fast or atomic efi ?

-

Reaction score
ive had enough of old school carbs, i'm gonna buy an efi kit this weekend but i can't decide between fast or msd. it sounds like either one are great here's some questions for ya.

-i'll be useing an external pump, which one is quieter ?
-i read that fast uses factory parts in their throttle body?
-which one is a cleaner install?
-has anyone had any issues with either system?

ive had enough of old school carbs, i'm gonna buy an efi kit this weekend but i can't decide between fast or msd. it sounds like either one are great here's some questions for ya.

-i'll be useing an external pump, which one is quieter ?
-which one is a cleaner install?
-has anyone had any issues with either system?

The Walboro 255(GSL392) is the way to go for a fuel pump. You can barely hear it running. And they're only a hundred bucks.

Well my FAST has worked out so far. Im chasing a fuel leak on the tank pickup right now but that has nothing to do with the FAST system. Im waiting for a new tank to arrive. I have a pretty clean install. The airgap intake allows me to run the wiring under the intake and back up to each sensor. I mounted the ECU right behind the brake pedal so I can still see the light when active or if trouble codes ever pop. I have done the intial startup and tooken it around the block to fill it up, then the leak showed up so back home I went to fix that. But the locking ring on my 40 years old tank is not the best so I just went ahead and dropped coin for a new on ebay.

I was worried reading about all the other users having problems with the FAST system. But it always seemed to stem around user install problems. I followed the instruction to a T. I soldered all my connections, and paid close attention to how I ran all the wiring to avoid electrical interference. The intial start up had me freaking because it was very rough and I had to hold the thottle to keep it running. I just told myself to give it time to warm up. As soon as it reach temp 180* and the learning software kicked in it settled out real fast. After that it was idling better in five minutes than it had for 10 years. Throttle response is off the charts. The trip to the gas station everything seem to be tracking fine. I still need to put a few hundred miles on it to nail down the tune but at this point Im still very happy and have high hopes for it.

I used FAST fuel pump kit. I have it mounted right behind the gas tank and I dont recall hearing it at all over the exhaust.

Yes the FAST system uses all factory GM sensors, so if one goes bad you can pick it up at your local autoparts store, but Im sure that wont be fun either because they are all retards and they will need to know what car its for and if it an auto or if it has A/C. LMAO.

I went FAST mainly becasue the MSD was brand new at the time, nobody was running it that I could find and it is a returnless system which I don't car for. It was alittle more work to get a return line hooked to the car but thats just what I prefer.

Dislikes: When I was looking for a system, FAST told me they had future plans for updates to the software to allow the use of a poweradder. All it really needs is a MAP sensor capable of reading the boost and or the ability to shut off the learning software after the tune has had time to be astablished. But instead of updates 6 months later they anounce the release of the 2.0 version. Which just pissed me off. Because they did this only after my box had arrived and was sitting in the garage waiting for install for about a few months. I would have simply held off and bought the new one if they would have mentioned it was coming. The newer version looks nice if thats what you like. There arent to many updates to it to justify the new release. It supports more horsepower but so does the one I have if you needed it by using a additional thottlebody. The 2.0 one has a huge touch screen now, but I dont need that. once my tune in settled out, my hand held will find a home in the glovebox. It doesnt even need to be hooked up. For updates that is about it. I still does not work with a poweradder. Why would they not make that change for the updated system? I dont know.

6jik.jpg

I see you have different fuel line than what mine came with. The line they send is the worst I have ever seen. Advice for anyone shopping for the EZ Efi dont bother with the master kit, just plumb your own fuel system.

I see you have different fuel line than what mine came with. The line they send is the worst I have ever seen. Advice for anyone shopping for the EZ Efi dont bother with the master kit, just plumb your own fuel system.

Im not sure if they change it recently or what but those are the lines that came with my kit. I did purchased the master kit. So maybe they made a change to the type of line they offer. Does your have the FAST logo printed on it? Mine has the FAST logo about every 5 ft. Its a push lock fuel line used with push lock fittings. They seemed as good as any Ive used before. I had read of people complaining of them not being able to get them on the AN fitting but mine slipped right on with a little WD. No problem at all. I did check out the FAST website for more during the install incase I needed more. The same stuff they set me was only available in a full kit for $150. Thank god I didnt need it. Braided line from summit or jegs was a lot cheaper, but I made what I had work.

Good! They changed it! I told them point blank "your fuel line is a joke, worst s%^T I have ever seen!" They must of gotten the hint lol! I ended up using a Walbro in-tank fuel pump too. Once the car has a few miles on it, adjust your IAC by the reading in the handheld. Basically use the idle screw to get it at 20 +/- a couple. Set it while running and warmed up.

wow swing. i bought the fast kit today and got it 80% installed and i gotta say, that air gap made your install way cleaner that my rpm. i'm hopeing to be done my install tomorrow afternoon. fingers crossed.

