F-CK Paypal

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
"Protection you need, peace of mind you deserve
Keeping your financial information secure is absolutely essential when buying online. Whether it's ecommerce, sending money or buying with debit and credit cards online, trust PayPal to help keep your transactions secure." Paypal website

If someone gets your ebay info, your f*cked.

These guys are not your pals. I need to vent:

Wife informed me this morning that $200 was taken from the checking account to cover an Ebay purchase, I told her I didnt buy anything. I go into paypal and Im down to 0.00 balance from $293 24 hours ago so I open Ebay and look at transaction record. Oh, a purchase was made at 6:00 PM thursday for a $500 gift card. I look in my email and nothing, it went straight to my deleted email box (?) so I call ebay Friday morning 7:45 AM and tell them I was hacked. The guy was nice, "Oh, I do see the transaction and it does NOT look like your buying pattern" Assuming he sees something out of the ordinary. He says paypal did the the transaction so open a claim with them but after we reset your passwords (which I did already). So this guy saw something wrong with the transaction so I felt like we were making some progress. I tell him it was odd that the card was sold thursday (yesterday) transaction showed up at 6:00 PM yet the tracking already showed it at the local mail handling facility....Did he hand deliver it to the facility after 6:00 that night? I contact the bank and tell them to freeze the $200 checking account deduction at 7:30 AM friday, they tell me they will need to see it post then they will dispute it or some horse ****. Why could they just not freeze it? So I call paypal and open a dispute telling them the transaction was unauthorized. They give me a case number and it sounds like its routine. So I get the mail today and sure enough the card is in the mail and I dont open it. So this thing gets from Glendale to me in 18 hours after he puts it in the mail after 6pm the night before? Wow! I email the seller and explain I didnt buy the card, my account was hacked and Id like to return it. He gets back and says "I checked the card balance is zero now. Worth nothing to me...sorry. I tell him how's that possible if only 1 person knew the number (you checked it) as I have yet to open the sealed envelope and no one has used the card? He got back and said "Ebay has ruled in his favor, legit transaction" and to stop correspondence with your account as it has been compromised, sorry. So I log back into paypal and I see the dispute has been closed....at 10:30 AM "We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because this transaction was not unauthorized."
Well bend me forward....I didnt even get the card in the mail until 3:30 PM!!!! So I ask the ebay guy again, "so the guy sells me a zero balance card (with no time to even use it), can I get buyer protection" Well, if you didn't contact paypal, we could work with you on that (no, according to the fine print) but since it was disputed outside ebay (called paypal) we cannot honor that protection. YOU TOLD ME TO ******* OPEN A DISPUTE WITH PAYPAL!!! I just hope B of A stops that $200 withdrawl, that's my only hope to lose only $283 and not $483.

Lessons learned.
Dont have ebay auto log into paypal (always logged in?)
Dont carry a paypal balance..
Dont link your paypal to a checking account that can be dipped into by paypal..
DONT F'N USE PAYPAL (unless its absolutely necessary)
Dont buy a prepaid card (gift card) seems they are NOT under the buyer protection, EVEN IF YOU DIDNT AUTHORIZE THE TRANSACTION.

that's bullshit. I would be irate.

my PayPal is always at zero.
but my question is, if you have a credit card linked to your PayPal account and some random seller that you've previously bought from decides to run a fraudulent transaction and take money off it again , is there any recourse, or should the CC be removed too???

@Bulldozer I'd remove that **** ASAP. Imagine if the con man got me for a $2500 gift card, $283 out of the paypal and -2227 ouf of my checking account or credit card? Credit card has built in protections but do you want to go through the hassle of unraveling that? Jeez, this sucks. I just called Nordstroms (gift card) and asked them if they could tell me where the card was used....BINGO! The card was bought (loaded) at Glendale, CA store *** on Jan 8 2020 at 9:51 PM, used in a store 14 hours later in Peabody, Mass 11:46 AM (east coast time) Jan 9, and sold on Ebay to me same day Jan 9 at 6:00 PM Pacific time. So the guy sold me a card that was empty for 10 hours. Ill tell this to ebay and paypal and then Ill see the douche in small claims court. Glendale is only 45 minutes away. If I "purchased" a $500 card, I'm gonna get one.

Yea, I'm having some trouble very similar to the op.

I need to post a want ad but I'm not sure about money orders and the bs involved with all that.

@Bulldozer I'd remove that **** ASAP. Imagine if the con man got me for a $2500 gift card, $283 out of the paypal and -2227 ouf of my checking account or credit card? Credit card has built in protections but do you want to go through the hassle of unraveling that? Jeez, this sucks. I just called Nordstroms (gift card) and asked them if they could tell me where the card was used....BINGO! The card was bought (loaded) at Glendale, CA store *** on Jan 8 2020 at 9:51 PM, used in a store 14 hours later in Peabody, Mass 11:46 AM (east coast time) Jan 9, and sold on Ebay to me same day Jan 9 at 6:00 PM Pacific time. So the guy sold me a card that was empty for 10 hours. Ill tell this to ebay and paypal and then Ill see the douche in small claims court. Glendale is only 45 minutes away. If I "purchased" a $500 card, I'm gonna get one.
Good Luck with your claim.
The one time that I had a Pay Pal issue the claim was marked as being settled in favor of the other person, the person that opened the claim, as I had not yet submitted any evidence to counter his claim. It took about two weeks but eventually the original decision was reversed and my counter claim was upheld. So perhaps follow up with them again. You know we are all rooting for you.

