EZ wiring harness for a 66 Dart

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Has anybody installed the EZ wiring harness in their 1966 Dart/Valiant/Cuda?How easy was the install and do you like their setup?Any help would be appreaciated.Thanks

Slantscamp redid the wiring in his wagon,first gen A body cant remember the year or the brand he used. Sorry! Maybe he'll chime in..

Has anybody installed the EZ wiring harness in their 1966 Dart/Valiant/Cuda?How easy was the install and do you like their setup?Any help would be appreaciated.Thanks

Haven't done one in a 66, but I just got done doing an EZ harness in my 74 duster. The harness is set up for a GM car "go figure" but it was very easy to get it to work with my car. I cant give you a good time frame due to the fact that I have also been remodeling our house. If i had to guess it took maybe 3 days of work. I am very impressed with the quality of the product. I'm sure a painless or Ron Francis kit would be easier to install due to the fact they have the correct connectors on them. But the price of an EZ wire kit made my decision for me. I went with the MINI 20 kit.

Haven't done one in a 66, but I just got done doing an EZ harness in my 74 duster. The harness is set up for a GM car "go figure" but it was very easy to get it to work with my car. I cant give you a good time frame due to the fact that I have also been remodeling our house. If i had to guess it took maybe 3 days of work. I am very impressed with the quality of the product. I'm sure a painless or Ron Francis kit would be easier to install due to the fact they have the correct connectors on them. But the price of an EZ wire kit made my decision for me. I went with the MINI 20 kit.
Thanks for responding,did the EZ wire kit come with the plugs to fit everything?igni,wipers,h.light switch,etc.etc.3 days to install?:clock:

Thanks for responding,did the EZ wire kit come with the plugs to fit everything?igni,wipers,h.light switch,etc.etc.3 days to install?:clock:

It basically comes with no connectors. A few of the wires such as the ones on the steering column wires had the GM terminals on them. I had to cut them all off and put new ones on to adapt to my car. It does not come with any wiper wiring except a power wire. For the existing lights I just soldered on at the bulb holder. The EZ harness is for sure more labor intensive, but then again for the price what the heck.
Buy 3 days I meant like 3 eight hour days

all after market wire kits,,are based on GM,, except ron francis,,,,

some kits are old style GM fuse blocks,and use GM color codeing,,,
i belive all of them now offer a mopar wiring diagram,,if you ask for it when you order,, if you order it from a mail order house,, the wire company may be able to e mail you a diagram,,

they most all offer there kits with a universal ignition switch, and head lite switch,, none of them offer any type of wind shield wiper wiring or switch,,at least none were when i was researching this hole thing,,,( on the back burner at the moment )

they will all tell you they can not get the mopar plugs,,,,the reason is,,,mopar will not allow you to reproduce any thing with out paying royaltys..GM has always allowed reproducing of there stuff,,,or at leat at a lesser cost then mopar,,

so you will have to either go to all new switches,,or get the correct tool to take your old plugs apart,,,get new correct wire ends for your mopar plugs and do it that way,,, i believe NAPA has the wire terminals,,

RON FRANCIS wirig kit is more mopar friendly,,and the first after market kit to be mopar friendly,, and i belive he has some,but not all mopar plugs,,

ron francis has 2 different type head lite switches,,i believe one will except your mopar head lite switch button or the complete rod,,been a while since i dug in to all this,,

most all kits are 1 wire altenator friendly,,not external voltage regulator friendly,,, ron francis offers both,,,other may offer a diagram for that by now,,,make sure you ask for a moar wireing diagram,,

you can get a beautiful color coded wireing diagram inexpensive thru classicwiring.com

justy my 2 cents

Just to add

The Ez harness are GM color coding and they did come with Mopar instructions, although they did not match up to well. It wasn't to bad to figure out thanks to the guys on here

all after market wire kits,,are based on GM,, except ron francis,,,,

some kits are old style GM fuse blocks,and use GM color codeing,,,
i belive all of them now offer a mopar wiring diagram,,if you ask for it when you order,, if you order it from a mail order house,, the wire company may be able to e mail you a diagram,,

they most all offer there kits with a universal ignition switch, and head lite switch,, none of them offer any type of wind shield wiper wiring or switch,,at least none were when i was researching this hole thing,,,( on the back burner at the moment )

they will all tell you they can not get the mopar plugs,,,,the reason is,,,mopar will not allow you to reproduce any thing with out paying royaltys..GM has always allowed reproducing of there stuff,,,or at leat at a lesser cost then mopar,,

so you will have to either go to all new switches,,or get the correct tool to take your old plugs apart,,,get new correct wire ends for your mopar plugs and do it that way,,, i believe NAPA has the wire terminals,,