Good to hear you're happy with the the FAST system. I'm considering the FAST system also. I've read a lot of people's posts about their installs, but nobody ever posts detailed pictures of their fuel hose routing, fuel pump mounting or how they did the return line into the tank.

Any chance you could take some photos of all that?

Thanks!

Good to hear you're happy with the the FAST system. I'm considering the FAST system also. I've read a lot of people's posts about their installs, but nobody ever posts detailed pictures of their fuel hose routing, fuel pump mounting or how they did the return line into the tank.

Any chance you could take some photos of all that?

Thanks!

I had plans to start a build thread as soon as I had it running for good. New fuel tank and carb hat should be here next week sometime and Ill get a few miles on the car to get a real honest opinion of the system. Not only does the system need time to sort out the tune but my motor is brand new as well. So Id like to get some miles in for break in.

I recommend working out the fuel supply first, since you need that for any EFI system. You can easily rig it to run your carb for now by just using the ~3 psi return drop to supply the carb, and that will let you keep a carb in the trunk for emergency backup. Designing the fueling is not bolt-up and may prove time consuming. Many posts on different ways people have done it, including me.

sensor wise they are all GM parts i believe.

the injectors are fast only things from what i understand..

FAST Prices:
307003 - Coolant temp $10.45
307004 - Air temp $10.45
307028 - TPS $57.70
307029 - MAP $51.08
307059 - IAC $83.99
170408 - O2 $94.45

307003 GM part# 25036979
307004 GM part# 25037334
307028 GM part# 17106681
307029 GM part# 16212460
307059 GM part# 17113598
170408 Bosch part# 0258007206

Fast Ez efi 2.0... allows you to switch from e85 to regular gas....or the Holley system allows you to run boost and nitrous

cleanest install... profesional products efi powerjection3 hands down
Looks like a carb,boost friendly, laptop tuneable

so ive put abot 50 miles on and i'm impressed, just as everyone else says, incredible throttle response, even a tad better than my old thermoquad that i use to boast so much about. i don't have to sit at lights useing both feet anymore either!!
i'm learning a little more on how to adjust the af setup, today i richened my idle up 1 point and my cruise by one point, runs even better yet, the best part about that is it's all done with a push of the button.

check out post #13 in this thread... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=119066&highlight=fast+efi

_DSC3627.jpg

I have about 2000 miles on the setup - runs great - made 21 more HP then my holley 390's and gets better mileage - starts right up and idles without touching the pedal

DSC_8651.jpg

they take the same linkage and air cleaner as the carbs so I didnt even have to adjust the lokar cable

DSC_8673.jpg

the fuel system was key- rock valley supplied an in tank pump and it was the best option since I didnt want touse a 40 year old tank behind new injectors and possibly clog them

YouTube - 00306

Keep in mind I have a 2000 CFM EFI system capable of handling 1000 horse on top of a stock 360 ( small valve heads ) and it runs fine!
I cant get it to bog if I tried.

the EZ system smoothed out my idle from a carb'd tunnel ram - i cant think of a instance that would be a worse condition to clean up then mine... it did, and it idles like i could never get it to before... took most of the shake from my car... I'm sure some people actually would not like the way it smoothed out the idle...

Notice the heater hose lines...

before.....

efi

YouTube - 00305

the EZ system smoothed out my idle from a carb'd tunnel ram - i cant think of a instance that would be a worse condition to clean up then mine... it did, and it idles like i could never get it to before... took most of the shake from my car... I'm sure some people actually would not like the way it smoothed out the idle...

Notice the heater hose lines...

before.....

efi

YouTube - 00305

i really wouldnt bother unless your going MPFI... i mean the EZ is a good upgrade but going to port injection is just that much better...

i really wouldnt bother unless your going MPFI... i mean the EZ is a good upgrade but going to port injection is just that much better...

That's a pretty broad stroke of the pen and not entirely true. A lot of MP systems are still batch fire which adds in extra complication with little return in average performance.

wow swing. i bought the fast kit today and got it 80% installed and i gotta say, that air gap made your install way cleaner that my rpm. i'm hopeing to be done my install tomorrow afternoon. fingers crossed.

Pulled the trigger to fast....no pun. They just came out with a new kit.

That's a pretty broad stroke of the pen and not entirely true. A lot of MP systems are still batch fire which adds in extra complication with little return in average performance.

really? i didn't know they even still offered batch fire... and i agree batch fire is 1/2 better than mechanical! LOL

I've done some reading on this, and from what I've seen, other than low end idle, low speed cruise quality, and emissions, there just might not be a hellofalot'o advantage to sequential over batch/ bank fire.

-
Back