Favorite 80' s rock and roll band, only good stuff..need apply.

-
Truly a hard question as it was also an era where music was changing but if I had to nail
It down to the most played groups in the car on cruise nights it would have to read something like AC/DC, Rush and Motley Crue with a bit of Nazareth thrown in

I'm a little confused since I think I see some being named that, as far as I know, aren't from the 80s.
They predate it.
And copy clones don't count.
Cow punk was new, wasn't it?]

thanks for the Scorchers! one of my favorites.

Listened to quite a few of the ones mentioned. This one of my favorites and just an epic story.

Last edited:
Stray Cats. Simple 3 instrument trio
Van Halen 1984....I know Hot for Teacher either makes or breaks the band but it sounded so good in my 65 Barracuda with the back deck covered in wood flooring (!) and no headliner. Talk about 10 inch woofers, no mid-range and soft dome tweeters all facing forward in the divider powered by a Pyramid 100w Amp. Groovy!
AC/DC Maximum Overdrive soundtrack.
Kraftwerk (never heard of them? I think you have heard about 12 of their samples and didnt know it)

I have an affinity for 3 man bands, and one of the best in that rhealm is Triumph! Rick Emmet is a tour de force when it comes to making his share of sound, just a great guitarist, and a great singer to boot! I will go on to say Rush as well, and of course, the main man of the 80's was Ronnie James Dio. His stage presence, and his spot on vocals were the stuff of legend!
best 3 man band ,..easy...ZZ top!!

They are right there with Van Halen in regards to how their style changed the music industry IMO..... They were in a different league...

JW
There's truth ,in that post... 3 white boys ,as rappers ? Rick Rubin ,made it happen.

So for me I was fortunate to grow up around the music biz.
My mom's boyfriend was an amp guru.
He worked on anyone from the seattle area's amps that was known.
One of the guitarists from Queensryche used to come over in his 69 gto judge Chris Degarmo.
For my 16th birthday in 87 I got to go backstage at AC/DC Queensryche at the Tacoma dome.
I also got to go to Queensryches studio and watch them rehearse for the Empire tour and play operation mindcrime in it's entirety. I think that was in 89 or 90 can't remember ?
The studio was in Redmond off willows road .
That was the best !!!
Empire tour ,had a life of it's own ....Incredible album ,and tour.

Seen those guys ,4 times... seem to be going into mystic '60's blues ,and old school rock .
eliminator album was big in the 80s! especially on MTV!! afterburner did well to and was sound track to one of the "back to the future" movies that were such big hits in the mid 80s!

eliminator album was big in the 80s! especially on MTV!! afterburner did well to and was sound track to one of the "back to the future" movies that were such big hits in the mid 80s!
It's their fluidity in music culture ,that makes them enduring. If you saw them at UNLV stadium, in '91 ...and saw them at. Avila Beach ,California ..a decade ago... I saw these guys change .

Two more legitimate ones that count from the 80s
Both really, really should have done "better" ....

For years this video was on YouTube only as a bad quality MTV clip.
Now........I see a Renaissance.

Here's the back story.
Guadalcanal Diary - Watusi Rodeo 1983

REM?

Guadalcanal Diary - Litany (Life Goes On)

Timothy Pane11 months ago
Best band from Athens! Sorry REM!

Guadalcanal Diary - Litany (Life Goes On) Live 07/02/2011 Smith's Old Bar Atlanta, GA

The B52s would get honorable mention but they are TECHNICALLY from 1976.

Last edited:
Whitesnake, Bullet Boys, Def Leppard, Van Halen and Van Hagar...lol! Ratt, Scorpions, Bryan Adams, Sammy Hagar, Quite Riot!

I’m like Pishta...when I was 15 and I had just gotten my 68 Notchback with a /6...I saved up for my cassette stereo (Kraco) with my 4x10’s on deck and my powered equalizer!!! Man I thought I was da bomb!!! Lol

Yeah, watched Stevie all three times he was on Austin City Limits. Been trying to find those DVD's of those shows...... Would snatch up in a heartbeat!

I have all three of them! A friend of mine who’s a sound engineer at one of the shows are used to work in made me copies! P.m. me and I’ll make ya a copy!

-
Back