RON FRANCIS wirig kit is more mopar friendly,,and the first after market kit to be mopar friendly,, and i belive he has some,but not all mopar plugs,,

ron francis has 2 different type head lite switches,,i believe one will except your mopar head lite switch button or the complete rod,,been a while since i dug in to all this,,

most all kits are 1 wire altenator friendly,,not external voltage regulator friendly,,, ron francis offers both,,,other may offer a diagram for that by now,,,make sure you ask for a moar wireing diagram,,

you can get a beautiful color coded wireing diagram inexpensive thru classicwiring.com

justy my 2 cents

i put an american auto wire highway 22 kit in my dart. ok so maybe its designed for a gm style alt and turn signal switch... who the hell cares? its so damn easy to to wire in a mopar charging system and the mopar ign system and even the mopar ign switch. it sure isn't rocket science thats for sure. all the basic wiring isn't much different between brands. all ya have to do is rebuild a few mopar specific connectors but thats cheap and easy. if ya can't do something so simple you should be trying to wire a car in the first place.

question i have for these easy wire users is, does the ez wire kit come with the stuff to rebuild the light sockets or are you guys just cutting and spicing the wire before the connectors? and how about the headlight sockets? does it come with new sockets or are you using all your old stuff?

i put an american auto wire highway 22 kit in my dart. ok so maybe its designed for a gm style alt and turn signal switch... who the hell cares? its so damn easy to to wire in a mopar charging system and the mopar ign system and even the mopar ign switch. it sure isn't rocket science thats for sure. all the basic wiring isn't much different between brands. all ya have to do is rebuild a few mopar specific connectors but thats cheap and easy. if ya can't do something so simple you should be trying to wire a car in the first place.

question i have for these easy wire users is, does the ez wire kit come with the stuff to rebuild the light sockets or are you guys just cutting and spicing the wire before the connectors? and how about the headlight sockets? does it come with new sockets or are you using all your old stuff?

joe last i seen all the head lite and tail lite plugs and sockets were available at a good auto parts store in the help section,,,i have a box of all that stuff new

It comes with the headlight plugs and thats it. I just cut and solder spliced into my existing sockets.

The EZ wire kit is bare bones. You get a fuse block , all the wiring , some GM connector stuff, headlight sockets, fuseable link, zip ties and some alternator connecting options (wiring for 1 wire and wiring for hi amp alternators).

joe last i seen all the head lite and tail lite plugs and sockets were available at a good auto parts store in the help section,,,i have a box of all that stuff new

so what your (not you in general) gonna buy a socket from the store with a short pig tail on it and splice it in? thats a lame *** way of doing it if ya ask me..

you use the old wire inside the socket? or you solider new wire all the way to the light in the socket?

I used the old wire. I know its not the "right way" to do it. I left my self extra wire so that I can rebuild the socket when I get some extra money. Maybe that will be my Christmas gift request.

yea man get that old wire out of there. have to be able to get those little ends for the socket wire somewhere. it will make a difference believe it or not. not sure on the ez wire but i know the AAW kit i used had larger then stock wire everywhere which is nice.

i also got ride of those crappy mopar connectors where the lights unplug and went with weather pack connectors. a lot nicer connectors man..

before..

DSC_9319.jpg

after

DSC_9322.jpg

DSC_9324-1.jpg

so what your (not you in general) gonna buy a socket from the store with a short pig tail on it and splice it in? thats a lame *** way of doing it if ya ask me..

i bought these plus and sockets many years before any after market wiring kit was available,,,they are replacement parts,,, i donot know for sure,,but i would think none of the kits have the socket or plugs attached,,,all will have to be soldered,, at some point together, weather you use old or new sockets with a new wire harness,,,

i bought these plus and sockets many years before any after market wiring kit was available,,,they are replacement parts,,, i donot know for sure,,but i would think none of the kits have the socket or plugs attached,,,all will have to be soldered,, at some point together, weather you use old or new sockets with a new wire harness,,,

your not understanding what i'm asking. forget it man.

-
Back