F.a.s.t. MIR

-
I have set it aside for the moment. It really needs a “turtle” of some sort. Recently I saw a high dollar, big name intake with a “turtle” the shape I have been leaning towards. I might be able to get back to it this winter and get the “turtle” in it. I’m losing too much velocity. Its not a door stop yet. :) I did run it it. Launched the same, but soft from then on. Didn’t smoke, idled fine. Lost .2 et and 4 mph.

Well 4:10's are setup and installed. Did a little extra work to this carb. Will be hard to tell if it picks up or not assuming the air is going to be better than MIR. Hopefully it doesn't go slower!

Well, this WAS the pairing of the weekend’s TNT. I’m happy to report Brian came out on top running a 10.666 with the Duster. The Chevy is a small block car, still in process. Looking forward to more races between them after the Chevy combination is more settled/sorted.

E9974CA1-DF7B-43FB-A368-A167DE90FF98.jpeg

27CE8798-E28F-4AC3-B314-3246D3894A59.jpeg

Greg's car is a little too close for comfort. Duster is coming apart this winter and we need to find some hp and weight. Dwayne, whatcha doing this winter?

I guess I'm not really expecting an "out in the open" answer. But, I'm curious about tricks you F.A.S.T. guys use in your transmission. Pro-flite stuff? Low gear sets? I have a somewhat local guy starting to mess around with this type of deal. I'm freshening his trans and I have some questions. Appreciate any input. PM me if necessary. Thanks a lot F.A.S.T. guys!!

Mine isn't anything too special. 904, rollerized, low gear set, billet valve body, some lightening but no aluminum drums. Converter is where you need to spend time and money on.

Mine isn't anything too special. 904, rollerized, low gear set, billet valve body, some lightening but no aluminum drums. Converter is where you need to spend time and money on.
Appreciate the reply. This is in a 65 B-Body. Big inch 440 with 727. Has good parts such as, 904 low gear set(rollered), lightened sun shell, super sprag, rigid red band. I was wondering if the low gear would be too low? Unsure of convertor. This is a bracket car that he wants to try the F.A.S.T. concept with the bias tires. I kinda figured with anything it's gonna be about shocks and convertor.

Last edited:
Low gear set is advertised as helping “lower or moderate powered. heavy car launch.” Honestly, FAST motors are “under” performing for what is done to them, due to the use of stock castings as a starting point. I’m putting together a 904 this winter. Nothing special. Take care of the weak parts and get 5 clutches in the drum. RMVB. The converter is where they are pretty different from a typical race converter. My data shows mine flashes to 3340 rpm. The motor makes its best power at 4800 rpm. Pretty tight compared to a typical “race” converter, you need to balance as much flash as we can use without knocking the tire off. With the power I’m making I think I can use about 500 more flash. I know a B body 451 with the same converter I’m running that is making a bit more power/flashes higher and cleans my clock in the first 100’.

Low gear set is advertised as helping “lower or moderate powered. heavy car launch.” Honestly, FAST motors are “under” performing for what is done to them, due to the use of stock castings as a starting point. I’m putting together a 904 this winter. Nothing special. Take care of the weak parts and get 5 clutches in the drum. RMVB. The converter is where they are pretty different from a typical race converter. My data shows mine flashes to 3340 rpm. The motor makes its best power at 4800 rpm. Pretty tight compared to a typical “race” converter, you need to balance as much flash as we can use without knocking the tire off. With the power I’m making I think I can use about 500 more flash. I know a B body 451 with the same converter I’m running that is making a bit more power/flashes higher and cleans my clock in the first 100’.
I was wondering if a "tighter" convertor was part of the equation. Thanks for the input.

It's that time of year to go and chase the numbers at Mopar Eastern Classis @ MIR. Oct 22-23.

I plan on taking the Duster out and see if I can't better the number some. Getting the car ready to go which means it is all apart again... Bunch of little changes that probably won't add up to much but the car showed me some good numbers last time out that has me hopeful for better numbers in good air. It went 10.91@123 in 3700ft air and a so so track. Hoping for some mineshaft air!!

View attachment 1715802766

View attachment 1715802768
What does she weigh?

What does she weigh?

Too much. Acquired some parts to work on to see if I can get some more out of it. The rules make it difficult to get too much weight out of it. All steel body panels and bumpers, full interior, all cast iron motor, stock suspension, stock wheels and tires. On top of that it has 2x3 frame connectors and a roll bar, driveshaft loop, etc.

I would recommend a salad, but you have no fat on you now.

Too much. Acquired some parts to work on to see if I can get some more out of it. The rules make it difficult to get too much weight out of it. All steel body panels and bumpers, full interior, all cast iron motor, stock suspension, stock wheels and tires. On top of that it has 2x3 frame connectors and a roll bar, driveshaft loop, etc.

Pull the engine apart and start grinding on the block and heads. I have heard some unbelievable weight reduction achievements from this.
Move battery to the trunk inside wheel well and mount an empty casing upfront. Lol I did this in the 90's on a 340 4sp Dart Sport that I wanted looking pure stock. And I had an LD340 with Chrysler part # that I painted orange... also used an OD trany and 4.10s. That car could dip into the 12's and I drove it from Boise Id to Brainerd MN to race a muscle car challenge.

Oh yeah.. this was with an old Carter carb I grabbed off the shelf and just blew the dust off of... no jetting .
I assumed the tech guys would know it didnt come with a holley. I was wrong..lol

There has been some lightening work done on the block, but it is still 60?ish pounds heavier than a factory block. I got all the negatives and none of the positives with the resto block.. lol. The battery was in the trunk until I realized the benefit of lithium battery's. It was 18lbs of wiring and cutoff switch removed from the car putting a lithium inside the factory case...

-
Back