Favorite Craigslist find ever! I wish I had the money! 1971 Scamp

-

1970dartcustom

of the Moore clan
Reaction score
1971 Plymouth Scamp

1971 Scamp, shark-tooth grille, 8 3/4 rear, no motor/tranny, scoop hood...

Has original fender tag, door vin, and dash vin...

Seems like it has no rust and is a beautiful example of one of my favorite cars...

Maybe one of you would appreciate it as much as me :)

ssscamp.jpg

ssscamp2.jpg

Just FYI, that's originally a /6 car. And that's not an original dual scoop hood either. Someone has added some nice parts though. On the bright side, if you show the guy a decode of the fender tag maybe you can talk him down to a grand.

Here you go. That's about as few options as you can have on a car. The high impact paint color is about the only thing it had going for it stock. But needless to say, the grille, the 8 3/4, the stripe on the hood, the scoops, the K member- none of it's stock. It does look really clean though.

VH23:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
High
2 Door Hardtop

B1R: 198 125HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Windsor, ONT, CAN

216553: Sequence number

E22: 198 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 125hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
EL5: Butterscotch Exterior Color
D2XW: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Black/White
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
225: Build Date: February 25
163077: Order number

EL5: Butterscotch Top Color
U: USA Specifications
22: Unknown
J31: Dual Horns
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

Just FYI, that's originally a /6 car. And that's not an original dual scoop hood either. Someone has added some nice parts though. On the bright side, if you show the guy a decode of the fender tag maybe you can talk him down to a grand.
Maybe your right about talking him down...

I don't much care myself if a car is original or not unless its a high dollar rig; I just really like this period of Scamp.

My first Mopar was a 1971 Scamp :)

Oh I don't care if a car is original or not, my '74 Duster turned '71 Demon tribute should say enough about that. :D

I just wanted to point out that pretty much everything the guy selling the car implied in his ad is false. None of the high value parts originally belonged to that car. The parts by themselves are probably worth what he's asking, but, that's not some high option car he's selling.

Dual scoop hood without the scoops...

So it's just a hood....

V-8 car with no v-8???

But it could be made into a decent car...

Oh I don't care if a car is original or not, my '74 Duster turned '71 Demon tribute should say enough about that. :D

I just wanted to point out that pretty much everything the guy selling the car implied in his ad is false. None of the high value parts originally belonged to that car. The parts by themselves are probably worth what he's asking, but, that's not some high option car he's selling.
I see what you're saying :) Thanks for your input...

I'd go haggle with him for sure if I wasn't knee deep in my Dart build and trying to maintain our existence...

Dual scoop hood without the scoops...

So it's just a hood....

V-8 car with no v-8???

But it could be made into a decent car...

Not only missing the scoops, it doesn't have the 4 1/8" holes the dual scoop hoods had. Just drilled for the mounting bolts, not the fresh air.

Looks like a nice clean car though, and the parts collected so far are pretty nice too. As long as you know that they were collected, not originally on the car.

The "rising tide" of the B and E body prices have certainly affected the A body cars. A few years back, that was a $600 car.
Yeah, the grille is the cool one but even with a stock Valiant/Duster/Scamp grille, that is not a $2500 car.

"Title missing bill of sale only" that means it a $1000 parts car to me.

???
Many states will let you register an antique vehicle without a title. N.H. (where I live) won't even issue one for a vehicle over 25 years old.

It does have a chin spoiler that is pretty cool. But yeah, no title slant car with a curtain of primer hiding god knows what... $1k all day

At $2500, it's not a bad deal!! At $1800 I would buy it, put a motor in it and drive it!!!
I agree, that would be a perfect car to drive looking as is and have some fun with!
I bet it sells for $1500 to $1800.................

well the grill can probably pull $600 to the right buyer, $900 for the body, $500 for the rear, $2000-ish is top dollar. if it were local i would offer $1500.

It does have a chin spoiler that is pretty cool. But yeah, no title slant car with a curtain of primer hiding god knows what... $1k all day

If you simply add up the add ons, you can subtract that from the real value of the car! The sum of those parts alone is about $1k, so you could get into Scamp for $500-800, put your extra low dollar parts on it that you have laying around, and have a nice little run around Scamp on the cheep cheep cheep!! I hear young guys whine all the time how the hobby is too expensive to get into, here's the perfect way to do it!!!

Not only missing the scoops, it doesn't have the 4 1/8" holes the dual scoop hoods had. Just drilled for the mounting bolts, not the fresh air.

Looks like a nice clean car though, and the parts collected so far are pretty nice too. As long as you know that they were collected, not originally on the car.
If I'm not mistaking the Duster's with the dual scoops never had the 4" holes drilled out. I know the hood on my Duster doesn't. It has all the holes to mount the scoops and has 4 small holes drilled where the perimeter of the 4" holes would be. I'll grab a pic of mine here shortly, once it stops raining

???
Many states will let you register an antique vehicle without a title. N.H. (where I live) won't even issue one for a vehicle over 25 years old.

Yeah in California you'd just need an inspection. Take the car to the DMV with the bill of sale, they check the VIN and a body stamping or two, good to go.

If I'm not mistaking the Duster's with the dual scoops never had the 4" holes drilled out. I know the hood on my Duster doesn't. It has all the holes to mount the scoops and has 4 small holes drilled where the perimeter of the 4" holes would be. I'll grab a pic of mine here shortly, once it stops raining

I think the Twisters were the only Dusters to get dual scoops from the factory. In the dealer data books for '70/71 it doesn't list any kind of hood scoop (j54), just a blackout paint code and 340 call out(v24). Not even for the 340 cars. '72 came in with the snorkel scoop.

Yea the Duster's twisters were the only ones to have the scoops, I'm just saying the hood could be an original twister hood since, if my memory serves me right, the twister hoods never had the 4" holes drilled like the 340 Darts did

If you simply add up the add ons, you can subtract that from the real value of the car! The sum of those parts alone is about $1k, so you could get into Scamp for $500-800, put your extra low dollar parts on it that you have laying around, and have a nice little run around Scamp on the cheep cheep cheep!! I hear young guys whine all the time how the hobby is too expensive to get into, here's the perfect way to do it!!!

100000% correct. Id do it if I didnt have my scamp already

-
Back