Father, Son, and Grand Father project. 1963 Valiant

-
IMG_1848.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG

We found this dent on the pass side rocker panel filled with about an inch of bondo. This car has had a rough life. Lol.

So my uncle came over with his stud gun and we got most of the dent out. Only a light slick is going to be required to get it straight.

While he was over, he brought his ports power to massage the tail light panel and trunk opening.

IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1859.JPG

With a lot of love and a little massaging he got it straight as an arrow. He also got the trunk lid adjusted damn near perfect with some massaging of the trunk hinges.

It was a productive day. A lot got done. Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason.

I finally got a day off. And with Jason being on winter break, we're going to get some more sanding done on the car today. I'll post pics, but I will warn you…they won't be very exciting. Lol.

That's the hard part about this point in the project. Jasons about sick of sanding, but he understands it has to be done. But he's ready to move onto something else. Lol.

Thanks. Eric and Jason

IMG_1875.JPG

Well it was a pretty productive day. We got a lot of "busy" work done.

First we chucked Jason into the trunk with the explicit instructions, "if it has paint on it, scuff it". He got the majority of the trunk scuffed out and ready for primer.

IMG_1877.JPG

Than we set him to work block sanding, and sanding the filler recently applied to the trim holes we welded up in the rockers.

IMG_1879.JPG

Than we did some more panel alignment on the trunk lid and tail panel. A little hammer and dolly work on the rear pan also. I think we got it good enough to meet our standards.

IMG_1876.JPG

And MY job for the day was block sanding…and block sanding…and than more block sanding. Me and Jason both agree that we are sick of sanding. Lol

IMG_1878.JPG

And than we found a few of the 1 million parking lot dings, (you have to say it with your pinky up to the corner of your mouth like DR Evil) and started the daunting task of filling and blocking those as well.

So, nothing big or exciting to report, but it's progress nonetheless. Slowly but surely getting really close to being in primer. Than guess what…yep, you guessed it…more block sanding. Lol

Thanks for reading. We're going to take some ibuprofen and rest our arms. Lol. Thanks. Eric and Jason.

SANDING SUCKS!

Yes it does. Espically when your 14 years old and have better things to do. Lol. It's hard to explain that to him. I keep telling him it gets better from here. That with every stroke of that sand paper your that much closer to a perfect paint job.

After this point, the car starts going back together again.

I'd guess that we probably have another two days worth of work or so until it's ready for epoxy primer. Than it's spot puddy and more block sanding. Than another coat of primer.

Than we can move on to other things. Thank you baby Jesus. Lol

Not to take anything away from Eric and Grandpa, but I'm very proud of Jason, he is a very fine young man who is the real deal when it comes to his car, and everything he is doing in his life! He is just a great young man who is not afraid to get dirty, do his own work, and follow through on what he sets out to accomplish! The car will be HIS because he is making it so, but the real lessons here are with Dad and Grandpa, and how he is using those lessons to become the fine young man he is!! Way to go Jason, you're making your dad and grandpa proud, and all of us humbled!!!

We all know, as much as it sucks, it has to be done and the more/better prep work completed, the better the final product. In the same vein as the an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or aim small miss small sayings.

I think it's gonna be awesome and he'll be ecstatic with it. Putting this much effort into something, sacrificing your personal time--especially at his age--will likely result in a very happy young man who knows the value and reward of sweat equity.

Not to take anything away from Eric and Grandpa, but I'm very proud of Jason, he is a very fine young man who is the real deal when it comes to his car, and everything he is doing in his life! He is just a great young man who is not afraid to get dirty, do his own work, and follow through on what he sets out to accomplish! The car will be HIS because he is making it so, but the real lessons here are with Dad and Grandpa, and how he is using those lessons to become the fine young man he is!! Way to go Jason, you're making your dad and grandpa proud, and all of us humbled!!!

We all know, as much as it sucks, it has to be done and the more/better prep work completed, the better the final product. In the same vein as the an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or aim small miss small sayings.

I think it's gonna be awesome and he'll be ecstatic with it. Putting this much effort into something, sacrificing your personal time--especially at his age--will likely result in a very happy young man who knows the value and reward of sweat equity.

