), and I run some form of windage control on everything.

-
Back