Fact or Fiction ?

-

Darter6

Reaction score
I have heard that some guys that run in Stock class will use SAE30W in the differential . And use only one quart. Anyone ever hear that ?

When I was a hard core BMX racer, we experimented with using lighter weight, lower friction lubricants for the crank and wheel bearings.

We tried WD40, butter, and several cooking oils.

To me none was worth the extra labor of changing back to regular grease after the race. I did find a happy medium with white lithium, when I could afford it.

Nothing surprises me when going for record runs........

Doubt it's a regular thing. As long as the're under the index and qualify, it's mostly bracket racing.........unless you're unfortunate enough to hit your same class on the ladder :D.

I heard of them only running three quarts of oil in the motor , so there would be no loss of h.p. from oil pump drag from about 1/2 track on too.
Only when firing a bullet , but I heard it was a common practice.

I have heard that some guys that run in Stock class will use SAE30W in the differential . And use only one quart. Anyone ever hear that ?

You have no idea what a stock or super stock racer will do for a hundreth of a second.

Have you ever seen the aftermarket engine blocks with the enclosed cam tunnels? Well, you can do that with a stock block too. The list of little tricks like that is endless.

seen 0w-30 oil in one a few weeks ago before racing class elimination.

You have no idea what a stock or super stock racer will do for a hundreth of a second. .

I'd believe some guys'd try anything. Here's a story about kart racing about which I know nothing.

Read a mag article a few years ago in which "they claimed.................."

They had a kart class "designed" to be cheap to race. They specified a certain model BS engine that you HAD to run, and you could not do anything to it.

BUT "in the rules" there was a clause that said if you blew a rod, damaged the block, it was OK to weld up the damage and repair the block

SO....................

guys were cutting out the cam bearing sections of the block, and welding/ brazing them back in to reposition them TO CHANGE CAM TIMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So instantly a "cheap" class is now at the mercy of the "play to the rules" crowd.

======================

I also remember a 70s? article about a guy who won the nationals Pure Stock with I think a Buick GS. He worked for a dealer, who had money, so even though you could not blueprint the engine, they did stuff like bought a whole basket of pistons and picked out the closest 8

I'd believe some guys'd try anything. Here's a story about kart racing about which I know nothing.

Read a mag article a few years ago in which "they claimed.................."

They had a kart class "designed" to be cheap to race. They specified a certain model BS engine that you HAD to run, and you could not do anything to it.

BUT "in the rules" there was a clause that said if you blew a rod, damaged the block, it was OK to weld up the damage and repair the block

SO....................

guys were cutting out the cam bearing sections of the block, and welding/ brazing them back in to reposition them TO CHANGE CAM TIMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So instantly a "cheap" class is now at the mercy of the "play to the rules" crowd.

======================

I also remember a 70s? article about a guy who won the nationals Pure Stock with I think a Buick GS. He worked for a dealer, who had money, so even though you could not blueprint the engine, they did stuff like bought a whole basket of pistons and picked out the closest 8

That is the nature of the beast. :D
The original concept behind the 10.5 tire class was to keep it affordable for most. To be competitive now takes serious bank..........and I do mean serious. A few years back , I was at Houston raceway Park and saw 632 inch Gene Fulton motors on three stages and a turbo Mustang with more electronics on it that a jet plane. O.K. , the last one was an exaggeration. But not by much. lol Stock eliminator is very far from cheap and super stock is at least four times worse.

I would expect it. And I'd expect a lot more.

In Winston Cup before that had the quarantine between qualifying and the race guy would run lightweight oil at a reduced level. There was also "qualifying gears". Not special just because of the ratio, but they were seriously lighting.

A lightweight center section will have the housing machined down, gear width at minimum/reduced, outer gear backcut, yoke lightened, AND to top it off the ring gear is BRIDGED. Bridged meaning that between the gear bolt a hollow space is machined out.

I know of guys using 0-20 or even 0-10 in the engines,, but was thinking for the rear...Why not ?The car is for drag race only. I'm planning on a swap from 3.73 with sure grip to 4.30 set up that I have with a spool in a low H.P.(300) car. When I go to buy new rear tires.Plan on 27.5'' from the 26'' I have now.

When I was a hard core BMX racer, we experimented with using lighter weight, lower friction lubricants for the crank and wheel bearings.

We tried WD40, butter, and several cooking oils.

To me none was worth the extra labor of changing back to regular grease after the race. I did find a happy medium with white lithium, when I could afford it.

Want to reduce rolling resistance in a drag or light and low lap circle track car?

Have the front wheel bearings coated with the low friction coating. Install them dry. Put an allen keyed plug in the grease cap. Drill a tiny hole in the center of the plug. Now remove plug and fill the bearing cavity to just below the plug hole with Justice Brothers Heavy Duty Vehicle (HDV/23p). Then install the plug. The tiny hole will act as a breather hole.

The Justice Brothers Heavy Duty Vehicle has an intense amount of extreme pressure (EP) additive in it. It's designed to be deluted at a ratio of 12 oz to 50 quarts of motor oil. If you run a floater rear end you can do this in the rear too.

You WILL tell the difference pushing the car around the pits. We did it with uncoated bearings. In a circle track car, you will replace the bearings about every two race with practices in between. Inspect between races. Drag car will need less inspection and more runs.

I know of guys using 0-20 or even 0-10 in the engines,, but was thinking for the rear...Why not ?The car is for drag race only. I'm planning on a swap from 3.73 with sure grip to 4.30 set up that I have with a spool in a low H.P.(300) car. When I go to buy new rear tires.Plan on 27.5'' from the 26'' I have now.

Significant HP gains from dropping oil viscosity. That's the big benefit of synthetic oils.

At your performance level , just buy gear lube.
Unless you will be running a letter class , you are just shortening the life span of parts for no good reason.
If you are confident in the seal , maybe spring for synthetic if reducing friction is that important to you.
But the fluid in your rear end absorbs shock as well as lubricates.
It would make no sense to try and squeeze .004 of a second at the cost of significantly shortened life span of your ring and pinion , and God forbid , it decides that enough is enough on the big end , you will re think everything you were raised to believe in.

True statement, It's like why chance it.So far no one said they do or have done it.
Just one of those statements that dig in your brain "Would I ? Should I ?"

Use a good synthetic and run it with 1qt in it. In a pro geared 9" and Stock Eliminator - multiple record holder stick car the gears were good for a season. Stock eliminator you really can't do much in the engine but every part is scrutinized. He would order 10 pistons to have exact spares, valves were ordered in batches of 20 and the best used, same with rockers, lifters, rods... Cam was hydraulic and the engine was run between 6800 and 8400rpm - with 135psi oil pressure to keep the lifters "solid". You can change the rears and transmissions - this car has a Jericho Vgate combo.

-
Back