Thank you very much Cosgig and TXSTANG84. That compliment means the world to Jason. Especially coming from you guys.

Cosgig, We could never have done this without the help, kindness, and insite of you, and everyone else on this site.

Everyone's encouragement and interest in this project is really exciting for all three of us, but especially for Jason. Your support means the world to him.

That's why this site/forum has always felt the most like home/family to me. We might be dis functional, but non the less we're family here on FABO. Lol.

Thanks for everything. Eric and Jason.

There are some good folks on here to be sure.

It seems to me that Jason already has the tools to succeed: 2 generations of teachers, the canvas on which to build, and good sense to listen and learn from those teachers, and a solid measure of patience. It doesn't feel like that long ago (I'm only 39), I was working on my first car in my dad's driveway with him guiding a good part of the effort. I still have that car (the basis for my screenname, an '84 Mustang), and it's long overdue for a refresh.

I always look forward to reading about projects where generations of car guys are involved in resurrecting a once langering hulk of metal into something awesome, and I do believe this will fit that description.

Keep on keepin on fellas!

There are some good folks on here to be sure.

It seems to me that Jason already has the tools to succeed: 2 generations of teachers, the canvas on which to build, and good sense to listen and learn from those teachers, and a solid measure of patience. It doesn't feel like that long ago (I'm only 39), I was working on my first car in my dad's driveway with him guiding a good part of the effort. I still have that car (the basis for my screenname, an '84 Mustang), and it's long overdue for a refresh.

I always look forward to reading about projects where generations of car guys are involved in resurrecting a once langering hulk of metal into something awesome, and I do believe this will fit that description.

Keep on keepin on fellas!

I hear ya brother. It's ironic. My valiant was my first car also. I still have it also. I'm about the same age as you, (40), and I learned from my father in the same barn we're doing jasons car in. Lol

I guess it's the circle of life my friend. Lol. Thanks. Eric.

Not a lot to report today. Jason was at school, the weather sucked, (15 degrees), so me and dad locked ourselves in the barn. Lol.

More block sanding and filler.

I installed the trunk torsion bar slide that Cosgig sent me to replace the one that broke while aligning the trunk lid. Thanks again Geoff.

I finished scuffing down the trunk in preparation for primer while dad finished blocking the rockers.

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

Than we went around the car and found all the spots that needed filler and got those taken care of.

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

All and all, it was a productive day of busy work. We're probably about 2 days of busy work away from priming.

Dads going back to work next Monday after 3 months off with his knee replacement. So we're kinda hoping we can spray primer on Sunday. We will see. It depends on how the rest of the busy work goes. I don't want to rush it, but I'm also guilty of over thinking stuff…often. Lol

After primer comes MORE block sanding, than glazing puddy for anything small we missed while it was in bare metal.

Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason.

A little before and after shot of the wheels we picked up for jasons car.

He polished his……fingers off. Lol

I'm very proud of him.

We bought 6 wheels for $400. As you can tell from the first photo they were in pretty sad shape.

We polished all of them, took the 4 we needed and sold the other two for $200.

Just trying to teach the boy how to maximize his dollar.

IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG

An early test fit on the car shortly after the 8.8 swap. They fit great, but could use a little more back space

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1155.JPG

A couple pictures from when we first got it in December of 2014 and another from December of 2016. A lot can change in 2 years. Lol. My little bear is getting to big.

IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_1806.JPG

Me doing my impersonation of right hand drive. Lol

Cranky mate, I'm on the wrong side of the bloody car! Lol

IMG_0768.JPG

Grand father teaching grandson how to use a DA on the old hood when the project first started. Jason has come a long ways since than. Lol. Now he's a DA and block sanding madman.

No…not really. He's throughly sick of sanding as am I. Lol

IMG_0773.JPG

The interior floors are ground clean now. Just need to strip the paint off the top of the doors and we're almost ready to prime.

It still blows my mind how clean this car is.

IMG_1784.JPG

Random pic of what I did on my summer vacation when I wasn't workin.

Race track. Lol

IMG_1768.PNG

-
Back