Damn... That sucks...

I have a separate account that I use for Paypal and only put money in it when I make a transaction... I keep it under $20 so if they do try to hack it, they can't get much...

Shouldn't the stores have some security video that can show who purchased the card and who spent the money on it??? Maybe the police can get that information....

This is one of the reasons I only accept US Postal Money orders for the parts I sell. Not only do they pick both parties pockets but they open you up to other problems like what you just experienced. They are just another parasitic banking organization .

This is one of the reasons I only accept US Postal Money orders for the parts I sell. Not only do they pick both parties pockets but they open you up to other problems like what you just experienced. They are just another parasitic banking organization .

The problem here is : he left the password active , as signed in all the time. NEVER DO THAT WITH ANYTHING , MONEY WISE !!!

17 years on both eBay and PayPal they always make it right.
I’ve had numerous problems and they may take a little time, but always have made it right For the buyer and the seller.
I sold a set of Trans Am heads with rockers, and I was clear on the fact they had been milled an unknown amount. A month later my PayPal account was 1700 in the hole I was pissed.
It was over the milled amount, which his machine shop says it was .040-.050 I called bs, what does it matter, there beautiful and will finish your restoration. Plus it looked like .020 as there was still a good portion of the open chamber. whatever I sold them again.

That is good that you were able to track the history of that gift card. Gives a guy bit of a clue as to what really happen. You can still trash the ebay seller on his feed back ratings on ebay to slow him down and let others know he is a thief.

The problem here is : he left the password active , as signed in all the time. NEVER DO THAT WITH ANYTHING , MONEY WISE !!!
Yes, maybe poor judgement but that mechanism was only initiated by me last week. Never had an issue in 20 years except a $100 charge at a smoke shop that was reversed in a matter of hours so that one happened way before I setup the "always logged in" service. They emailed me and said "suspicious activity detected", just like this most recent case...and then they tell me that it was NOT an unauthorized transaction per their 2 hour investigation. Hundreds of cases like this on ebay/paypal forums.

sorry for your grief , but thanks for the warning , i just removed my bank account and changed my password and took auto log off my pp account . Good luck !

I went ahead and drained the card down to 20 bucks just to keep it active. I have a separate account to transfer funds back over when I go to purchase something or send money. if someone tries to run a transaction over 20 bucks it will be declined.
now that you know exactly the who what when where , I hope that eBay and PayPal make it right. I have only had one issue in 10 years with eBay and they made it right within 10 days.

Pishta, sorry you got crapped on. Internet predators deserve the same thing sexual predators should get - drug out behind the barn for a "can't-misunderstand-it" lesson concerning their behavior.

Lots of good advice here. I've always been careful where I leave my CC info, and if possible I enter it each time. I don't have the site auto-remember it for me. My card just updated with a new expiration date so now I can be even more careful moving forward. I like the idea of setting up extra account to link to PP and keeping the balance low. Put money in when I want to buy, take money out when I get paid for something. Also, I use a credit card for just about all purchases so I have the ability to dispute this kind of garbage. Nothing links to my checking account and nobody has access to the account to take out a monthly payment. I send them a check.

Something to consider if your institution supports it, is use two-factor authentication. I have it set up on any account involving money. Yes, it's a PITA but better safe than sorry.

I had a problem years ago with PayPal and lost a bunch of money, but most of all seem to just want to deal with PayPal and not postal money orders. I only take postal money orders for payment. I don’t know another Safer way to do a transaction.

Yea, I'm having some trouble very similar to the op.

I need to post a want ad but I'm not sure about money orders and the bs involved with all that.

money order saved my *** for $400 once. Guy cashed it and never sent the goods. He told me his roommate stole it and cashed it. We got the fax of the cashed MO signature and it didnt match the guys signature that he submitted. USPS refunded me the entire amount. Whole thing took me 45 days but I got it back. Difference is he worked with me, this Ebay guy has cut ties with me on recommendation of Ebay.

Bank credited my account $200, Im on the way back to recovery......I got enough proof to take this guy to court and win (may come to that) but I hope paypal hears me out and looks at my documentation. Dates, times, activity on card, etc.
Any one ever go to small claims court? How do you collect a judgement? My sis got hit 30 years ago and got a judgement for $1500 but could never collect it as the guy claimed he was broke and unemployed

I got jacked once on E-bay, had PP linked to my credit card.

Got a notification from E-bay thanks for the purchase of the gift card....

Called PP they said suck sand, the payment was sent as a gift.
CC company basically said the same thing.

E-bay on the other hand took this very seriously, now if I buy anything off them, they e-mail a pass word to purchase.

I got jacked once on E-bay, had PP linked to my credit card.

Got a notification from E-bay thanks for the purchase of the gift card....

Called PP they said suck sand, the payment was sent as a gift.
CC company basically said the same thing.

E-bay on the other hand took this very seriously, now if I buy anything off them, they e-mail a pass word to purchase.
How did you set that up? I need that.

-
Back