Fastback Owners Seat Belt Anchor

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I need a favor... Could someone measure the location of the upper seat belt anchor in the roof rail on their Fastback for me? I installed my headliner without marking the bolt hole location. Feeling throught the material I *think* I found the opening, but I really don't want to start poking through the `liner. I bought some aftermarket 3 point retractable belts and need to find the upper anchor hole.

SANY0003-vi.jpg

NOTE TO SELF: Leave the bolts IN for all the things you have to mount when replacing a headliner. Mirrors screws...sun visor screws...seat belts....ETC.

I appreciate the reply, but I have NO IDEA where the hole would be in your pictures! I was kinda hoping for a reference from, let's say.... the end of the interior roof rail trim forward to the mount, and how many inches up from the trim.

Could you check again and send me the measurements? Thanks!

John, its about 1.5" DIRECTLY above the chrome vertical strip that is attached to the front door glass. I felt thru my headliner and found the mounting point after I looked at my buddys 68 fastback(bobs old one).

I got pics of mine with a fat finger pointing to it if you want them....

I just purchased the same belt kit for my 68 Coupe. Is there a hole for the upper mount if the car didn't originally have shoulder belts. I peeled back the liner along the edge and found a bracket that is an inch or two behind the chrome edge on the rear window that is double thick but the piece of metal towards the interior only has a small hole. Is this the place they mounton a coupe?

John, I have a bench seat and with the seat back where I want it for leg room the recoil end of the belt set won't fit in between. I was figuring I would mount the long bracket to the floor and the recoil to the bracket so it sits a little higher. Do you have buckets and does it fit OK.

I saw these belts from XV Motor Sports in a 69 Road Runner a couple of weeks ago and he had a bench and he had to mount the recoil at an angle pointing back to fit.

I've found that a good way to locate the hole is by using an awl and placing the tip thru one of the holes in a perforated headliner, and you can feel the hole opening to locate it exactly without messing up the headliner itself.

John, I have a bench seat and with the seat back where I want it for leg room the recoil end of the belt set won't fit in between. I was figuring I would mount the long bracket to the floor and the recoil to the bracket so it sits a little higher. Do you have buckets and does it fit OK.

I too have a bench seat and the retractors will NOT fit between the seats and the frame rail. Today I fabricated a mounting plate out of 3/8" steel. I'll have a full how-to installation for those of you whom still come here for this kind of stuff.... :-D

And yes, I'd LOVE pictures Steve! Although the dimensions you gave should be good enough, I'm kinda mentally challenged at times and enjoy a good old picture.....:angry7:

As for the belts themselves, I bought mine here:

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html

I know it says conversion van for the application, but that was the way to get them with the drop bar for the belt. This places the shoulder belt lower and more comfortable. The factory set-up sucks.... Sit tight, I should have the sequence done by the weekend. Maybe with a burn-out video too...... 8)

I just purchased the same belt kit for my 68 Coupe. Is there a hole for the upper mount if the car didn't originally have shoulder belts. I peeled back the liner along the edge and found a bracket that is an inch or two behind the chrome edge on the rear window that is double thick but the piece of metal towards the interior only has a small hole. Is this the place they mounton a coupe?

I saw these belts from XV Motor Sports in a 69 Road Runner a couple of weeks ago and he had a bench and he had to mount the recoil at an angle pointing back to fit.

Dave, there should be a hole about 1/2" in diameter just above that chrome trim on the window to anchor the belt whether the car was equipped with shoulder belts or not. About 3 inches to the rear of the belt attachment point is a small hole (maybe 1/8") for the coat hook. Cars equipped with shoulder belts will have clips at the pivot points of the sun visors to snap the belts into when not in use.

That's what I found yesterday, the coat hook hole.... Good thing I didn't go after it with a knife. ESPECIALLY after all I went through getting the headliner in!

I should be good to go now. Thanks to everyone whom replied and contributed. :toothy10:

But I want to know where you found a blue headliner? All I can find are white and black. Way to go!

You can by vinyl dye at automotive paint supply stores,any color you want,would be best to intall the headliner first,then clean it really good then mask and spray,lasts a long time

I will look, you know how we are about our cars.........
Thanks.

Dave, there should be a hole about 1/2" in diameter just above that chrome trim on the window to anchor the belt whether the car was equipped with shoulder belts or not. About 3 inches to the rear of the belt attachment point is a small hole (maybe 1/8") for the coat hook. Cars equipped with shoulder belts will have clips at the pivot points of the sun visors to snap the belts into when not in use.

The coat hook hole must be what I was feeling. Thanks!

John, I was figuring I would have to make a new mounting point too for the retractor. If only the factory mounting hole was back at the same point as the one on the hump there would be no issue.

I just added a set of those van belts to my "santa" list. Thanks for the link and other info here. FABO rocks !

Here is my fat finger just above the chrome trim....(door is still open) but just feel it with your finger....its there..

DSC02645.1.jpg

Thanks for the picture Steve... Now I know where to attack. :-D

DGC333: Let me see if I have enough scrap to make a second set of retractor mounts..... I'll PM you later today. 8)

John, Thanks!

Send me your mailing address.... I made a second set. Nothing over the top pretty, but functional. Hit them with a quickie coat of paint (or send `em to Leanna...) and you should be good to go. 8)

John, Thanks a bunch. I sent you a PM with my address. If you get up the Boston way let me know and I will buy the beers! :)

-
Back