fan switch getting hot

-

moparker

Reaction score
I had to replace a wiper bushing Sunday on my 75 Scamp and since then when I ran my A/C the fan switch is hot to the touch and is kind of stiff to go to the 3 settings. I did pull the radio and had push on the bottom of the heater controls to get it back in. Any ideas? I'm sure I must have screwed something up cause it was fine before hand.:banghead:

The switch plugs into the harness. It would be grounded through the harness. Maybe the switch just crapped itself.

bend the tabs open on the back of the switch and clean the contacts, and lube with dielectric grease.

Anyone have a switch?
Unlikely anyone knows what car you have. The switches varied quite a bit.
I install a relay to take the load for the blower "HI" position, otherwise the switch and push-button controller will eventually melt.

If any resistance builds up, it will heat as said and eventually melt the plastic housing. YO migth be able to salvage it if you can't get another but maybe not.

I took the switch apart yesterday and cleaned the contacts and used dye electric on the contacts. Put it back together and it seems to be fine! Thanks for the help guys.

If it gives you any more trouble, you can use CoolAmp to field silver plate the contacts and use silver loaded dielectric grease to make it even better.

-
Back