Father and Son '71 Duster

-

SassyGrass71

Reaction score
I did a quick intro in the Welcome section so I will be brief. My name is Sam, and my 16 year old is Ian. For a first car he chose a '71 Duster. I was able to pick it up at a real good price, but soon found out that Mopars empty the pocket real fast. :D This is my first father/son project but wont be the last, i have three boys. 16,14, and 10. Sorry guys, the 14 year old is a Mustang man and we already have a 65 parked in the north 40 waiting its turn. The 10 year old wants a 68-70 Charger but I just said "in your dreams". He does not have a second choise yet, so maybe I can sneak something in for me before he comes up with something else. :D

Ian and I have been collecting parts and having machine work done in preperation for the start, over the last year. What we are starting with is a 1971 Duster, and according to the build plate decoder it is SassyGrass Green, black bench seat interior, 2bbl 318, floor shift 3spd, manual drum brakes and steering with rallye wheels. Pretty much unmolested, with a few parts missing and a frozen engine. We already have rounded up the missing parts, purchased all new brakes form the master cyl on out, new shocks as well, and did some trading for a 1973 360 that already was bored .60 over and ready for assembling. We bought a complete rebuild kit, clutch pack, mild cam, edelbrock intake and carb with 340 style exhaust manifolds. We have the upholstry kit, carpet, and headliner, along with new driver side rear quarter skin, and both drop offs, still need to get right rear fender patch for behind the rear wheel along with all the window rubber, body gaskets, and seals, etc, etc. :banghead:

So engine is ready for assembly, wheels have already been repainted and new tires mounted so we can roll it around, and this afternoon we got the front clip tore off and engine compartment stripped in prep for painting. A few more things will be removed after steam cleaning. Updates will be sporadic until school is out for the summer. Here are a few shots of where we are at. First pics are of how we found it.

Thanks for following along. :D

Attachments

• Sams Car Pics 323.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 602
  • Duster 013.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 605
  • Duster 011.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 598
  • Duster 010.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 593
  • 4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 630
  • 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 616
  • 6.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 631
  • Sams Car Pics 325.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 609
Man, that is so cool.. kudos to you for making the time to spend on this project with your son, and planning to do the same with your other sons. This will be something they never forget! And, see if you can get your OTHER son to go for an old Camaro or Nova.. they're nearly as cheap to get parts for as Mustangs... In the end, it's not going to be the brand of car that matters.. it's going to be the valuable time and memories that they spend with you on them.

Ian is one lucky kid to have a Dad that will work on a project with him. Also, tell Ian he has great taste. That looks like a really good find! Keep us updated with photos, and if you get stuck there are a ton of members on here who can help!

Welcome Sam (and Ian). I started building our 72 Duster w/my daughters (11 yo twins) last summer and have been having an absolute blast spinning wrenches with them. Building great memories as well as a cool car. Have fun and look forward to following your build.

Pat

Welcome to FABO ! I love to see father/son projects, and a duster is a great choice! ( I have a lime green 71 myself) Your a great dad to spend time with your sons, and rebuilding that car will teach him a lot, which is great ! It;s nice to see kids geting involved in the hobby ( or any hobby) and not just sitting in front of the TV playing video games, so Kudos to you for being a great parent.

lovin the sassy grass green. that black "duster" stripe across the bottom is looking pertneer factory, but i dont recall ever seeing one before...can anyone confirm?

Looks like a great project, doesn't seem to be a lot of rust to deal with.
Cudos to you and your son for taking it on and working together.
Love the color and the plans for the build.
How about some pics of the Mustang too?

As said already, welcome! I see in one of the first pictures that there is a Dart sport there, is that car being parted out? I need some parts for one of my projects. That is a really cool little Duster, congrats to you and Ian. There is a lot of great people here that can help you out with about any info you need.

Jeremy

Thanks for all the intrest. :blob:

J-Macs Mopars, The Dart sport is a friends, he has two he hopes to build one out of. He is the one that found the Duster and turned me on to it. He also has some sweet mopars. a 73 340 "cuda Clone, a 73 BB Roadrunner, and he is currently working on a Plum Crazy '70 BB Demon.

DartNut, other than the rear quarter rust, it has some pin holes in one front floor pan, and in the spare tire well. A quarter size patch will be needed in the driver front door. The rest is real solid. I will see what I can do about the Mustang pics. We are building one out of two and a pile of parts from a third. :D

73AbodEE, yea, the stripe looks factory but I have not found any other examples like it either.

Since picking this up, I also dragged home a 64 Barracuda and a 47 Dodge sedan. :D

Attachments

• 1975 Chevy PU 024.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 544
  • downsized_1001111456b.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 527
  • Falcon and Jeep 022.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 529
  • Falcon and Jeep 017.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 521
Welcome! Awesome Duster! Can't wait to see its progress. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Oh my the barracuda and sedan are gonna be sooo much fun!

Yea, but with both boys cars, and five other projects of my own, I think I need to pare down a couple more. The 47 Dodge might just go to help fund the Cuda.

How much did you get the 47 for?

Not sure what I'm going to ask for it yet, still needs a little work to get it running.

Now on to the comedy of errors. :smile:

Today we managed to get the transmission pulled and my wife had some fun with her camera...at my expense. :) How many people does it take to find a dropped nut in the grass without a magnet ? lol Then Ian got a lesson is steam cleaning, and we ended up with a nice clean tranny. :cheers:

We would have moved on to assembling the shortblock, but found that the rear main seal was missing from the gasket set. :banghead: We will pick that up tomorrow and have some more pics for you all....I hope. :smile:

Attachments

• tranny 001.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 473
  • duster pics 005.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 511
  • g.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 474
  • f.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 480
  • e.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 488
  • d.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 500
  • c.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 499
  • b.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 485
Great start. Good to see your boys are into it too. Looking forward to progress.:coffee2:

Thanks everyone. :) Today was a little slow, our gasket set was short the rear main seal and could not get one before tuesday. So we cleaned up and blasted some other parts and have the Duster moved down to my work where we can finish preping and spraying the engine compartment.

How is the CB antenna Mounted do ya have pics?

It really is fun workin with your dad on a car. Me and my dad are puttin together a 1974 Dart Swinger. And soon a 1973 Duster
Here is a couple pics of the swinger I got more in my gallery.

Attachments

• Dart Swinger 2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Dart Swinger.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 430
How is the CB antenna Mounted do ya have pics?

It really is fun workin with your dad on a car. Me and my dad are puttin together a 1974 Dart Swinger. And soon a 1973 Duster
Here is a couple pics of the swinger I got more in my gallery.

Sorry I missed your post. That is a sweet little swinger. The CB antenna is a real easy one. Drill a hole in the center of the lid and bolt it on. lol It will be removed and hole patched before paint. ;-)

The Duster is in the shop tonight and we will work on it most of the day tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some updates before the weekend is over.

:blob:

Thats fine Any progresws since?
When you take it off could I get the antenna?

When I'm ready to take it off and fill the hole, I'll let you know.

About progress. :blob::blob::blob:

Ian and I were able to get the engine compartment prepped and painted as well as most of the upholstry kit installed, along with a general cleaning of the floorboard. I have some pinholes in the passenger front to take care of before the carpet can go in. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• Duster 005.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 325
  • Duster 005 (2).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Duster 004 (2).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 335
  • 0728122149.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 338
  • 0728121133.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 346
  • duster 1 001.jpg